Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Sunday, April 08, 2007

Truly Outrageous...in which I hate on Jem.

Yesterday, Ragnell was telling me how she found the pilot of Jem and the Holograms. It reminded me that, while I loved the show as a mini-kalinara, Jem is one cartoon that I regretfully admit I haven't been able to sit through as an adult. And I LIKE 80s music.

I think my biggest issue was in the entire premise. Okay, first. Why couldn't Jerrica just front a band as Jerrica? Was there some clause in her ownership of the company that I'm just not remembering? If so...why? Jerrica Benton inherited half of Starlight Music from her father, right? The same man who invented the holographic computer Synergy and set up that nifty little hideaway for them. When they first find Synergy, they find her in a hideaway with costumes and instruments and other nifty things.

So we're supposed to believe that the man who'd set all this up for his daughter would have some inheritance clause about her not being able to perform AND head up his company?

If someone who's watched the explanation episode more recently than *counts on fingers* 18 years ago can remember and clarify this for me, I'd appreciate it. :-)

I also don't quite understand why Synergy was necessary to begin with. Okay, say Jerrica DID have a clause where she couldn't perform and head the company. It's not like Jem's facial features were any different. And none of the other band members really looked any different. You'd think someone would have said "Wow, it's interesting that the holograms consist of a purple haired African American with the body of a supermodel, a blue haired Asian-American with the body of a supermodel, a younger red head and...that other girl that joined later. Isn't it funny that Jerrica Benton's foster sisters are a purple haired African American girl with the body of a supermodel, a blue haired Asian American girl with the body of a supermodel, and her younger sister is redhaired and in the band?"

Not to mention that their goal was to save the Starlight House, and all that.

I know that 80s cartoons are cheesy, but I always appreciated how in the case of He-Man for example, I totally understood why no one figured out his identity. (They may share the same height/weight/hair-style, but He-Man appeared to be very mediterranean to Adam's germanic coloring. That sort of thing is hard to fake. Heck, when his mom figured out, I distinctly remember there was something weird about the lights/colors of their location. And Cringer was distinctly smaller/younger looking than Battle-Cat.)

Jem...really didn't make sense considering that Jerrica was the ONLY one who was in disguise.

Also, can someone tell me why, in certain episodes, there'd be a frantic search for the star-earrings and she couldn't be Jem without them...why couldn't she just wear a wig?

For that matter, I remember one episode where she loses the earrings because she gets golden heart earrings as a gift and feels obligated to put them on.

Which okay. Fine. So why couldn't her holograms that defied any sort of plausible explanation anyway make those pink earrings look like gold hearts?

Also, don't get me started on the Rio/Jerrica relationship. He was a jerk, two-timing one for the other, and she was even worse because even though she knew he was getting close emotionally to her alter ego, she never could come out and TELL him she was Jem.

Yes, dumbass, he probably will be angry about it, and he has every right to be. You're lying to him. And the more you keep quiet about it, the more he's going to be angry. So either dump his ass or tell him the damn truth.

The music was cute though. And I find myself having this weird sort of fondness for Eric Raymond (eeevil manager of the Misfits) in my old age.

Odd.

15 Comments:

  • At April 08, 2007 3:02 AM, Blogger Ragnell said…

    I'm not sure we can be friends anymore.

     
  • At April 08, 2007 3:03 AM, Blogger kalinara said…

    We'll always have Green Lantern?

     
  • At April 08, 2007 3:47 AM, Blogger Dorian said…

    My sister liked "Jem" so I usually watched it with her. I must confess, though, that I always liked the Misfits more, and secretly harbored a desire that those stuck-up Holograms would get what for someday.

     
  • At April 08, 2007 4:49 AM, Blogger Flidget Jerome said…

    You can't hate on the show! The show had Stormer! How can you hate on Stormer?

