Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Sunday, August 06, 2006

Random Thoughts: Special Convention Edition

- Driving to Chicago is much better than driving to Charlotte.
-- I still hate Virginia

- We wore special shirts. We were a scary legion of blue-shirted groupies.
-- Lots of people asked "So what happens when fangirls attack?"
--- We really need a nice practiced clever answer for this...hmm...

- The DC Panels were a lot of fun!
-- Bob Wayne is a lot funnier in person than reading quotes in writing. Seriously, very very funny.
--- Keith Giffen's funny too. And he knew of WFA!
-- Geoff Johns is a balloon killer!

-Dan Didio is a really nice, if hyper, guy really. Very enthusiastic. I admit I don't understand how he sets some folk off. He's like certain members of my family. Maybe it's an Italian thing. :-)

-Ragnell asked if Mosaic is in continuity. Specifically the end. They said yes. Later we asked Geoff Johns if he remembered the ending...particularly the resurrection. His facial expression was funny. Kind of an "Oh shit" look. But not necessarily in a bad way. We're hoping it means he realized he has a new toy.

-Saw a video game concert. It was cute but kind of lame. Too much current video game music. I was hoping for more of the classic stuff. They had a nice Legend of Zelda one though. In general it was all other stuff though. And the theatre was too cold. :-)

-The hotel room is nice, roommate and I are staying with Ragnell and her sister. We watched the first Lexx movie as it's crackier than Mosaic.

-Saw some neat costumes! A Batgirl, Supergirl, Power Girl. My roommate saw a Sandman (Doddsian not Vertigo). There was a nifty Alan Scott too.

-Roommate got Dirk Benedict to sign an old Battlestar Galactica comic, go her!

-And some nifty comic news that certain folk might like, that's probably been reported elsewhere:
--Batgirl will be in Titans East. Cassandra Cain. No details though.
--Carol Ferris/Star Sapphire/the Zamarons (or at least one of the three) will come up in Green Lantern

-Lots of John Stewart questions, which is great!

-They showed the JSA cover as well, I hadn't seen it yet.
--Interesting missing people.
--And yay! Sand! I like the costume. On closer look it's not very much like Wes's. The mask is vaguely skull like and the skeleton-boned gloves are a little weird. Even his costume looks vaguely like a black shroud.
---I wonder if it's a mask at all.

-Ron Marz is really nice too. He wrote the happy birthday song in Ragnell's sister's autograph book (it's her birthday, naturally). And they gave out free copies of the first issues of Samurai Heaven and Earth.
--Apparently he studied Chinese and Japanese history in college. :-) Common ground! Cool! Also means that I'll probably like Samurai! (Somehow I'd never gotten around to reading it).

-We saw Paul Jenkins's writing comics panel. It was very neat! Some nice tricks to consider.
--He was nice as well. Makes me almost regret not being a Civil War fan.

-Lots of neat artists and web comics. We got inducted into a web-comic "frat" in which we had to swear to drink a lot of beer and look at breasts.
--It's quite possible I'm a bad feminist.
---He joked about it being a frat custom for "brothers" to kiss, so we (all girls) should.
----We said okay, if he kissed his "brothers" at the table, (all guys), they declined.
-----No hot man-on-man action for me, darnit.

So yeah it was fun. Tomorrow is a Silver Age trivia thing. I might try, even though I suck at most Silver Age stuff that's not Lantern related. Still it sounds like fun! I'm definately going to watch!

14 Comments:

  • At August 06, 2006 3:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This is making me wish I went out there being back in Chicago, even though I wouldn't have a way to get to Rosemont. Then I could harangue Geoff Johns in person about killing Pantha and other bad Titans decisions. :D Or at least have asked if he's going to continue the Beast Boy/Raven romance soon. Cass being on Titans East, I have to admit though, could be the one bright spot.

    I can relate to the Italian family comparision, but I still think Didio's a jerk. :)

     
  • At August 06, 2006 4:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    When fangirls attack, people die. There's nothing I, or anyone on my team, can do to stop then. When fangirls attack, there are going to be casaulties, and that's not going to change. Our job is to make sure that they don't get any further.

    This was my friend's response, when I asked him what he thought of your "when fangirls attack" question.

