Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Monday, June 12, 2006

Yet Another Random Ridiculous Realization:

Sandman Mystery Theatre is a very fun read. I love it and can't wait for more (even if I don't much like the thought of this Kieran Marshall fellow taking over out of nowhere, but I'm tetchy).

But what I find really kind of neat is how at some point during the comic, Dian ends up dubbed with the name Sandy as the Sandman's sidekick.

Now, whether SMT actually fits in the DCU is shaky. For instance, there were a lot of things that basically made the existance of Sandy Hawkins impossible but I'd like to think it does anyway and will think of very convoluted ways around the impossibilities. (Long lost siblings! Teenage Pregnancies! Alien Clone! Temporary Amnesia!)

One of the reasons for this is because I really do love SMT a lot. The other reason is that if I stop and think about it, I can think of a good number of female heroes who follow in the footsteps of male heroes (there's a good list here), but I can't really think of any of the reverse.

Is it because heroines in the 40s were fewer and farther between, and more of them had specifically gendered identites? Because a woman following in a man's footsteps is progressive but a man following in a woman's is somehow undesirable or not masculine? Is it because most female heroes don't have the weight of legacy that their male counterparts do? I couldn't begin to guess. (But someday I'd really like to see a male Black Canary opposite a female Green Arrow).

But anyway, if SMT is part of DCU canon, then in the late 1930s, the Sandman's sidekick "Sandy" was Dian Belmont. Which makes the 1940s Golden Boy a legacy character, following in his aunt's footsteps.

Which makes for one female-to-male legacy, the only one *I* can think of the DCU. And for some strange reason, I think that's really neat!

12 Comments:

  • At June 12, 2006 7:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    (But someday I'd really like to see a male Black Canary opposite a female Green Arrow).

    I've somehow been talking about this a lot lately, even before his new miniseries was announced, but I really want to see Conner as the next BC and Mia as the next GA.

    That said, there's one insurmountable problem - men can not look good in fishnet tights.

     
  • At June 12, 2006 7:34 AM, Blogger kalinara said…

    He could wear the fishnets elsewhere?

    Connor as Black Canary (Canary Lad?) would be awesome though. He always seemed to have more in common, grace-under-pressure-wise with Dinah than with Ollie anyway. :-)

    I hope they don't draw him white again in the mini though, that saddens me when they do that.

     
  • At June 12, 2006 9:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I've heard that Dinah used to have a sidekick called 'Yellow Crow'. I've never seen any evidence, though, which is probably good since I can't think of a worse name for a quarter-Korean, quarter-black superhero.

    And yeah, bleached Conner makes me sad too. I also miss his cheekbones.

     
  • At June 12, 2006 12:58 PM, Blogger Jon said…

    Ted Knight became Starman in part to follow the example of his cousin, the Phantom Lady.

    Not exactly the same thing, but close.

     
  • At June 12, 2006 2:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    If ABC counts as part of DC you've got William Woolcott, the trans Promethea.

     
  • At June 12, 2006 3:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Does the Red Tornado count?

    Reddy the android never really referred to Ma Hunkell in any way that I can recall, and it could be argued that "he's" only cosmetically "male", but still...

     
  • At June 12, 2006 3:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You know, while I like the idea of casting Conner Hawke as the new Black Canary, it kind of bugs me that he'd indirectly join the ranks of the Black Panther, Black Lighting, Black Goliath, Black Vulcan, the Black Racer and all those other ethnic heroes of the '70s.

     
  • At June 12, 2006 7:04 PM, Blogger kalinara said…

    flidget: Eeek. That...would be awkward. I have to admit I didn't even consider "Black Canary". I'm a little oblivious.

    jon: Inspiration's not the same as direct legacy though. Though it's very sweet at the same time.

    phil: Promethea's kind of a special case, isn't it? But still it's cool to even sort of have more than one. :-)

    athelind: I don't think I'd count Red Tornado. It never really seemed as though (aside from the name, which given his sibling is Red Inferno...) there's much of a connection between the characters at all. But it's still interesting to consider. :-)

    And egads, I didn't even consider that. I'm oblivious. Connor would be a bad choice for "Black Canary" after all.

     
  • At June 12, 2006 8:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I miss Dian.

    My favourite bit of "Sand & Stars," the crossover with Starman, was when Jack Knight stands at the door to the Dodds/Belmont apartment and is just absolutely awestruck at getting to meet Dian. Wes? Sure, he's cool, but this is Dian Belmont. Even more than having a male character carry on a female legacy, this is a woman who has her own significant career and is a partner, ultimately, more than a sidekick.

    And I miss Jack Knight, too.

     
  • At June 12, 2006 9:20 PM, Blogger kalinara said…

    *nod* Dian is/was awesome. I'm actually quite vexed that we don't get to see her interact with her nephew in flashbacks at all. We get to see Wes occasionally, but no Dian.

    Which makes me sad. :-(

     
  • At June 17, 2006 2:56 PM, Blogger notintheface said…

    Do villains count?

    Then I'd include the male Cheetah Sebastian Bellastros, who temporarily took over Barbara Minerva's villain ID.

    A kind of reverse legacy happened in L.E.G.I.O.N. when the Emerald Eye bonded with Garyn Bek and turned him into an "Emerald Emperor". Since this story took place 1000 years earlier than the Legion of Superheroes in DCU time, is the Empress actually carrying on Bek's legacy?

     
  • At June 17, 2006 5:30 PM, Blogger kalinara said…

    Oo, good points. :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home