Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Thursday, November 02, 2006

Darn You Marv Wolfman! Darn Yooooou!

So, I buy Nightwing on a whim. Because last month's was relatively tolerable and I even occasionally picked up issues during the Jones and Grayson runs, just so I could remind myself of my virile and irrational hatred of the character.

And what do I find?

A Dick that's on the phone with Alfred. A Dick that's not a solitary angst-boy and is at least keeping communication with a supportive familial figure.

A Dick that has an ally doing tech work for him. An ally he seems to be protectively fraternal toward.

A Dick that helps some kid in a gym improve his acrobatic work, showing him how it's done and giving pointers in an easy-going and friendly manner.

A Dick that can have a conversation with a woman that doesn't immediately devolve into a mooning, teenage crush on him, reference to unbearable sexual tension, or falling immediately into bed. I mean sure, she's probably an eventual love interest. But they're not having sex yet!

A Dick that has exactly two panels of reflected angst over the death of his parents in the course of the book. No "OMG, I FAILED" or "Batman doesn't love me!" in sight.

A Dick that has a sense of humor that is wry and wisecracky without going overboard.

A Dick that is able to use his general empathy and approachability to gently question a grieving widow and gain her cooperation.

A Dick that, thanks to Jurgens, manages to look both attractive and a little goofy (horrible hair works for him) which goes a long way in divorcing him from the over-angsty pretty boy and returns to him the proper dork-tastic charm.

In short, while the plot is still nothing special, Wolfman has delivered on a Dick Grayson that finally feels like a grown-up version of Robin again.

He's delivered a Dick Grayson I actually LIKE.

I feel my life sustaining (or at least blog entry-sustaining) hatred of Dick Grayson ebbing...

DARN YOU WOLFMAN! DARN YOU!

(I still think your name is awesome though.)

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

  • At November 02, 2006 7:13 AM, Blogger Ragnell said…

    Thanks to that Jurgens description, I'm picturing Burt Ward (but still in his twenties, of course) in the Nightwing costume.

    And this is good. I had a crush on Burt Ward in reruns.

     
  • At November 02, 2006 8:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm not really a Nightwing fan any more (Grayson and Jones pretty much chased me away), but I'm going to start picking the book up once Jamal (FIRESTORM) Igle comes in on art. He does a great job on youthful characters.

    Nice to hear that the book no longer completely sucks, too!

     
  • At November 02, 2006 5:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Now you know why the New Teen Titans of the 80's was such a good read. This is why people love Nightwing. And Donna Troy for that matter.

     
  • At November 02, 2006 7:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yes, the Dick we know and love is back. :)

     
  • At November 02, 2006 7:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yes, the Dick we know and love is back. :)

     
  • At November 02, 2006 7:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    First Supergirl, now this.

     
  • At November 03, 2006 5:16 AM, Blogger kalinara said…

    ragnell: It's really more 80s mullet Dick. But still Dork-tastic and good.

    david: It's worth a try, honestly. Wolfman's written the OYL book Dick should have had, IMO.

    Igle should be an interesting art choice.

    matthew: I'm starting to get it.

    shelly: Now I have to find a new character to hate! :-)

    evan: Supergirl's still got a ways to go for me. To give Kelly credit, he's made huge steps in making her tolerable. But she's still a character that I don't particularly find likeable or compelling. (I'm willing to give him time though)

    Nightwing though somehow went from sucking horribly to actually becoming a book that I really want the next issue of...

    It's a miracle!

     
  • At November 03, 2006 8:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ;) ( Haveing imeasurable glee pictureing Kalinara frustrated)

    Starts kango line dance: Nightwing is back hey! Nightwing is back HEY!
    :)

     
  • At November 03, 2006 10:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Couldn't agree more - Wolfman (and Jurgens - I love his stuff, always have) has brought back a Nightwing that I can like again. I enjoyed a lot of Devin's run but Jones chased me away with a giant stick.

    But now...Dick is back! Unfortunately, there seems to be a Monitor lurking...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home