Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

My Unconventional Dream Couple:

I was rereading Checkmate and remembered something that I've thought frequently but somehow never got around to blogging (I hope, it's pretty damn inevitable that I'm gonna end up repeating myself eventually on here...if I haven't already).

I'd pay a lot of money, a LOT, to see Alan Scott hook up with Amanda Waller.

What?

I know Alan's married, but honestly, Molly's always been something of a non-entity to me. The only thing I remember her really making an impact for me in was when she sold her soul for youth in that Green Lantern Hero's Quest story. And that impression was: "Are you a fucking idiot?!"

One only has to look at Joan Garrick, how she manages to be a background/side character with a genuine presence, to realize how disappointing Molly is. I figure they should just ditch her. It's not like anyone would notice. :-) Oh, okay. She could get some sort of dignified exit.

I like the thought of Alan and Amanda because, well, they're probably the only two people in the DCU who could really match each other in terms of personality/will. While I love Mr. Terrific as the White King, I miss the power struggles between Alan and Amanda. His wider scope, global ideology versus her calculating loyalty. That whole "Are you questioning MY patriotism?" scene...

She'll call him on his old-fashioned sexism and arrogance. He'll match her machiavellian scheming. Neither will back down, and honestly, I've always thought that sort of force of will to make for really really hot romance when things finally get around to it. Their relationship would be messy, twisted and wrong and awesome, I think. The world would shake with their lovers' spats.

I've always thought that Waller should get to have more romantic entanglements too. She may not have most superheroines' conventional beauty, but she's an attractive woman nonetheless. Visually, she and Alan would be as striking in contrast as their ideologies. And it would make any crossovers with the Corps' Lanterns automatically rife with entertainment possibilities.

I'd read it at least. :-)

8 Comments:

  • At April 03, 2007 4:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Alan Scott is Married?!? How'd I miss that one in twenty years of comic reading? I guess you DO learn something new everyday.

    By the way, Alan+Amanda=Hot

     
  • At April 03, 2007 10:58 AM, Blogger SallyP said…

    Alan Scott and Amanda Waller? Are you a mad woman? I...I...my mind is officially boggled.

    As an alternative, how about this for a matchup, albeit a non-romantic one:

    Amanda Waller vs. Peggy Louise Gardner. A Clash Of Titans!

     
  • At April 03, 2007 11:14 AM, Blogger Sleestak said…

    I could totally see Waller slapping the crap out of the Star Heart.

     
  • At April 03, 2007 11:36 AM, Blogger Greg Sanders said…

    That would be awesome. Waller should definitely have more romantic entaglements.

    I personally lament the lack of Amanda Waller merchandise. She's my favorite DC characters and I'd definitely buy a model or something. (Assuming they don't radically thin her down or otherwise break character).

     
  • At April 03, 2007 12:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sorry Kalinara, Amanda Waller already IS married...

    TO AMERICA.

     
  • At April 03, 2007 12:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Gah! You're trying to give me nightmares aren't you? I actually don't mind Molly. I do have a bias though...she was pretty good back during the GA stories. And she was fun to read in the whole JSA mini (the 9-10 issue one...).

    The main problem with Molly vs Joan...as I see it...is that Waid really developed the character of Joan when he was writing the Flash. She was nothing more than a 'Molly' before then. Molly needs a Waid...maybe then we won't have to deal with the Waller/Scott fan fiction that is bound to rise out of this post...

     
  • At April 03, 2007 9:39 PM, Blogger R.Nav said…

    Only if there is a gratuitous love scene

     
  • At April 04, 2007 9:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I can totally see this as a "Mr.& Mrs. Smith" type situation: Trash half the world fighting, shackthe rest in passions throws.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home