Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Nostalgia Kick!

My parents are the awesomest gift-givers ever! Among other presents, they gave me the first boxed set of She-Ra: Princess of Power!

I don't think I need to tell you how awesome this is.

Anyway, I've been reading the series bible, and reminded all over again how this show and He-Man essentially molded my view on feminism.

This quote gave me a warm fuzzy feeling inside:

"SHE-RA, PRINCESS OF POWER will reinforce the fact that one person can make a difference. Man or woman, boy or girl, you have the potential to make the world a better place."


I'm not usually on much of a nostalgia kick. I tend to like modern things as well as, if not more than what came before. (For example, I find the modern age of comics, for all its faults, to be far more to my taste than the Silver. Or even the Golden Age) But when I think about it now, I can't really think of any cartoon show right now that is really so willing to embrace that sort of message. Even if it's just in that cheesy 80's way.

I mean, we have cartoons that are fun. And definitely cartoons that are educational. But I can't think of any that really seem to embrace that sense of power and independence for its own sake. And I can't help but think that's a shame.

Also another quote that made me smile:

"Women should play a major role in all stories, not only Shera and her super-powered friends and enemies, but women of all kinds. Don't neglect our male characters. They are important too, just don't surrender to the macho-syndrome of many cartoons in which the females are wispy Princesses always in need of rescue. Strive always for a true equality of characters, thinking of our people as just that, people, regardless of sex differences."


I think I love you, series-bible writer! From your lips to EVERYONE's ears!

6 Comments:

  • At December 26, 2006 1:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Come to think of it, She-Ra was the only show I can think of that had a considerable ammount of female villains. And competent female villains at that.

     
  • At December 26, 2006 1:16 AM, Blogger kalinara said…

    Yep! I was always fond of Evil-Lyn as well. But She-Ra had a multitude! It was great!

     
  • At December 26, 2006 2:01 AM, Blogger the prophet king said…

    What about the He-Man/ She-Ra team ups?

    (Verifi-word: Hiffy. I feel insulted, yet don't know why.)

     
  • At December 26, 2006 3:33 AM, Blogger kalinara said…

    I like the team-ups actually. They tend to make a good, equal team...

    Besides, 9 times out of 10, if one twin is in distress and needs rescue, it's HIM rather than HER. :-)

     
  • At December 26, 2006 11:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    They published the series bible along with the box set? Is it the entire thing?

    If so, that is by far the neatest box set ever. I'm a junkie for that kind of process/behind-the-scenes stuff.

    It's almost enough to make me want to buy the set, but my tastes ran more toward Transformers and Ghostbusters than He-Man/She-ra. Still, I am tempted.

     
  • At December 26, 2006 1:43 PM, Blogger kalinara said…

    racy: Totally agreed!

    david: Both the He-Man and She-Ra sets include pdf copies of their respective bibles as a dvd rom feature. It is AWESOME.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home