Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Thursday, February 01, 2007

A non-spoilery Reaction to Teen Titans:

Leave it to the guy who made Parallax a Space Bug to figure out a fixable explanation for what happened to Cassandra Cain. :-) I may not be a fan of the character myself, but this seems like the best sort of solution. This way they can play around with her as a villain for a while, but then, at the end, they can fix her pretty easily.

She's definitely going to have more angst, I'd reckon, with the whole killing people thing, but oddly I find the thought of this guilt-angst trip a lot more palatable than the first. (I'm not sure why, because honestly this time she's even less accountable than she was as a child. But I never claimed to be logical.)

I am not actually bothered that neither Bruce nor Barbara noticed a problem yet (Well, pre Robin OYL). Cass was over 18 at the end of Batgirl, when she seemed to drop off the grid intentionally. They probably felt she was old enough to make that decision herself. I am slightly more bothered by Bruce's seeming indifference in Robin, but maybe there's something in WWIII to explain that. I hope so. Bruce is a jerk, but not an unreasonable one.

I'm actually looking forward to Beechen on Teen Titans. He wasn't bad on Robin once he found his swing. Admittedly the Cass-transformation had severe character inconsistencies that a simple read-through of the last few issues of Batgirl could have avoided, but I wonder how much lead time he was given when the editors sprung the change on him. It's possible that he just didn't have time to read all of it, and thus was forced to cram as much from the 73 issue series as possible into his head, real fast.

His Robin is pretty good about referencing and working with past continuity (especially Dixon's) so the man does seem willing to do his homework. (I'm giving a pass on the Lynx-suddenly-not-dead thing, because Detective Comics had a few other characters suddenly-not-dead at the same time. I always felt they were being used to make a quick point about the "New Earth")

So yeah, I'll give him a shot. I think he's good with teen characters. And to be honest, much as I enjoy Johns, I've really felt Teen Titans to be his weakest title (especially now that Superboy has left). I'm curious to see what another writer will make of the characters. Especially, if I may say so, Wonder Girl. Cassie's the one character whose development I'd really like to see take a new direction.

And hopefully the man's learned his lesson about Batgirl. :-)

6 Comments:

  • At February 01, 2007 9:45 AM, Blogger Rich said…

    Yep, I'd say its the easiest solution - and most reversible, even if it doesn't tie back to the explanation in Robin. As for why Bruce seemed unfeeling, maybe she'd under deep deep deeeeeeeep cover - she did it in JLElite, after all. And the killings are all faked...yeah that's it.

    I'm kind of keen to see where Beechen takes the book too - especially re Cassie (hopefully getting rid of this awkwardness with Robin - they work better as friends) and Kid Devil.

     
  • At February 01, 2007 11:52 AM, Blogger Centurion said…

    Batgirl vs Deathstroke?

    Here's hoping...

     
  • At February 01, 2007 5:52 PM, Blogger notintheface said…

    Do you think this could explain Jean Loring, too?


    (Huge spoiler ahead!!!!)



    Do you think "Slade's hypos" could replace "Superboy Prime's punches" as DC's resident all purpose explanation?

     
  • At February 01, 2007 6:10 PM, Blogger Rich said…

    Nah.

    Jean Loring was always nutty:

    Shameless plug: http://comicbycomic.blogspot.com/2007/01/looking-back-power-of-atom.html

     
  • At February 03, 2007 2:17 PM, Blogger Zaratustra said…

  • At February 04, 2007 7:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Mmmm, yes, I too am looking forward to Beechen's run on Teen Titans. However, I will be sad to see Johns go as I have thoroughly enjoyed his writing. But I am hoping that Beechen will pay more attention to Cassie too because she has been SO neglected since Young Justice and she deservesa bigger chance to shine.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home