Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Sunday, May 21, 2006

Another Silly Analogy:

So my roommate likes coloring books. I can't judge her for that, as at 23 years old, I have a Barbie doll, (with *hand grenades*) but anyway, recently, she bought a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles coloring book.

My first reaction was surprise, as I hadn't thought they still made TMNT things, but hey, I'm always up for childhood nostalgia.

Then while sleep-deprived, I had a bizarre thought.

The Green Lanterns totally correspond to the Ninja Turtles. (At least the ones from my childhood).

I mean think about it:

You have the straightforward, strong-willed, focused leader type: Hal/Leonardo (And I distinctly remember an episode where Leonardo got whacked in the head and thought he was D'Artagnan, so it fits!)

You have the intellectual/designer/inventor: John/Donatello (I can't spell)

You have the rude one with the squishy underbelly: Guy/Raphael

You have the hip youngest one, that's stylish and frivolous: Kyle/Michelangelo.

And naturally the wise mentor who's a little senile: Alan/Splinter.

Heck, extending the metaphor, you end up with the token female that's largely, in the end, useless: Jade/April.

It works out scarily well. And they're green!

12 Comments:

  • At May 21, 2006 7:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Now all they have to do is color code their masks!

     
  • At May 21, 2006 7:09 AM, Blogger kalinara said…

    Guy'd look awful in red though. It'd clash with his hair.

     
  • At May 21, 2006 7:19 AM, Blogger Steven said…

    And how would this relate to the Fantastic Four? Or the Simpsons?

     
  • At May 21, 2006 7:24 AM, Blogger kalinara said…

    The Fantastic Four=The Flashes. (Jay has grey temples, Barry's blond and nice, Bart's excitable and flashy, and Wally's um...well, by process of elimination, he's the Thing.)

    The Simpsons are possibly analogies to the Transformers. And the Thundercats. I'll leave you to figure out how.

     
  • At May 21, 2006 9:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I think the Simpsons match up with the Fantastic Four pretty well, if you mix up some of the genders and team roles.

    Mr. Fantastic: Lisa (the brainy one)

    The Thing: Homer (big, everyman sort of guy)

    Invisible Woman: Marge (sweet, good-natured wife)

    Human Torch: Bart (young hothead)

    Franklin Richards: Maggie (the child)

     
  • At May 21, 2006 12:28 PM, Blogger kalinara said…

    anon: Hey that's pretty good.

     
  • At May 21, 2006 2:58 PM, Blogger Mickle said…

    We have so much TMNT stuff in the store it's scary. Strawberry Shortcake and My Little Pony stuff too. Even one or two Care Bears books. We just got the Choose Your Own Adventure line back in as well.

    Yes, our childhoods are coming back to haunt us.

    (All I wanna know is, if they'll bringing this stuff back, where are my Gummi Bears!?!)

    The Green Lanterns totally correspond to the Ninja Turtles.

    See, now, if I'd actually ever paid attention when my brother watched TMNT, that would be quite helpful.

     
  • At May 21, 2006 2:59 PM, Blogger kalinara said…

    To be fair, the TMNT don't have ass shots.

     
  • At May 21, 2006 4:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    " To be fair, the TMNT don't have ass shots."

    Ass shots? Maybe not. Crotch shots, while that might not be the case...

    http://progressiveruin.com/archives/2006_05_14_archive.html#114810755567011309

     
  • At May 21, 2006 4:43 PM, Blogger kalinara said…

    Well, there's something you don't see every day...

     
  • At May 22, 2006 11:28 PM, Blogger Steven said…

    I think you're just off on the Flashes. Bart is the impulsive idjit, and Wally is the blue-collar, grounded type who still kind of wants to be an astronaut.

    But Barry was the big brain while Jay is the one that looks after the family (the hair color might have thrown you...).

     
  • At May 22, 2006 11:33 PM, Blogger kalinara said…

    I stand corrected. :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home