Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Monday, April 17, 2006

My sick mind is ruining my childhood memories:

I'm starting to come to the conclusion that I should never reread or rewatch anything I enjoyed as a child.

Not because it's bad in retrospect, because I have a very strong tolerance for cheesiness, camp and just plain crap.

But because somewhere along the way I've developed a very sick mind.

And that means I will see something like this (from the He-Man mini-comic: Mantenna and the Menace of the Evil Horde):



And I will snicker madly. Because I am sick.

There was a time when I was sweet and innocent and not a twisted person. Really. Honest. For a good six months! Or something like that.

(On a less silly note: I love the font they use in these. It's so easy to read even with the image shrunk!)

(On a more silly note: "Mantenna" is and always will be a horrible name for a villain in anything. I'll let you draw your own conclusions as to why.)

10 Comments:

  • At April 17, 2006 1:58 PM, Blogger Marc Burkhardt said…

    Mantenna?

    They really came up with a guy named Mantenna?

    I don't think you're the one with the sick mind here...

     
  • At April 17, 2006 3:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    He-Man was the grand prix champion of crappy character names.

    They actually had a guy called Fisto. Who had a giant metal fist. FISTO!

     
  • At April 17, 2006 5:48 PM, Blogger kalinara said…

    fortress keeper: Heh, that's reassuring.

    dan coyle: Yeah, She-Ra was worse though. In He-Man it was implied that a lot of the awful names were titles (Like Man-at-Arms whose real name was Duncan), nicknames or pseudonyms (Like Evil-Lyn and Skeletor). Most of the rest of the characters had almost normal sounding names: Adam, Marlena, Randor, Teela, Duncan, so on and so forth. I even think Fisto might have had a real name, but it's been a long time ago...

    In She-Ra, you had Frosta (an ice mage), Mermista (a mermaid), Catra (a cat-woman), *Flutterina* (a butterfly woman) and *Castaspella* the sorceress. Even She-Ra herself's real name was "Adora". Which compared to the rest of her birth family's names, just sounds stupid. there was no indication that *any* of these were pseudonyms.

     
  • At April 17, 2006 9:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I just thought of one term for this;PSYCHONYMS!!! You like?

     
  • At April 17, 2006 10:05 PM, Blogger kalinara said…

    Hee, "psychonyms". Good one.

     
  • At April 18, 2006 8:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I here by testify under oaththat the indivual Kalinara has a VERY SICK, WACKED-OUT, & WIERD MIND/SOUL. Sharing said condition I state it is geneticlly desposed, incurable once manifest and makes for a very... interesting person. ;-)Ladies & gents of cyberspace I rest my case!

     
  • At April 18, 2006 9:55 AM, Blogger kalinara said…

    And Green is right of course. But I think the people who made this comic/cartoon is as sick as us. So it's all fair. :-P

     
  • At April 18, 2006 10:01 AM, Blogger kalinara said…

    And Green is right of course. But I think the people who made this comic/cartoon is as sick as us. So it's all fair. :-P

     
  • At April 18, 2006 4:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Dear God, I forgot how lame the She-Ra names were. What about that munchkin thing that hid in every episode and popped out at the end to explain the moral?

     
  • At April 18, 2006 4:04 PM, Blogger kalinara said…

    Wasn't it "Lukey" or "Lookey" or something stupid like that. Because he was hidden somewhere in some scene of the episode?

    Egads. I loved the show, but those names were terrible. The only decent names were Angela (until you noticed she had angel wings) and the Shadow Weaver, which was obviously a title (Who was just awesome. :-P)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home