Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Solicits!

The February Solicits are up!

They look pretty neat, but I have to say...the Green Arrow solicit bemuses me a little.

Red Hood is looking for Hal? In Star City?!

I mean okay, Hal and Ollie did team up a lot and do road trips together way back when. But ignoring that these comics were written circa thirty years ago...

The O'Neill Green Lantern/Green Arrow issues included the introduction and subsequent coma-making of Guy Gardner. According to JLA v2, Guy was out of commission for seven years. He woke up during Crisis and near as I can tell plot wise, he'd been awake one-two years before Zero Hour. I remember seeing something somewhere just before Infinite Crisis stating that Zero Hour was one year before. Which seems crazy, considering so much happened. But hey, considering the fluidity of timelines...well, hell, it's comics. I'll buy it. And Infinite Crisis was one comic year ago.

So that means, it's been at least ten years since Hal and Ollie were teaming up on a regular basis. More, if you're not crazy enough to smile and nod and agree that Zero Hour was only a year ago comics time. So Red Hood, who I'd imagine is still Jason Todd, former protege of Batman, one of the information kings of the DCU, is using decade-old information to track down a Green Lantern.

I mean, sure, making trouble to attract Green Arrow and then using him to get at his friend seems like a good idea. But...why not go to Coast City, make trouble, and attract Hal himself. It seems like it would cut out the middle man.
Unless he meant to, and got the places confused...

See, this is part of why, DC-fanatic that I am, I think Marvel did a better job with the whole "resurrected sidekick turned evil" plot. At least the Winter Soldier can read a damn map.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

  • At November 14, 2006 11:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sorry... I'm confused.

    You're expecting logic and reason from a character in a Judd Winick book? And Green Arrow no less?

     
  • At November 14, 2006 1:18 PM, Blogger SallyP said…

    My guess is that the Red Hood read in the newspaper that Ollie was going to cut the ribbon at the new Hooters in Star City, and naturally assumed that Hal would show up for "moral" support. No one ever said that Jason Todd was particularly bright.

    And the 7 years in a coma thing? You're right, it does say 7 years in JLI, but in Green Lantern vol II, right around when Guy was resurrected, John Stewart mentions that Guy was in a coma for Three years, which has always confused the heck out of me. NEVERTHELESS, it has been quite some time since Hal and Ollie were joined at the hip.

     
  • At November 14, 2006 1:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Jason can't go and hunt Hal in Coast City, because that would have to happen in Green Lantern, and therefore Winick wouldn't get to play with his new toy. He's the one who resurrected Jay in the first place.

    I'm still looking forward to it, even if it is devoid of logic. Winick does give good Jason. I'm just not sure why he's doing in Green Arrow, rather than a mini or suchlike.

     
  • At November 14, 2006 4:26 PM, Blogger Jon said…

    "I remember seeing something somewhere just before Infinite Crisis stating that Zero Hour was one year before."

    That was me.

    Or you read the issue of JSA in question. Whichever.

     
  • At November 14, 2006 6:06 PM, Blogger kalinara said…

    matt: hope springs eternal!

    sallyp: Ooo. I'd forgotten that! I much prefer the "three years" thing myself. Though it does make me revise my age estimate quite a bit...

    Three years definitely fits better with the fact that Hal of ten years ago didn't recognize Guy or John. And I usually do like to favor GL over JLI when it comes to things like facts. :-)

    Still. It's a long time. :-)

    papervolcano: Hee. Probably for the best. I would like to see Winick's Jason again. Just...ya know. Can't he be targetting Ollie?

    jon: Er. Actually, it was both. :-) But thanks! You've saved me from hunting down the link. :-)

     
  • At November 14, 2006 6:44 PM, Blogger tavella said…

    ...except no one is acting like Hal was only away for a year between Zero Hour and Rebirth, and prodigy Kyle might be but I don't think he went from complete rookie to veteran locking down supernovas and rebuilding solarsystem sized heaven-makers in a year.

    This year thing I do not buy.

     
  • At November 14, 2006 8:53 PM, Blogger Green Arrow said…

    To add to the mix... In 'the Archer's Quest', Ollie says that it has been 'over a dozen years' since he did the road trip with Hal.

    Weren't you supposed to read this one? ;)

     
  • At November 15, 2006 9:29 PM, Blogger Marc Burkhardt said…

    I'll agree with you re. The Winter Soldier.

    But then again, it's Judd Winick vs. Ed Brubaker so it's really not a fair contest.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home