Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Friday, May 12, 2006

My reaction to the X3 Preview

As I'm finally sitting down and watched the 7 minute preview, I'm typing this in real time. (Well, with gratuitous usage of the pause button)

Yay! Scott! Still, best casting job ever! (I'm going to be upset if SPOILER actually happens, hmph).

Maybe it's time for *us* to move on?! Okay, who let the slash fangirls at the movie script and how can I thank them?

The fast healing line is pretty lame though.

What's with casting people of such varied ages to play the original five?! I mean, I like Kelsey Grammer as much as anyone, but you're not going to convince me he was ever James Marsden's classmate. Right, right, movie canon.

Halle Berry seems to have a much bigger role this time, and proportionally shorter hair. One of these seems to be working for her, one of these isn't. I'll give you a hint which: the hair is pretty.

"Secretary of Mutant Affairs" Ooo! Politics! *Finally*!

"I hear you're quite the animal." Okay, I have to admit, Beast/Wolverine is not nearly as hot. Maybe I'm bigoted against blue fur. Or innuendo regarding Kelsey Grammer. Frasier should never be slashed.

You know, maybe it's just me, but I don't see what's bad, in theory, about a cure. I mean, sure it'd suck if you were Storm or Wolverine. But for folks like Rogue, who can't touch anyone, or Cyclops, who runs the risk of mass destruction when he loses his spectacles, it might not be so bad.

That's probably the problem with mutancy as a metaphor. I get the impression that this "cure" is supposed to be viewed kind of like the anti-gay programming that "fixes" them. Which is a vile concept, of course. But when you've got those characters for whom the mutant powers are much closer to a full on handicap than race/sexual orietation, the idea of a cure as a bad thing loses something. And what about the mutants that have crippling and uncool powers, remember the Morlocks?

"Since when do we become a disease?" See above, Rogue, Cyclops. And gosh, Storm's hair is pretty.

Gah, the saving oneself from persecution debate is really really irritating to me. Yeah, Beast, who got his blue fur via a science accident and only mutant power is the agility/strength which are cool, or Storm the *Weather Goddess* can reduce the issue to that. The only thing that's making me not turn this off was the nice zoom-in on Rogue when the "cure" was announced. Poor girl. It helps that Anna Paquin is not nearly as annoying as the comic version. Of course, whatever interest she'll probably end up having the cure will undoubtedly be misguided.

"The Government had nothing to do with it." *sigh* Of *course* it will, Hank. The Government always does. Capital-G. You're the poor deluded dupe who thinks you can actually make a difference from inside the system. This is Marvel after all. :-) Sorry, my bias is showing. :-)

"There's nothing to cure. There's nothing wrong with you." Gosh, Halle's hair is pretty. But damn, it's an awful trade off. Rogue is much less annoying in the movies, Storm infinitely more. And since Storm is my favorite X-female, this saddens me. You're talking to the girl who can't *touch* anyone, Storm. Lay off.

I've heard rumor that they were going to give Cyclops a bigger role, but went with Storm instead. Which is a shame, acting talents of their respective actors aside, this spiel would be much less offensive coming from the man who can't open his eyes unshielded without mass destruction.

Ooo, a British accent and wanting to cooperate/educate. Evil or just sycophantic and useless. It's got to be one. Hey, it's that guy! Who is that guy? This is going to bother me...

Ian McKellan is awesome. Will always be awesome.

So Pyro can create fire now? Or does he have conveniently hidden lighters. Hoping for the first, as pyrokinesis without pyrogenesis is pretty damn lame.

"Offended by the very idea." Yeah, I've harped on this long enough, I'll let it go. Suffice to say, I'm still irritated.

Wow, Warren's not played by the best actor. But he *is* pretty. And as he's Warren that's really all that matters...not an Angel fan, me, can you tell?

Ahh, unwilling cure/rape metaphor. Was waiting for this. Why aren't we focusing more on the "cursed" mutants that would actually possibly benefit from this? Yes, I know I said I'd let it go. I lied. Damn Warren is pretty. Like Storm's hair.

Ooo Wings. Ironically, I think comic-Warren would have gone for this at certain points in the story. But that'd lose the metaphor that doesn't hold up anyway and is ticking me off. Heh.

