Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Friday, August 25, 2006

EiE: Infusing Estrogen in the JSA 3: A Sidekick for Wildcat?

This week's Infusing Estrogen idea came about in the replies of one of the previous posts. As I am, at this moment, too lazy to track it down, I'll reiterate the idea here.

Basically, I really like the idea of setting Holly up as a future successor for Wildcat.

I'd like to clarify, I do NOT mean that I'd support a replacement of Ted Grant any time soon. For one thing, I think that would lead to exactly the same problems we saw with poor Yolanda. It's a very bad idea to suddenly replace a popular character for someone new.

However, it must be noted that Ted is in a strange place right now as the JSA goes. He's skirting the line between Supernatural and Human in my opinion. He's a character with origins in the 1940s and a supernatural way to have existed so long, but he doesn't really share the same otherworldly quality that Jay, Alan or Carter have. He's, as described in the comments there, a normal guy with a few tricks up his sleeves.

Those tricks though have run out. In JSA Classified, Wildcat was officially dropped down to his last life. Which means that barring any admittedly likely bizarre event, Ted Grant is now mortal. Which means that he can be a Father. His name can be a legacy to pass down.

Now, since Ted is such a popular character, and really no one wants to see him leave any time soon anyway, it's important to establish a successor with a role outside of just being his replacement. I'd actually go so far as to choose an already created character for this role: Holly Robinson from Catwoman.

Personally, I don't think Selina's going to keep from being Catwoman for much longer. It's just not going to happen. She's already suiting up and I doubt that's going to stop. This means though that Holly's in danger. A second Catwoman? Can we say "Redundant Character"? As cool as it'd be to have both run around, it's never going to last forever, eventually someone's going to write a story where Holly is killed to cause Selina angst. I'm sure of it.

While I don't necessarily resent that in principle, I'd hate to see that happen to Holly. I think Holly's interesting and I particularly like her relationship with Wildcat. They've got, I think, a very personal relationship, but one that lacks the particular sexual undercurrents Ted has with Selina, for example. Theirs feels more familial, already more father and daughter.

Which is why I'd like to see Holly pulled in as a sidekick character for Wildcat. Wildcat shines when he has a student and Holly is cute and charming and could really benefit from working with the legends of the DCU. I think that it would be interesting to see her interactions with the different people in the JSA.

I think placing her in a position similar to Sandy the Golden Boy's was for Wes, it would give her a chance to establish a presence in the JSA long term, to build relationships and interactions that will strengthen her own ties to the JSA. Whether or not Ted ever does get written out himself.

I think thematically, she'd work well as a sidekick to Ted. She's a physical fighter like he is, without powers (that are applicable in a fight at least) and she's dressed up like a cat in public. Then eventually (FAR in the future), when Ted sees fit to retire, there will be a very logical successor in the wings. One that fans of the series will be familiar with and hopefully accept in the role.

Labels: , ,

16 Comments:

  • At August 25, 2006 9:56 AM, Blogger Amy Reads said…

    They've got, I think, a very personal relationship, but one that lacks the particular sexual undercurrents Ted has with Selina, for example. Theirs feels more familial, already more father and daughter.

    Oh goodness, yes. Thank you for putting into words what I've been trying to muddle out about how their relationship is different. It's hard to put Selina in a room with an older man and *not* have sexual undercurrents, no? But I think the Ted/Holly relationship is very familial, and in Very Good Ways.
    What a brilliant idea you pose here. I think Holly would make an amazing Wildcat.
    Ciao,
    AR

     
  • At August 25, 2006 10:24 AM, Blogger Flidget Jerome said…

    What I'd like is if this could be tied in to the other theory that Ted Grant is Donna Troy's father. I want flashbacks showing Hippolyta having Strong Words about what she thinks of the idea of any daughter of hers running around dressed as a cat. I want Donna to take an interest in Holly's training because she's watching her dad's back.

     
  • At August 25, 2006 11:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Great idea! Wildcat's needed something more for a long time, and getting his own "legacy connection" would certainly fill the bill....especially now that he's supposedly down to one "life" left.

    Any possibilities what Holly's superhero handle could be?

    Kittycat? Nah...too cutesy.

    Feral? Nah....to early 90's.

    Lioness? Eh....maybe.

    I'm obviously hitting a wall here. Anyone have any better ideas?

     
  • At August 25, 2006 11:34 AM, Blogger Dorian said…

    I really like this idea. It fits both Ted's and Holly's personalities to a T, and it takes Holly out of Gotham, where, let's face it, any supporting cast members may as well just go around with big bulls-eyes taped to their backs.

