Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Saturday, June 10, 2006

Random Reactions to 52:

Okay, so I *finally* got the chance to read 52. I hate being behind. Oh well. :-)

I have a few immediate reactions, there is no attempt at analyzing clues/symbolism here, I need to be more awake for that.

This super-citizen stuff of Lex's sounds like a really bad idea. Reminds me a little of the Bulleteer's husband and his quest for superpowers, and how they mentioned so many people hospitalized for the same idiot reasons. This isn't going to go well.

I think Skeets is evil.

Alan's patch looks cool in civilian form but dumb behind the mask, the glowy conjured eye looks better.

And okay, so if his one eye isn't his...then there are *two* eyes of Alan Scott floating around somewhere. Damn. And I get hell for misplacing my *car keys*.

Acck. Cyborg-Firestorm (Fireborg?, Cy-storm?) reminds me of nightmares I used to have about teleportation after watching the Fly. Eeek.

Mid-Nite's got lots of panel time! Yay! And as usual he's rocking the glasses.

Egads, frothing at the mouth is never a good sign.

Renee AND Maggie! I'll refrain from a dirty joke about Kane street. But only barely.

Hee, name in red! I know what that means thanks to Homicide. :-) Who says obsessive tv watching isn't educational. Okay, okay, Munch made me laugh and Tim Bayliss was pretty.

...Wow, Buddy Baker is either a saint or gay, he's not even *looking*.

Um. Adam Strange is having a bad day. Looks kind of hot though, aside from the obvious.

So that makes three eyes wandering around, but only two made of Starheart energy made flesh...that's a plus, I suppose.

Now I want to run a DnD campaign with magical artifacts called: "The Eyes of Alan Scott" just to snicker at the non-comic geek players that wouldn't get it. Still you can't tell me *two* eyes made up of starheart floating free in the cosmos is a good thing.

Yay, the history's finally to the Crisis. It's almost relevant. I'd still have rather heard the history of New Earth, but hell, we're getting somewhere.

But I want to know if people remember E-2 Superman and Batman.

Hey, if Batman and Robin were JSA members, did Robin and Sandy hang out at all? Get into trouble? Or maybe hate each other and fight all the time? As the two kids associated with the JSA, they'd have been in an interesting position. Well, I guess it's a moot point now, but I'm curious.

Good issue. I'm intrigued. :-)

16 Comments:

  • At June 10, 2006 10:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Re: Alan Scott's eyes: Well, we know that Supergirl was shot to the 30th century by the warp. Perhaps Alan Scott's eyes were too? Perhaps this is the post-IC origin of the Emerald Eye?

     
  • At June 10, 2006 10:51 AM, Blogger Diamondrock said…

    Buddy Baker is just an incredibly cool guy who loves his wife and kids very, very much. Nothing much else to it.

    The world needs more men like Buddy Baker. It'd solve a lot of problems.

     
  • At June 10, 2006 3:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I just assumed that the eye that Alan Scott does have is Adam Strange's. After all, his eyes had to go somewhere.

     
  • At June 10, 2006 5:10 PM, Blogger kalinara said…

    Adrian: That'd make me laugh.

    Diamondrock: Oh I approve of his fidelity, don't get me wrong...

    ...but the man didn't even glance over once!

    tom: that was my thought too, but that leaves Adam's other eye and Alan's two eyes still unaccounted for. :-)

     
  • At June 10, 2006 6:01 PM, Blogger Centurion said…

    Oh he could have looked, just not on panel. Just one of those quick and hopefully not noticed glances.

    Afterall, even Jimmy Olsen checked Power Girl out. Doesn't matter if he was in her mind or not, he looked.

     
  • At June 10, 2006 7:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Personally I subscribe to Diamondrock's theory.

    However a more cynical person might suggest that as they've be stranded on that planet for two weeks already, and Starfire really doesn't strike me as the sort of person who only washes once a fortnight, the chances are Buddy's seen it all before. No matter how nice the picture after a while it stops being interesting.

    And regarding the missing eyes, surely Alan's patched eye has to belong to someone?

     
  • At June 10, 2006 7:23 PM, Blogger kalinara said…

    centurion: True

    Doc: I don't think he has another eye behind the patch. In JSA: Classified, when he's powered up, we see a glowing green eye there, which I presume could be a construct. Since he seems to be using Adam's eye all right, I can't see why he'd need to patch the other.

     
  • At June 10, 2006 8:23 PM, Blogger Zaratustra said…

    Isn't he made of Starheart energy? Can't he just WILL another eye into existence? I don't think anyone keeps track of what he can and can't do anymore.

    Buddy Baker is not looking at Starfire cause she has teeth... down there.

     
  • At June 10, 2006 9:36 PM, Blogger Centurion said…

    Zaratustra: That is a very scary thought, but does explain why he's not looking...

     
  • At June 10, 2006 10:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Maybe they'll find Adam's other eye when they detach Cyborg and Firestorm. ;)

     
  • At June 10, 2006 10:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I don't want to see the history of New Earth -- not yet, and not in any canonical form. That was one of the big misteps after Crisis on Infinite Earths -- they put out that Prestifge Miniseries about the History of the DCU, and then started contradicting it almost immediately when it didn't fit the needs of the story.

    I want to the history of New Earth EVOLVE, with writers filling in the backstory as the story demands it -- much as we saw in Wonder WOman #1 this week.

     
  • At June 10, 2006 10:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oops, that was me, with the comment about the History of the DCU. Sorry

     
  • At June 11, 2006 12:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Having seen Buddy Baker's wife drawn by Steve Pugh, I can totally understand why he wouldn't even bother with Koriand'r.

     
  • At June 11, 2006 6:22 AM, Blogger kalinara said…

    zaratustra: Vagina Dentata, it's a wonderful phrase. Vagina Dentata, it ain't no passin' craze...

    Um, I'll stop now.

    centurion: Maybe she needs braces.

    tom: Heh, Fire-eye-borg.

    athelind: I don't need anything too detailed. I just want to know the very loose basics. When did Superman turn up? When did Batman? Was Hippolyta in the JSA?

    There's always gonna be inaccuracies, but I'd like a starting point. I'm tetchy that way.

    :-)

    dan: Ahh, true that.

     
  • At June 11, 2006 3:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ellen Baker was as much the lead in the Delano/Pugh run on Animal Man as Buddy was, sometimes more so. There was the amusing storyline closing out the first year where Ellen got lost in the city and Buddy went after her... and Ellen wound up navigating her troubles far easier than her husband with superpowers.

     
  • At June 11, 2006 5:43 PM, Blogger kalinara said…

    dan: I haven't read a lot of those issues, did like the few I saw though. Darn you for making me want more. :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home