Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Sunday, February 12, 2006

A Favorite Panel: The Demon: Driven Out #4

I like the Demon: Driven Out. A lot. The art's pretty, Jason's suitably tragic without wallowing, Etrigan's a bit more over the top with the mass-murder, but one can blame that on the repressed anger of his temporary host, lots of Japanese/Japanese-American characters and language stuff.

Even if I spent the whole issue trying to figure out if Ame's name was supposed to be Ame as in "rain" or Ame as in "candy".

But that's probably because accent/syllabary stress is something I find impossible. I can make myself *understood* pretty easily in Japan, but I'm never going to sound like a native.

Anyway for all that, there is one panel that makes me laugh my ass off: when Jason Blood ends up on the wrong end of some Japanese gangster kid's gun.



Look at that expression. Jason Blood is *pouting*. *Jason* *Blood* is POUTING. The guy who's been alive for a millenium, stuck as the host of a demon, had his mind and memories mucked with constantly, ended up tortured in *Hell* for quite a while, whose best friend aside from a blind seer is now a living *cushion*...and he's *pouting*.

Why?

Because he can't speak Japanese. Apparently, he's fine with Latin, and the Romantic or Germanic languages, and can speak anything Celtic (wonder if he could talk to Ystin then?)...but he can't speak Japanese. And thus, he pouts.

*Pouts*.

Heh. The Japanese language and culture major in me is very amused. And this close to batting her eyes at him going: "Daijoubu desu yo. Jason-san wa nihongo o hanasemasen desu keredo, watashi wa chotto hanasemasu. Tetsudatte sashiagemashou ka?"

It's a good thing he's fictional. :-)

(And ick, romanji always looks terrible. But I'll be damned if I'm going to actually take the time to figure out how to get this thing to type in kana.)

10 Comments:

  • At February 12, 2006 6:25 AM, Blogger Diamondrock said…

    Your Japanese is... Passable.

    I kid, I kid. It looks okay to me. But like you said, it's hard to tell when it's in romaji...

     
  • At February 12, 2006 10:38 PM, Blogger Centurion said…

    He can't speak Japanese? Is that all? You know, you could have run it through babelfish. Of course it would stand an 80% chance of turning into something highly unintended and hilarious.

    However, the funny thing to me is that I think I understood what you said, and I'm basically 3 years out of practice of not speaking it at all...

     
  • At February 13, 2006 3:53 AM, Blogger Bhotanni said…

    I'm going to be a bumble butt...

    大丈夫ですよ。ジェイソンさんは日本語を話せませんですけれど、私はちょっと話せます。手伝ってさし上げましょうか。

    I couldn't resist :P you know it looks slightly more daunting that way.

    and babelfish doesn't let you write in romanji. Darn them. Then I could make more intelligable sentences with KANJI!

     
  • At February 13, 2006 3:58 AM, Blogger kalinara said…

    Diamondrock: and I'm lazy, besides, Bhotanni did it for me. So much prettier looking.

    Centurion: Yeah, with everything else he has to brood about, he *pouts* instead. :-P

    Bhotanni: show off. :-P

     
  • At February 13, 2006 5:31 AM, Blogger JP said…

    Yes, but what did it *mean*?
    I cannot sleep until I know.

     
  • At February 13, 2006 5:34 AM, Blogger kalinara said…

    Aww, I didn't think anyone would actually care what it meant. :-P

    It translates to: "That's okay. You don't speak Japanese, but I do a little. I'll help you."

    With a very simpering, over-polite, fawning connotation of course. :-)

     
  • At February 13, 2006 7:21 AM, Blogger JP said…

    That's very helpful.

    Except that he wouldn't understand!:D

    I'll go sleep now.

     
  • At February 13, 2006 7:33 AM, Blogger kalinara said…

    A flaw in every plan! :D But I'd get to see him pout again! :D

     
  • At February 13, 2006 4:43 PM, Blogger Centurion said…

    Hannibal loves it when a plan comes together. Everyone else scratches their head in confusion.

     
  • At November 29, 2011 9:01 AM, Anonymous www.gerona-3d.com said…

    It can't work in reality, that is exactly what I suppose.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home