Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Friday, May 19, 2006

52 and Undergarments

Okay, so I'm really enjoying 52 up until I get to this one scene:



Now don't get me wrong, on quite a few levels I really like this scene. First, because the Question is awesome. Second, because it's good to see Renee hasn't lost her skills and won't hesitate to shoot a menacing intruder in her bedroom. Third, because that poor girl's reaction is hilarious "That man has no face!"

But one thing bothers me.

See, I get the comic code need for the two ladies to be wearing underwear. I'm fine with that. But this is one of those times I think that this was obviously pencilled by a man who doesn't know the first thing about ladies' undergarments.

Look at those bras. First, most women don't sleep in any bras, because they're uncomfortable. Now, I, being one of the lesser gifted of my gender, actually do tend to sleep in mine. Mostly because I collapse into bed usually and am lucky if I remember not to wear shoes. But mine, designed for those who require less support, have no wiring. Also they're usually cotton and thus not irritating. (And I'm sure none of you ever wanted to know that much about my undergarments. Sorry.)

The kind of bras those ladies are wearing are those lacy types, first of all, which itch at the skin. It's not noticeable much during the day, when you move around a lot, but sleeping/laying down, you'd feel it. Second, they're clearly designed for support. There's wiring in them hills. And Montoya's girlfriend's clasp is *very* uncomfortable to sleep with.

Now a sports bra could work, I'd bet, depending on how one slept on it. It'd be uncomfortable to sleep full on one's stomach, but the side/back would probably work.

It reminds me of that issue where Catwoman dreams of marrying Batman. After we see her waking up in a similar sort of bra as these ladies. Which is a shame because for me at least, it takes one out of the story. The art's pretty otherwise, but there's no way a woman as...gifted as Selina would or could wear that to bed. Here it's similar.

Not to mention, Montoya really doesn't seem the sort for such fancy underthings anyway. I mean...from the other panels, they even match! She seems more like the throw on any sort of thing and not really care, what the hell, they're *under* clothes sort of gal. Fancy lacy pretty bras with matching panties really don't seem like they'd be really her style. But I digress.

Anyway, it's not a big deal of course, but it does throw me a little out of the story, which I hate because the art's so nice aside from that. I just wish certain pencillers would ask wives/girlfriends/sisters/friends about this sort of thing first. It wouldn't take too long and it'd be a lot less jarring.

21 Comments:

  • At May 19, 2006 6:02 AM, Blogger Ragnell said…

    *Nod* Renee seems like an 18-Hour Bra wearer.

    And no, a sports bra wouldn't work to sleep in.

    At least, not one that would work to actually be a sports bra for their cup size.

     
  • At May 19, 2006 6:05 AM, Blogger kalinara said…

    I'll take your word for it. As I said, I'm not on the terribly gifted portion of the spectrum, so one doesn't get in the way for me. :-)

    Regardless, bad artist! No cookie!

     
  • At May 19, 2006 7:12 AM, Blogger Centurion said…

    I'll keep that in mind...

    I mean, as a penciler. It's a good thing to know. ^_^

     
  • At May 19, 2006 7:31 AM, Blogger Steven said…

    I'm certain that they were drawn completely naked in the first draft. Look how their arms always cover where their nipples would be, how there's already a bra lying on the floor (a much more practical cotton one), and who's panties is the Question holding up, if not Montoya's?

    Which means the lacy underthings were an editorial compromise. Something that showed off most of their skin but at the same time showed that they were not, in fact, jumping around completely naked in DC's flagship book.

     
  • At May 19, 2006 9:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Why don't people in superhero books ever wear pajamas? Even the guys tend to sleep in their boxers and no shirt. I know lots of people probably don't wear pajamas, but jeez, isn't there ANYONE in comics who goes to bed in a T-shirt at least?

     
  • At May 19, 2006 9:56 AM, Blogger Ferrous Buller said…

    "Fancy lacy pretty bras with matching panties really don't seem like they'd be really her style."

    I dunno, I think it'd be funny if Montoya had her private "pretty, pretty princess" moments... :-)

    But then I say the same thing about Superman, so maybe I'm just weird.