     
  • At August 06, 2006 9:09 AM, Blogger kalinara said…

    jlg: Haranguing is fun. :-)

    Admittedly, I don't even know if Cass on the Titans will be a member of the team or an adversary. But at least folks know where to look for her next.

    Fair enough. :-)

    kari anna: Hee. A bit long though. We'll keep it in mind. ;-)

     
  • At August 06, 2006 9:50 AM, Blogger ComicBookGoddess said…

    I distinctly remember that he said Cassandra Cain would be in Titans East... That's not necessarily the same thing. :)

     
  • At August 06, 2006 10:13 AM, Blogger Elayne said…

    Sounds like you're having a ball. Say hi to Geoff for us (me and Robin)!

     
  • At August 06, 2006 11:09 AM, Blogger kalinara said…

    sin: He actually did say "Batgirl" as well. Though it could have just been clarification. :-)

    elayne: will do!

     
  • At August 06, 2006 11:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "In brightest day, in blackest night,
    no false assumptions shall escape our sight!
    Let those who don't believe in female comicbook might,
    Read When Fangirls Attack.. And See the Light!"

    or

    We defeat the villain, rescue the boy, and leave a befuddled crowd going "Who were those masked people?"

     
  • At August 06, 2006 12:20 PM, Blogger CalvinPitt said…

    A friend of mine at the comic book store told me about the Batgirl in Titans East thing yesterday, in hopes it would stave off my war of vengeance against Didio.

    Personally, I think it lends creedance to your "evil twin" theory.

    I'm glad to hear Paul Jenkins is a nice guy. I really enjoyed his work on Spider-Man. I just wish he hadn't created The Sentry.

    When Fangirls Attack. . .

    Their eyes roll over white, and then you hear this terrible high pitched screaming, and suddenly there's blood in the water. . .

    or

    When Fangirls Attack, even Samuel L. Jackson runs for his life.

     
  • At August 06, 2006 6:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What happens when Fangirls attack?

    The market changes, maybe?

    You need to start a membership drive.

     
  • At August 06, 2006 7:35 PM, Blogger Zaratustra said…

    Sandman's new outfit looks like some kind of theatre costume out of a 1940 French play. Spring-heeled Jack or Fantômas or whatever.

    -and- Didio gets on my nerves exactly because he's so happy with himself.

     
  • At August 06, 2006 9:32 PM, Blogger Hale of Angelthorne said…

    Please. "When fangirls attack...Chuck Norris wets his pants."

     
  • At August 07, 2006 12:12 AM, Blogger kalinara said…

    anon: Hee, that's a nice oath!

    calvin: We'll see, I'm cautiously optimistic because Johns referred to her as Batgirl. Which seems to mean not completely a villain to me.

    anon: :-) Maybe. We're thinking of selling t-shirts.

    zaratustra: That just makes it perfect! Very time-appropriate.

    Hmm, I can see it I guess. Still reminds me of certain family members. :-)

    themadthinker: It had its cool points. :-)

    The suit is definitely nice, and I'd bet he is calling himself that now. Heck, he was still being called that every so often in JSA. :-)

    hale: Hee.

     
  • At August 07, 2006 12:19 AM, Blogger ComicBookGoddess said…

    Anon: I'm working on getting them to advertise more :)

    I started with the blue polo shirts. It is only PART of my evil plan... MUAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

     
  • At August 07, 2006 8:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Don't feel too bad about Paul Jenkins and Civil War. He barely has anything to do with it. And his Frontline book is probably one of the few parts of the mess that is readable.

    But you are right. He's one of the nicest creators I ever met. To tell my story, I met him at the first Wizard World Texas.

    He was author of the big giveaway book (Wolverine The End #1 with a special cover) but most of the people coming to his table that day were there to get the autograph of the artist on the book; not him.

    This was on Sunday and apparently his flight had been bumped up, so he was only able to stay for the first two hours. So as I was standing in line, hoping I'd get there before his go-time, I saw this man moving up the aisle, talking to people and then moving up. And then I recognized him from my copy of Hellblazer #120...

    Paul was slowly working his way up the line, looking for fans who were there specifically for him, signing their books, chatting a bit... and then moving on.

    Got my Spectacular #1 signed and slipped him a business card.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home