Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Thursday, March 09, 2006

Some Panels that Disturbed Me:

Okay, so I've been, as evidenced below, reading old pre-Crisis Green Lantern issues. They're lots of fun. I got to see John and Guy's first appearances...when Guy got hit by the bus, and other things.

The thing that actually got me though was when Sinestro pretty much tore apart Guy's mind. Not so much that part as the aftermath. Because the mind-tearing caused brain damage (which ultimately led to the jerk he became in GL, JLI and JLE...and ended up fixed in Warrior...though he stays a jerk because he likes it. :-P)

Anyway, what got were the images of Guy after...in a coma/unresponsive for *years*...



(From GL v2, 123)



(Same Issue)



(From GL v2, 189)



See? They're just wrong. He's so...vacant. Guy Gardner is many things...but never *vacant*. I seriously shuddered seeing these pages. And had to read Recharge again to feel better.

Ragnell mentioned in chat that she liked the smile at the end. But it makes me cringe more. Because it means on some level Guy was *aware* during years like that. That's a torture I wouldn't wish on anyone. *Anyone*.

5 Comments:

  • At March 09, 2006 9:03 AM, Blogger kalinara said…

    Yeah, see, between Hal probably causing spinal damage in my last post, and this...

    No *wonder* poor, kind sweet Guy ended up waking up a jackass!

     
  • At March 09, 2006 7:33 PM, Blogger Centurion said…

    I'm not so sure that's a smile in the last panel. It looks more like it is just the angle of the shot giving the illusion Guy is smiling slightly.

    That gives a whole new dimension to what is implied, and may or may not be any better.

     
  • At March 10, 2006 12:03 AM, Blogger kalinara said…

    :-) I didn't see the smile at first either, but now I do think it's there. Which makes me wince.

    But without it there, it'd be sad too. :-)

     
  • At March 10, 2006 7:07 AM, Blogger Sleestak said…

    I love to dress up comatose people at the hospital. I have had them unknowingly celebrate 'fireman day' and 'pirate day', but 'clown week' was the best dress up time thus far.

     
  • At March 10, 2006 7:10 AM, Blogger kalinara said…

    Sleestak...there's a sick sick part of me that's quite intrigued.

    And wants to know if you'd ever done fairy-week?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home