    Given the number of times Ted has quit superheroing to mentor and train kids, this would tie in nicely to that as well.

     
  • At August 25, 2006 12:24 PM, Blogger R.Nav said…

    Puma? Puma!

    PUMA PUMA PUMA PUMA!

    God, I love that word.

    PUMA!

    Okay, it's out of my system. Really.
    Great idea. I like Holly :)

     
  • At August 25, 2006 1:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Feline?

    Wildclaw? (now THAT's too 90's)

    Moggy?

    Alleycat? oooh, I liked that last one

     
  • At August 25, 2006 1:24 PM, Blogger padgett said…

    It's hard to put Selina in a room with an older man and *not* have sexual undercurrents, no?

    It's hard to put Ted in a room with any woman and not have sexual undercurrents.

    And, yes, certainly seems like a nice fit. Wildcat slips very easily into the elder mentor role, so I'm perfectly happy for him to be more background-oriented (especially since I assume that, even if he were to stop wearing the costume, Johns would still write him in pretty heavily)

    As far as names, isn't Tigress available? It's kind of a lousy name, but it does have Earth-2 creds (though might be odd for Ted's protege to take the name of one of his enemies)

     
  • At August 25, 2006 1:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Love to see Holly stay in the hero biz, and this seems like a good way to accomplish that feat.

    However, and my memory may be faulty here, I think Holly already died once to fuel Selina angst. Her return was handled pretty humorously in a "meta" featurette by Brubaker and Darwyn Cook.

    I think ...

     
  • At August 25, 2006 8:13 PM, Blogger notintheface said…

    Although my CATWOMAN reading is sporadic, I think what you're proposing is a great idea. It beats killing her off or turning her into another Connor Hawke where the writer can't find a place for her so they keep putting her in the hospital.

     
  • At August 26, 2006 1:48 AM, Blogger kalinara said…

    loren: Thanks! I really like her too. It seems like a waste if they don't do anything with her. Birds of Prey would be a nice choice too. :-)

    amy: :-) Thanks! It is rare for Selina to not have chemistry with older men, or Ted with anyone. I'm not actually sure how Holly ended up exempted. But I like their relationship a lot. :-)

    flidget: That'd be cool. :-)

    mark: :-) Thanks. I think I like Dumma's Alleycat suggestion myself. :-)

    dorian: *nod* Poor Holly's pretty doomed if she stays in Gotham, I think. :-( It's only a matter of time.

    r.nav: It is a fun word!

    dumma: Ooo, Alleycat! It's very urban sounding which suits the Gotham origin. I like it a lot!

    dr. flem: Yep. But they do actually manage a bit with Holly.

    *nod* I would definitely want to keep Ted around as a mentor. He's too cool to get rid of completely. :-)

    There's a Tigress running around with the Injustice Society actually. Artemis Crock, daughter of the original Huntress/Tigress and the Sportsmaster. She's currently (as of One Year Ago at least) sleeping with Icicle. :-)

    keeper: That just proves it really. :-( Big target sign on her back.

    notinthe: Well, Connor's getting a miniseries soon. But yeah, if they can't find anything to do with her, she'll either be like him or dead which would suck.

     
  • At August 26, 2006 3:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    As for a name: Wildcatwoman!

    Also, if you think the Selina/Ted relationship is sexual, you can somewhat envision Holly as their daughter.

     
  • At August 26, 2006 3:51 AM, Blogger kalinara said…

    Holly as the thematic parallel to Helena Wayne?

    That's a very interesting thought. :-) Considering the kind of things I've been posting tonight. :-)

     
  • At August 28, 2006 10:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I like the idea, but as a CATWOMAN fan I feel it would be a loss for the title. The relationship between Selina and Holly is one of the book's strenghts (thanks to Brubaker).

     
  • At August 28, 2006 11:34 AM, Blogger kalinara said…

    anon: It would be a loss for Catwoman. But honestly, I do think she's doomed otherwise. If not by Pfeifer than by whoever shows next.

    On the other hand, Jay manages both the JSA and minor characterhood in Flash, so she might be able to stick around. :-)

     
  • At August 29, 2006 10:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Though I'd hate to lose Ted (as he's my #1 favorite DC character) at least Holly would make sense. Much better than inventing someone out of nowhere to take over.

     
  • At August 30, 2006 7:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I thought Holly ended up exempted from Ted's sexual chemistry because she's a lesbian. Here's hoping that they don't decide to angstify her by killing off Karon!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home