Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Feeling a tad Marvelous

Okay, while I admit I don't tend to offer as much fangirl joy over the Marvel solicits as I do over DC's (I'm still primarily a DC girl at heart, after all), one thing in the new solicits makes me very happy.

I'm referring to the Wisdom solicit. Because there will always be that inner part of me that delights in such things as sticking Hitler's brain in someone else's body. (I actually always thought that a comic with roots in the weirder WWII legends could be awesome, have the heroes have to find Hitler's secret base in Antarctica, stop his underworld giant allies and neutralize his hidden fleet of UFOs...but I digress)

Anyway. Pete Wisdom. Versus. Jack the Ripper. Not just one, mind you. But a veritable FLEET of Jack the Ripper.

Sometimes, comics, you remind me of why I love you...

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

  • At December 13, 2006 11:09 AM, Blogger SallyP said…

    This actually looks like one of the few bright spots in the Marvel solicits. I'm still so disgusted by Civil War, that I've been running to DC as fast as I can.

    But the character of Wisdom has always been a good one, and god knows, a little tongue-in-cheekiness is always welcome.

     
  • At December 13, 2006 11:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Actually all of Marvels solicits look pretty good...

     
  • At December 13, 2006 5:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sounds like you'd like Hellboy.

     
  • At December 14, 2006 6:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wisdom's new series is actually better than New Excalibur (what's 'New' about it, anyway?).

    I especially like Wisdom's fun-loving, cheeky attitude in his book. The character has always been a bit misanthropic, but the cheekiness is a part of him too, so it's nice to see it acknowledged. And I just like the character.

    Anyway, the first issue was awesome. Wisdom versus FAIRIES! And this sounds even better.

    It's odd. Wisdom is supposed to be a Max book, where the books are all usually bloodthirsty or dripping in angst, or show as many crotch shots as possible. But this book is fun. It's not taking itself too seriously. Apart from some bad language there's little that would be out of place in an all-ages book.

    Most of Marvel's books take themselves too seriously. There's an essential goofy element to comics. So Runaways is my favourite of the ongoing titles (they brought back SWARM). And I like Wisdom because of the whole bonkers nature of it. (Wisdom's briefing to his team before going to Otherworld: "Do not join the Round Table. Do not eat anything. Don't pull anything from anything. Don't marry anything". I cracked up when reading that.)

     
  • At December 14, 2006 6:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    (I actually always thought that a comic with roots in the weirder WWII legends could be awesome, have the heroes have to find Hitler's secret base in Antarctica, stop his underworld giant allies and neutralize his hidden fleet of UFOs...but I digress)

    If you haven't already you should pick up some Hellboy. He fought the remnants of the Nazi space program in The Conquring Worm, Cthulhu-worhsipping neo-Nazis hiding in the Amazon in the Hellboy/Batman/Starman crossover, and is himself the result of a weird Nazi occult experiment.

     
  • At January 18, 2007 3:50 PM, Blogger Paul Cornell said…

    Aw, hey! Thank you very much! Hope you liked issue two. We should be on a monthly schedule from now on. Just about to write the last issue. Cheers.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home