Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Friday, June 09, 2006

You Had to Know I'd Blog About This...

So newsarama has a piece about a new Guy Gardner miniseries. In general, it sounds pretty good. I'm particularly interested in the mention of the war between Rann and Thanagar. Sounds like it'll fit in the gap between Recharge and GLC nicely. And I love Guy as peace-maker, of sorts, plots.

I like Chaykin's take on the character too. He seems to be working off the same Warrior->Rebirth->Recharge characterization so that makes me happy. There are a few things that gave me pause though:

--
"Another function of the book is to clean up a lot of the discrepancies and the mess left over from stuff that I think a lot of people would like to pretend didn't exist, which is the Guy Gardner: Warrior period. I've gone in there and cleaned that stuff up a bit, and I think it all works together well."

Well, as a shameless Warrior fan this made me nervous, but then I paid a little closer attention. I'd thought he was indicating that he was going to retcon Warrior, but he says "cleaning up the discrepancies and mess left over", and mentions the bar and things like that, so that makes me happy.

I'm hoping maybe this will address things like what happened to Buck and company, especially Veronna, and also his mother, who we last saw living above the bar. Even just a throw away line or a cameo would be great.

I'm not sure how this works timeline wise, as he seems to be using Guy as post-Recharge trouble shooter where he's supposedly banned from Earth for a year, but mentions the bar. But hell, it's Guy, when does he listen to the smurfs anyway?
--

"Additionally, as the art shows, Gardner will still be sporting, as Chaykin realizes some fans have come to call it: "That goddamn haircut." "

This made me groan at first, but looking at the picture and reading his description, it seems to be more the shaved on the sides Recharge version than the full on bowl cut. I've nothing against the bowl cut really, but it really seems to emphasize the Guy-when-brain-damaged characterization, the inner kid-ness. The "Teutonic" version looks more adult and works for me. :-)

--

"There are two major scenes of confrontation with the Guardians, and Guy treats them with the kind of contempt that he normally treats authority figures with, and discovers to his chagrin that they understand everything he's saying. They're not just cute little aliens - they may not have sense of humor like a human being would, but they certainly have senses of irony."

Only one thing bothers me about this. And that's the idea that Guy would be chagrinned at the Guardians understanding him. Guy's the sort of fellow to moon Batman, make fun of Aquaman's hair, and call Superboy Prime a crybaby. And he's mouthed off to the Guardians before. I would have thought he'd have assumed that they *could* understand him.

But it is fun to see the Guardians take him down a peg or two so it sounds fun. "Caveman" hee.
--
Also, we meet G'nort again. He's a little bit darker than we've seen him played, and not quite as goofy as the characters has been played previously - actually, nowhere near as goofy as the character has been played before.

Okay, *this* throws me. I don't know what to make of this at all. A darker *G'Nort*?! Seriously?!

On one hand, G'Nort was one of those butt-of-joke characters that made me wince with sympathy sometimes, but I don't know if I like the thought of him dark. A little more serious could work but...

Oh well, I'll wait and see.
--

I do like his description of Guy's personality, so that makes me optimistic. And well, hell, if I don't like it, I'll ignore it and stick with GLC. :-)

Oh, and Beau Smith (yay!) weighs in here and talks about Warrior! Awesome!

11 Comments:

  • At June 09, 2006 7:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Who seriously asked for a darker G'nort? I mean, it would be nice to have a G'Nort that wasn't so outlandishly zany. But, how is he going to be "dark"? Rabies?

     
  • At June 09, 2006 7:31 PM, Blogger kalinara said…

    Heh, yeah. But I'll give it a shot. It does have Guy after all. If it sucks, I'll bitch. :-)

     
  • At June 09, 2006 10:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    A G'Nort that knows he catches a lot of crap from the other Green Lanterns and is fed up with it might be a nice change of pace from the usual characterization, which is "dumber than Satchel from GET FUZZY."

    Although a GET FUZZY-ized Green Lantern Corps, with G'Nort as Satchel, Guy as Bucky, and Kyle as Rob Wilco might be funny.

     
  • At June 10, 2006 1:57 AM, Blogger kalinara said…

    anthony: That would be...weird...

    ron: ...I could see that oddly enough, but who'd be the ferret next door?

    What am I saying...Hal. :-)

     
  • At June 10, 2006 2:25 PM, Blogger Marc Burkhardt said…

    Forget G'nort, I want the series Beau Smith talked about - the Doc Savage Guy Gardner who hung out at a bar and had adventures like the A-Team or something.

    Comics gold!

     
  • At June 10, 2006 5:11 PM, Blogger kalinara said…

    Dude! That *was* Warrior basically. There was a lot more home base stuff, and the alien stuff, but a good deal of that pretty much was the Doc Savage stuff. And it was awesome!

    ...once you got past the art. :-)

     
  • At June 11, 2006 12:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm glad Chaykin's rebuilding the bar. That always was a fun concept.

    I ran into Joe Staton at MoCCA's festival today- and he'd love to draw Guy again. His Guy was always a hoot.

     
  • At June 11, 2006 6:22 AM, Blogger kalinara said…

    dan: Awesome!

     
  • At June 11, 2006 3:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Staton's got other things to do at the moment- like a Femme Noir mini (and if you haven't read it, check it out a www.supernaturalcrime.com- it kicks ass) and more Scooby Doo as always- but I asked him if he'd ever come back to Guy someday and he said "Sure! I love drawing him!"

     
  • At June 12, 2006 2:35 PM, Blogger Steven said…

    Gus,

    To be fair to Chaykin, "darker" doesn't necessarily mean "dark". Like you said, the character could lose some of his zaniness and pick up some seriousness to make him a more viable character.

    Dan and Kali,

    Yeah, it was Chaykin's specifically mentioning the bar which made me think, "Well, Pretty, Fizzy Paradise is going to be happy about that!"

     
  • At June 12, 2006 4:41 PM, Blogger kalinara said…

    dan: Stop teasing! :-P

    steven: Yeah, I'm hoping that he keeps the "darker" aspect restrained though. And yeah, I likes the bar. :-P

     

Post a Comment

<< Home