Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Saturday, December 17, 2005

DC versus Marvel: My preferences

Over on Reporting on Marvels and Legends, Calvinpitt talks about the DC dominance over the blogsphere. It's an interesting point and one I don't really have any theories/opinions on. I know why *I* primarily blog about DC, and that's simply because I like DC better.

It's a question of style and tone, I guess. I actually prefer 1960s Marvel to 1960s DC, but in modern times, I don't have much patience for most Marvel comics.

Part of it is the emphasis on characters I don't like. Wolverine for example does absolutely nothing for me. And he's *everywhere*. If I want to read about my favorite X-Man for example, I have to wade through the book and through every other character's turmoil and drama until I find a handful of scenes with Cyclops. (I am the only person I know who's favorite X-Man is actually Cyclops.)

In DC, most of my favorite characters are either in solo lines, or in team books that contain a lot fewer members. So I don't have as much frustration.

Part of it is tone. See, to me, Marvel is very revolutionary/reactionary/radical. It pushes the boundaries, it bristles against authority. DC is different. Where the X-Men for example are revolutionary and anti-authoritarian, the JLA/JSA *are* the authority. They're all about the ideals and the symbols: democracy, justice, et al. They hold up the ideals of civilization, or something like that. And me, I was never much of a rebel growing up. But the idealism, the devotion to a pure ideal even if the execution doesn't always work, that's something that resonates with me.

On a more abstract level, both series have the feeling of particular colors to me. Marvel's all bright and loud, neon orange, purple...a clashing cacophony. DC feels like black and white, with some grey, and dashes of red, blue, green. And the latter appeals to me more.

Finally I *despise* alliterative names. Clark Kent and Lois Lane are forgiveable. Beyond that. No.

13 Comments:

  • At December 17, 2005 10:48 PM, Blogger CalvinPitt said…

    I just wanted to chime in that you aren't the only person I know who likes Cyclops. A guy at the store, Len, I think Summers is his favorite character of all, or at least in the running.

     
  • At December 17, 2005 10:57 PM, Blogger Scipio said…

    "Where the X-Men for example are revolutionary and anti-authoritarian, the JLA/JSA *are* the authority."

    You know, I never thought of it quite that way. An elegantly simply explanation.

     
  • At December 17, 2005 11:37 PM, Blogger Captain Infinity said…

    Where the X-Men for example are revolutionary and anti-authoritarian, the JLA/JSA *are* the authority.

    Good point, Kalinara.

    I've often wondered why my younger brother prefers Marvel even though I tried to guide him towards DC, but your analogy fits us pretty well. Much as it irritates me sometimes, I'm always the "good son" while he is the "black sheep" of the family.

    You might be on to something.

     
  • At December 18, 2005 12:04 AM, Blogger kalinara said…

    Hi, thanks for replying guys!

    I don't really know if it applies to everyone, it's just how it feels to me. I'm glad it works for you guys too though. :-)

     
  • At December 18, 2005 1:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I get equal ammounts

    Jonah Hex
    Teen Titans
    JLA
    Firestorm
    Aquaman

    vs.

    Cable/Deadpool (witch has always done me right)
    She-Hulk
    New Avengers
    Daredevil
    Ultimates.

    It annoys me when people go "Pshh Marvel." Ultimates, Cable/deadpool, and She-hulk are all comics the deserve a good reading.

     
  • At December 18, 2005 1:22 AM, Blogger kalinara said…

    mallet:
    Thanks for commenting. There are specific Marvel titles that I enjoy. I'm fond of both F4 and Ultimate F4 personally. And anything with Deadpool.

    But it's like coke vs pepsi, everyone's going to have their preferences. The two companies are so stylistically different it's understandable why many only like one.

     
  • At December 18, 2005 2:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It's just odd to me that people can like one thing.

    I even drink coke and pepsi.

    Once I even mixed them together. I don't remember the rest of that night but I woke up with whiteout on my knee caps and my bed on top of me.

     
  • At December 18, 2005 9:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I like Marvel and DC, but never at the same time, a few years of Marvel, a few of DC

    It's my life cycle :-)

    also, and I know many will hate me for this comment,
    was there ever a difference between coke and pepsi?

     
  • At December 18, 2005 9:05 PM, Blogger kalinara said…

    was there ever a difference between coke and pepsi?

    You're lucky you're anonymous, fella. :-P

     
  • At December 19, 2005 12:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I wonder if it's a hate crime to hurt people who can't tell the difference between the two.

     
  • At December 19, 2005 12:37 AM, Blogger kalinara said…

    Probably, but no jury would convict. ;-)

     
  • At June 11, 2006 6:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The core ideas of Marvel are ok but I've always found the execution to be a little lacking.

     
  • At December 07, 2014 5:49 PM, Anonymous knighthood said…

    Marvel guy here. I agree with the top portion about the rebel vs. authority. I think DC is as colorful as Marvel. Love me some alliteration. Lighting Lad, Duo Damsel, Karate Kid... yeah, I can't think of many more. Maybe you're right. Personally, I feel Marvel characters are better defined as individuals.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home