Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Dammit DC!

52's FINALLY almost over. I thought this finally meant, you know, a non-weekly drain on my wallet. I promised myself I wouldn't buy another weekly series.

But...darnit. Countdown looks really freaking cool.

Heck, Jimmy Olsen is involved! Jimmy Olsen. And Mary Marvel! Though Pied Piper is a villain again? That makes me sad. I know Bart's much less interesting than Wally, but that's no reason to go all Dark Side, man!

From the sound of it, this one won't be a flashback, which is very cool. I liked 52 a lot, but I thought the flashback format weakened it. Especially when all this stuff that was big during 52 never got mentioned OYL. (Though considering how long a year in comics tends to be, I'm not terribly surprised anyway. Things get forgotten pretty quickly.) Of course a lot of it's because they hadn't thought of everything cool pre-OYL, but still, it did make things a little awkward.

And I guess this means Kyle does survive Ion 12! (I never thought they'd kill him, well, permanently anyway. He's an appealing, interesting character that's proven himself capable of carrying a series, and he's in a franchise that supports multiple heroes without them becoming redundant. Of course, they could always kill him in Countdown... Fortunately the franchise also supports gratuitous resurrections.)

It does sound like the format will be different than 52, which is probably a plus. I do like 52, but no one can say it's without flaw. A different approach sounds interesting.

I'm also not really surprised by a new weekly comic, 52 proved it could be successful after all. And anything described as the "shit blows up" book can't be bad by my standards.

...darnit. I did like having money once upon a time. :-)

9 Comments:

  • At February 21, 2007 8:46 AM, Blogger Will Staples said…

    This sounds pretty interesting.

    I am kinda disappointed that it means we'll have to wait another year for this mega-crossover they're planning, though. I know it's popular to bitch about them, but it's really the crazy Crises that I like about the DCU.

     
  • At February 21, 2007 9:28 AM, Blogger Flidget Jerome said…

    I am beyond excited by what seems like the second coming of the Toonverse, except now we can include the JSA too.

    The only way this can get any closer to the way my ideal DCU looks like is if they finally settle the legal issues that keeps them from using Milestone's heroes.

     
  • At February 21, 2007 11:17 AM, Blogger SallyP said…

    Countdown does sound like it is going to be interesting. I do admit to checking out the picture and making sure that all the Lanterns were present and accounted for. Whew!

    And look Mary Marvel isn't in a coma anymore!

    But I'm still worried about Ralph, Booster and a few others.

     
  • At February 21, 2007 12:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I, too, am sad that Piper is a criminal again. We've been having a discussion about it on my blog and people have managed to pull me out of the sadness because this could potentially set him into the land of heroes again.

    All this sad, I'm excited about this because it sounds interesting. AND, the quality of writers they're bringing in is awesome - Dini, McKeever, Palmiotti, Gray and others.

     
  • At February 21, 2007 12:23 PM, Blogger Jason said…

    I'm glad they're doing this, as 52 has gotten me addicted to a weekly comic. It's something that gets me to the shop every week and I like that if there is a "slow" issue, there's a new one only 7 days away to pick up the pace. I hope they lower the price to 2.50. For some reason, $.49 seems like a lot of money.

    I would like to see Montoya/Question conitnue on in this series (or her own).

     
  • At February 21, 2007 7:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Kalinara, sorry to make my first comment on your (great) blog a negative one BUT I'm going to have to lodge my dissent on this issue. Countdown doesn't look all that interesting to me. After nearly three years of moving from event to event (with DC: Countdown and its spin-offs to Infinite Crisis to 52 with Marvel: House of M to Decimation to Civil War ) I'm just bloody exhausted of earth shattering events that rock the superhero world or break the internet in half. ANOTHER weekly series will just make matters worse in my opinion.

    I wish, for say a year, both companies would just take a break from world smashing and allow all the characters and the creators to go off into their own corners and tell have own stories. No large crossovers, no crisis or war, just good character focused super hero stories. Then maybe I'd be more excited about another book like Countdown.

    I will agree that the idea of Jimmy Oslen being the driving force (or one of them) behind a weekly comic is an interesting idea. I just feel that right now isn't the best time for a story like that. AND I too am glad that Kyle (who will always be my GL) survives Ion.

    Again, apologies for the negativity.

     
  • At February 21, 2007 9:05 PM, Blogger Rob S. said…

    Didn't DC just do that for a year? 52, while spanning the DCU, hasn't been a big crossover event -- it's been pretty much self-contained. And meanwhile the other books have pretty much stood on their own.

     
  • At February 22, 2007 1:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Mary Marvel! Oh, that's worth the price of admission.

    I feel you on the money issue though.

    Comics= more expensive than crack.

     
  • At February 23, 2007 2:04 AM, Blogger Ununnilium said…

    Yeah - I don't get it when people refer to DC still doing big crossover events, because they haven't since Infinite Crisis ended. While 52 influences the rest of the DCU, you don't have to buy it to keep up with your favorite titles, and their plots aren't sidetracked because of what's happening in it. It looks like Countdown will be the same way.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home