Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Friday, July 28, 2006

Opinions about Random Batman Rumors:

Okay, so I'm sure everyone's heard the rumor that Heath Ledger would be playing the Joker.

I admit, that boggled me. Heath Ledger?!!

Then a thought occurred to me. If you'd have asked me a few years ago if freakin' Luke Skywalker would be the best Joker I'd ever seen I'd have laughed in your face.

So suddenly I'm a lot more optimistic. I don't know if Ledger can play crazy, but people can be surprising.

--

The other rumor I found interesting was the one about the Batman Musical, which I'm sure has people screaming.

But I actually think it could be fantastic.

See, I'm a huge Meat Loaf fan, and Jim Steinman composed a lot of his most well-known songs. Steinman's style tends toward Phantom of the Opera meets Electric Guitar I think.

So if anyone could actually make a workable version of the Dark Knight on stage, it'd be this guy. I think it has the potential to be really cool.*

Or crazy.

But then so's Batman.

(*As long as Meat Loaf isn't cast as Batman. I really do love Meat Loaf's music dearly, but he wouldn't really suit the Batman.)

9 Comments:

  • At July 28, 2006 1:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oddly, there was a Batman Operetta in the second Bizarro Comics anthology. Good stuff, but a little too similar to the Greyshirt musical story...

    I think I'll read me some Bizarro!

    I mean. I don't think I won't read me Bizarro.

     
  • At July 28, 2006 2:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The best bat-musical happened in Batman Beyond

     
  • At July 28, 2006 5:10 AM, Blogger kalinara said…

    ben: Heh, neat. Don't think I've read that.

    anon: Hee. It can be done.

     
  • At July 28, 2006 8:47 AM, Blogger Doc Hall said…

    I can see it now, all the classic Meatloaf hits will be there with a Batman twist.

    Bat Out Of Hell (obviously), Dead Ringer For Batman, and for the big scene where Batman alienates Alfred, I'd Do Anything For Master Bruce (But I won't do that)

     
  • At July 28, 2006 9:34 AM, Blogger kalinara said…

    Hee, how would they go?

    "Every night I'm in a batcave and I'm looking for a clue.

    There are so many criminals out there that I don't know what to do.

    You've got me begging on my knees, come on and throw a dog a bone,

    A man he can't fight crime with batarangs and car alone..."

    ...Um. Should I be worried that this is actually kind of easy?

     
  • At July 28, 2006 1:36 PM, Blogger padgett said…

    You know, I'm really pretty enthusiastic about the idea of a Steinman Batman musical. He describes his stuff as Wagnerian rock, which is pretty much the only way you could properly do a Batman musical.

    I'm only disappointed they're not doing it as a film. Bring in Walter Hill to direct (since he did an excellent job with the last Steinman-driven movie, "Streets of Fire"). Heck, Meat Loaf's about the right shape for the old, built-like-a-fridge Bruce in Dark Knight Returns. It'll be huge.

     
  • At July 28, 2006 5:02 PM, Blogger Centurion said…

    If you ever wonder about casting choices, just have faith in Nolan that he knows what's going on.

    I would have thought Ledger would have been odd, but it seems they are trying to keep the villains about the same age as Bale. In that way it works, and he does look vaguely like Joker. If they play off the origin given in Killing Joke I think he'll do a fine job.

    As for the musical, I heard about that a long time ago, I'm just curious if it will actually be made. I love operatic rock/metal, so you know I'll give it a listen. If it gets good reviews, maybe a roadtrip.

     
  • At July 28, 2006 6:37 PM, Blogger kalinara said…

    dr flem: You've got a point. Heh.

    sarah: nah, no jazz hands in Steinman. They're more tortured and angsty/angry. :-)

    Apparently the people who are saying it's Ledger were the first to know Brandon Routh was playing Superman. Which gives them a bit more credibility than the average joe...

    centurion: It makes some sense thinking about it. And we do know that Ledger will take riskier performances and unconventional roles...(not to equate gay cowboydom with a serial killing clown of course, still I'd imagine a lot of actors wouldn't have taken the role.)

    *nod* We'll see. Steinman's awesome and I dig Meat Loaf much so...

     
  • At July 29, 2006 2:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I really want Crispin Glover to be the Joker. He can do scary-crazy, and he's got the wiry physique.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home