Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

My Interlude:

Sometime relatively recently, I was working in the toy store and I got to talking with the vendor and a customer about upcoming Spiderman movie toys. Eventually the vendor had to leave to actually do her job, but the customer and I started talking. (I could do this because it was a slow day and the managers like us to "develop rapports" with the vendors and customers.)

It was interesting because despite what you see in Shortpacked I don't actually see adult collector-type customers come in very often. I know they come in, of course, but I'm usually too busy or not scheduled at the right time to really talk to them. This guy was only a few years older than me and not in any particular hurry so it was a good opportunity.

It was a nice conversation, fun. Wandered back and forth through different comics and characters, action figures and the like. Definitely a good way to kill an otherwise boring half-an-hour. He was friendly and polite. I had fun. In the process of the conversation however, he insulted Banshee (I have a bizarre unexplained fondness for poor Sean), mocked Ghost Rider, and proclaimed seriously that Nightwing is the greatest character in the DCU.

I will probably never see the guy again. And even if I do, the odds of me actually recognizing him given my abject lack of attention span and really poor memory for faces, are pretty negligible.

Even so, I realized. I found my nemesis. He is out there. And one day we may have to fight to the death. Or go for hamburgers.

4 Comments:

  • At April 11, 2007 8:28 AM, Blogger Tom Bondurant said…

    Kinda sounds to me like he was trying to pick you up. You might not recognize him again, but he may well be on the lookout for you.

    Or, you know, I could just be jumping to wild conclusions based on my own pathetic dating experiences. :)

     
  • At April 11, 2007 9:32 AM, Blogger Ragtime said…

    Nightwing? Really?

    Was there any intelligible defense of the claim, or was it just asserted? Because Nightwing certainly has many good qualities, but I can't think of a single scale of comparison that would put him on the top of any list.

    I had a similar conversation once with a guy who insisted that George was the "Greatest Beatle". I generally try to respect other people's reasoned opinions, but there are some positions that I find so far beyond the pale that I question the limits of reasonable discourse.

     
  • At April 11, 2007 10:07 AM, Blogger Rob S. said…

    Fight to the death... with hamburgers as weapons!

     
  • At April 11, 2007 10:56 AM, Blogger SallyP said…

    But...but George WAS the greatest Beatle!

    Seriously, you probably made this guy's day. But if he doesn't like Green Lanterns, you'd better dump him. Just sayin'.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home