Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Saturday, February 17, 2007

Quick Reaction to Ghost Rider

Okay, so I saw it. And honestly, it was as stupid and awesome as I expected.

I won't go for an in depth review yet, because it's a bit soon for spoilers and I'm too lazy to spoiler-cut. I should also warn that I have never read the original comic, so I can't judge it on merit as an adaptation.

But! It had Nicolas Cage. His head caught fire. He's on a motorcycle. It was awesome.

I was really impressed by the Roxanne character. She was smarter than the average superhero-movie-love interest, and she seemed to have a clear, decisive grasp on what she wanted during the movie. The relationship felt more adult to me than most superhero-type relationships. There seemed to be a decided lack of melodrama to their interaction in general. I liked it.

And she wields a mean shotgun.

Also, in green, she WOULD make a freaking fantastic She-Hulk.

Nicolas Cage tends to be give or take for me as an actor, but he seemed to be having a blast with the role. And the fun was contagious.

I always did like spaghetti westerns.

The casting was good in general. Though honestly they couldn't have picked a guy that looked LESS like Nicolas Cage to be young!Johnny if they tried.

So in summation: utter cheese, campy, really dumb and pretty damned awesome. I'd go again. :-)

6 Comments:

  • At February 17, 2007 9:35 AM, Blogger SallyP said…

    Sometimes all you want is something ridiculously over the top and cheesy. So I'll be going to it too.

     
  • At February 17, 2007 12:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I think the thing with this film was that they could have easily tried to take itself too seriously with its deal-with-the-devil origin and the spirit of vengeance stuff and all. But, thankfully, they didn't take themselves too seriously and just tried to make a fun comic book movie. And, with some of the staging of the shots, it did have a comic book look. In fact, that's what I think Ang Lee was trying to go for with The Hulk...but, he, unfortunately, took that property too seriously and it just all looked forced.

     
  • At February 17, 2007 5:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm not a big fan of Nicolas Cage but from what I have seen from the preview, it seems like a cool movie. I'll probably wait until it's available on video though...

     
  • At February 18, 2007 1:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    On the other hand, the girl who played young Roxanne easily looked like she could have grown up into Eva Mendez.

     
  • At February 18, 2007 10:08 PM, Blogger Romanticide said…

    but the young Jhonny looked more like he is going to grow up to be Tom Cruise (Not that I actually mind =)

    But "San Venganza"? O.o You name highwahy curves "Salsipuedes"(Getoutifyoucan) because they are so damn dangerous if you make a mistake turning them but... Would you actually name "Saint Vengeance" the town you are going to live in? O.o

     
  • At February 20, 2007 3:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Peter Fonda as the the Devil andSam Eliot as Carter SLade:) Nothing more (but so much could be) said.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home