     
  • At May 19, 2006 11:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I can totally see Montoya in the old t-shirt and boxers combo... or just the old t-shirt, given that she wouldn't have boyfriends to steal the boxers from.

    And for my money, the oversized old t-shirt sans pants is diabolically sexy anyways. Missed opportunity!

     
  • At May 19, 2006 11:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ditto Steven. Both ladies are wearing identical bra/panty sets when Mystery Lady is probably a one night stand (I don't follow Renee much, but it's obvious a serious relationship just ended, and that's not Renee's girl) and that is HIGHLY unlikely. Also, in the second panel of that scene, Mystery Lady is clearly not wearing a bra at all. The underthings are almost certainly a (lousy) afterthought.

     
  • At May 19, 2006 12:54 PM, Blogger Zaratustra said…

    I'm imagining Frank Miller scripting that scene and it scares me.

     
  • At May 19, 2006 1:45 PM, Blogger kalinara said…

    cent: I'll bet. :-P

    Steven: Oh I have no problem with that, I just wish the editorial compromise had gone with more practical/comfortable underthings. Neither of these women are built like Power Girl, so it is possible for them to wear bras to bed...if they're the right kind.

    jer: Well, these are folks that wear spandex on a daily basis. We have to assume a bit of exhibitionism's involved.

    ferrous: Okay, *that* made me laugh. Though it'd be best if it were Guy Gardner

    toby: That would be really hot, you know...

    jill: *nod* shame too, with more practical underclothes, I'd never have noticed.

    zaratustra: Nah, if he was, the "camera" viewpoint would be a lot closer and lingering.

     
  • At May 19, 2006 3:22 PM, Blogger Steven said…

    You know, I didn't have a problem with it either until I realized what the original plan was.

    Then I thought about the difference between a stranger finding you in your underwear (embarrasing) and a stranger finding you completely naked (mortifying and terrifying).

    And how much more badass Montoya would have been had she been naked. At her absolutely most vulnerable, Montoya immediately grabs her gun and starts firing. Compare that to mystery girl, who grabs the sheets and covers up, and Jason Bard, who stared down Batman in a VERY similar circumstance in nothing but his birthday suit.

    It's a subtle, and ultimately unimportant difference, but I thought it was interesting.

    And not just for the obvious hot-naked-lesbians reasons.

     
  • At May 19, 2006 3:26 PM, Blogger kalinara said…

    Yeah, that would have been badass. I get why they changed it. I just wish it had been to something a little more practical. :-)

     
  • At May 19, 2006 3:33 PM, Blogger Richard said…

    "And I'm sure none of you ever wanted to know that much about my undergarments."

    Surely you realize you're going to see some really creepy search engine referrals leading people to this post? If anything, they'll be disappointed at the lack of further detail...

     
  • At May 19, 2006 3:42 PM, Blogger kalinara said…

    Heh, I suppose there is that.

     
  • At May 19, 2006 5:58 PM, Blogger Hale of Angelthorne said…

    "And I'm sure none of you ever wanted to know that much about my undergarments."

    Uhm, uh, uhrr, hurm. Right! Uh, I mean...what were we talking about again?

     
  • At May 19, 2006 5:59 PM, Blogger Hale of Angelthorne said…

    "And I'm sure none of you ever wanted to know that much about my undergarments."

    Uhm, uh, uhrr, hurm. Right! Uh, I mean...what were we talking about again?

     
  • At May 19, 2006 6:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm sure Power Girl would have no trouble sleeping in an underwire bra.

    She's invulnerable, after all.

     
  • At May 20, 2006 3:18 AM, Blogger kalinara said…

    Hale: Heh. You're welcome.

    Athelind: Hey, she's invulnerable, she's not numb. That'd get irritating even if it wouldn't hurt.

    David: Am I a bad feminist that the thought of the DCU females in what amounts to an orthopedic stable amuses the hell out of me?

     
  • At July 18, 2006 7:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey I'm just glad that there is someone else out there that notices these things. I thought I was the only one to complain about male artist and their need to put women characters in unbelievable clothes at unbelievable times.

     
  • At July 18, 2006 8:08 PM, Blogger kalinara said…

    Yeah it does get silly at times.

     
  • At December 19, 2012 11:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I wonder what size they both wear?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home