Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Friday, December 22, 2006

I Wonder...

I have to admit, I'm not a huge Peter David fan. I've enjoyed his Supergirl and Young Justice, but I think both started strong and then petered out toward the end. The endings (Tim's speech and the Kara-Linda story) were strong but the story-arcs just before that really seemed to suffer, in my opinion. I had a similar reaction to Sir Apropos, of Nothing, now that I think about it.

Anyway, I've never really been interested in Fallen Angel, because of this. I can tell that Mr. David's a good writer, but stylistically, I'm largely apathetic. I have to admit though this post from Fortress of Fortitude has made me interested.

I'm very happy because I have quite a few friends who are huge Linda fans and will undoubtedly be happy to see her tied into the series however it's necessary. I don't know that I'll read it myself (depends on how much I'm spending that week), but it seems like a good thing.

Though, I have to admit, I'm curious about how the copyright things work in this case. It seems to me that, considering Fallen Angel isn't (as far as I know) a DC property, there would be some legal issues with using the Matrix or Linda Danvers characters. Though, since comic companies aren't stupid, I'm sure that the company will have squared everything away properly.

I admit, I had the same thoughts when that Tintin manga-Wonder Woman thing started circling the blogosphere. There was some rumor about another company taking her up on the idea, which seems odd to me. I'd heard that there was some weird legal loophole DC had with Marston's estate regarding the character, but I thought that finally got cleared up.

Sorry for rambling on. I just find this all pretty interesting.

5 Comments:

  • At December 22, 2006 10:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "I have to admit, I'm not a huge Peter David fan. I've enjoyed his Supergirl and Young Justice, but I think both started strong and then petered out toward the end. "

    Since it's so close to Christmas, I'll forgive you that horrible pun, Kalinara. ;)

    This whole thing looks to me like another one of David's periodic PR stunts, where he stirs up some kind of mini-controversy to get attention back to failing books (like the "challenge" he issued to Joey Q. and Jemas when his Captain Marvel series was withering on the vine). Considering he came into the biz from the sales & marketing wing of Marvel, I guess it's only natural that he's still a bit of a showman/pimpster.....but really, making the Big Reveal that his character supposedly IS Linda Danvers? I'm not sure what there is to gain from that, other than a letter from DC's legal hit squad.

    Oh, wait...maybe slightly increased sales? Yeah, that must be it.

     
  • At December 22, 2006 11:19 AM, Blogger Rob S. said…

    I very seriously doubt Lee will be revealed to be Linda Danvers. Whatever he's planning, I'm pretty sure that ain't it. It's exactly what people would expect, for one thing, and it would almost certain create legal trouble down the road. Why the hell would a creator who owns a character reveal something to make her derivative of someone else's property? Something else is going on.

     
  • At December 22, 2006 5:50 PM, Blogger Marc Burkhardt said…

    Peter David explicitly stated that Linda and Lee are not one and the same.

    That said, I suspect he'll be picking up the Earth Angel concept in some form and "continuing" Linda's (or a fair representation of Linda's) story in that manner.

     
  • At December 22, 2006 6:08 PM, Blogger Batiduende said…

    I have to agree about how PAD's stories tend to peter out. It's like he gets bored or stops trying and then the whole thing enters some inhuman autopilot.

     
  • At December 22, 2006 8:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Young Justice and Supergirl were actually canceled. Hence why they petered out.

    Supergirl was supposed to turn into something called "Blond Justice" involving Kara, Linda, and Power Girl.

    Young Justice was cancelled by Dan Dido and replaced by Teen Titans.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home