Wow, Jean's kind of looking old. Oh well, considering SPOILER, it probably doesn't matter anymore. She's still hot though. Wish they'd made her Moira, then she could have non-creepy sexual tension with Xavier. Patrick Stewart/Famke Jannsen is a good, good thing.

Okay, the giant fighting montage at the end is really cool. If they just showed that, I'd be sold.

Damn, the Marvel movie version of the X-Men is filled with the most self-absorbed fucks out there, isn't it? And I'd still say Cyclops should have gotten the bigger part, he'd be a lot less offensive than Storm in the same role. Guy who can't open his eyes without killing/destroying shit versus Weather Goddess... I know who seems like he/she would add more to this plot to *me*, but I'm not a Hollywood script writer.

But yeah, I'm still gonna see the movie. Expect bitching the next day. :-)

8 Comments:

  • At May 13, 2006 12:01 AM, Blogger Centurion said…

    Yeah, I've long been in the camp of 'this is going to be crap' but now I at least can say 'it will be a good action movie.'

    Problem is that I'm a very hard sell with action movies, becuase (surprise!) I like a solid plot and story. Dialogue execution helps a lot, but as long as there is intelligence in the story I'll be happy.

    Bet you can guess my opinion now...

     
  • At May 13, 2006 12:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Heh. That was beautiful bitching, look forward to the post-movie bitchery. XD

    The only semi-intelligent responce I have beyond 'ha-HA!' is 'it's a hollywood film, they made it for people who like to turn their brains off'. I would agree this isn't a good thing, but there it is. The record for clear, intelligent thinking about the metaphor of mutant-as-oppressed-group and mutant-as-disease is pretty inconsistent in the comics. And they have way more time, space and creative control.

    But yeah- it warrants bitching.

    Maybe hollywood shouldn't try to sell to the geeks (who want an intelligent, deep treatment- but will see it anyway) and the general public (who want a big explode-y exciting action movie) at once?

    And I haven't even seen X2, I'm such a neglectful x-fan...

     
  • At May 13, 2006 12:51 AM, Blogger kalinara said…

    cent: Heh, just a bit

    indicia: honestly, I'm not expecting deep and intelligent, but I'd like there to be just a little thought about how this sort of thing *looks*.

    Internal conciseness is impossible in a comic, but a movie shouldn't have such an obvious hole. But then I'm going off of a preview. Might be better...

    Right...

     
  • At May 13, 2006 12:59 AM, Blogger Chris said…

    "Damn, the Marvel movie version of the X-Men is filled with the most self-absorbed fucks out there, isn't it?"

    Hey, Self-Absorbed Soap Opera was good enough for the first 40 years of X-Men, why not the movie? :-)

     
  • At May 13, 2006 1:01 AM, Blogger kalinara said…

    Heheh, I suppose I'm still in denial.

    I still think a bit of that would have been avoidable with Cyclops in Storm's role though. As he'd have a better understanding of Rogue's perspective. But maybe then there'd be less movie. :-P

     
  • At May 13, 2006 3:56 PM, Blogger CalvinPitt said…

    My question about the cure is, is it optional? You know, if you want your powers gone, come on in, if not, no big deal?

    Because me feeling about it are that it doesn't seem like it's being offered to help people whose mutant powers make life difficult for them, so much as it is because "normal" people really don't want these people to have weird powers that they don't have.

    It's being done out of hatred or fear, as opposed to kindness. I mean if it helps Rogue, great, but that doesn't seem to be the aim of the people behind it.

    That being said, I won't be going to see it. Of course, I didn't go to see the first two either so take that with a grain of salt.

     
  • At May 13, 2006 5:10 PM, Blogger kalinara said…

    calvin: I think you're right about it being done out of fear/hate.

    But the problem I have is such an obvious perspective being overlooked.

    That and I can't imagine the real storm ever being so insensitive to Rogue. She might be leery of the cure, but she'd also know exactly what this might mean for the poor girl. I don't like that in the preview, my favorite female character is so poorly written.

     
  • At May 14, 2006 2:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I gotta note that selling it both to the geeks and the general public worked for the first two. >>v Ditto Spider-Man.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home