     
  • At April 08, 2007 4:52 AM, Blogger kalinara said…

    I did like Stormer and most of the minor characters. I just hated Jem herself and the confusing premise. :-)

    Though Stormer could have been a bit less of a doormat. :-P

     
  • At April 08, 2007 8:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I like "Jem" the show but never Jem the character. I only like her as Jerrica, because there's times she reminds me of my mother. But the Holograms, because they're the good guys, are all pretty flat & even snobby at times. Only ones I really liked a lot were Kimber (cuz she could be the stupid kid) and Raya (because she was a source of untapped potential). But the Jem-end of "Jem" was painfully stupid & even irritating at times.

    The whole forced-diversity thing was actually mentioned by the head writer, Christy Marx. Originally, she wanted to add a non-white Misfit, and she was expressly told not to because minorities could only be shown as good guys. This really bugged her, since she found it disrespectful to basic human nature (that, and you realize that she never really saw the "bad guys" as all that bad, just messed up).

    The Misfits are well-developed, allowed to have facets, and have better songs that are confident, in minor key, & not preachy. So they're made of pure awesomeness. It's best to do what I do - jump around and watch the Misfit-y episodes.

     
  • At April 08, 2007 6:59 PM, Blogger SallyP said…

    Apparently you have something in common with Jillian/Cowgirl over in Green Lantern. I did snicker over the "Jem" reference to Star Sapphire.

    Geoff Johns is SUCH a geek.

     
  • At April 08, 2007 7:52 PM, Blogger Bill D. said…

    I always enjoyed how all the little videos would have the little MTV-style credits in the corner, even if said video happened to occur in the midst of that particular day's plot. It's like on shows like The Partridge Family and The Brady Bunch when the song allegedly being sung live fades out at the end... it makes no sense whatsoever, but it makes me happy somehow.

     
  • At April 08, 2007 11:38 PM, Blogger R.Nav said…

    I never liked Jem & The Holograms, because I thought the Misfits were way cooler. I also thought a Holographic costume was a pretty stupid idea. My Holographic rock bad would have been WAY COOLER let me tell you. Cooler than the Misfits even.

    To tell you the truth, I totally forgot about Jem & The Holograms until 15 years or so later I see a Japanese animated movie where the antagonist is a Holographic idol singer and my brain exploded with Jem flashbacks.

    Sunergy totally needed to be a sociopath. That woudl have been awesome.

     
  • At April 09, 2007 1:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ARGH. I couldn't freaking STAND Rio, even back in the day. He really was a fucknut.

    Heh, given that you like Guy, Hal and fah-reakin'-Hank-Pym, I'm surprised that you aren't a bit partial to a jerkface like Rio. XD

    You're right that the vast majority of the synergy/earring business was silly. It was sparkly and fun, though, and as a mini-Indicia, I was happy enough with the fun!sparkly!kewl aspect of it.

    I've never tried watching the series as an adult, though.. and I probably shouldn't. XD

     
  • At April 09, 2007 1:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh, and re: the Misfits having better songs.

    HELL YES. I still have a soft spot for 'winning is everything' XD

     
  • At April 09, 2007 4:19 AM, Blogger kalinara said…

    Well, I do hold her more to blame for the fiasco that is their relationship than him. :-)

    He's a fucknut, but she's the one leading him in freakin' circles. :-)

    And the Misfit songs were a blast! They had better stage makeup too!

     
  • At April 09, 2007 10:59 AM, Blogger Flidget Jerome said…

    I would like to report, by the way, that Jem is one of those shows that is just as awesome to watch as an adult as when you were a kid.

     
  • At April 12, 2007 1:15 AM, Blogger JP said…

    My younger sister loved this show, and used to make me tape the songs off the TV for her! She had a TDK D 90 little tape with a cover she'd drawn herself and everything. I found a lot of the same problems with the show, but heh, great memories!

     
  • At July 23, 2013 10:58 AM, Anonymous Jemistoofarfetched said…

    I've seen the show as a kid and an adult, and the whole idea of Jerrica turning herself into this (how do I put it nicely...)phony celebrity that nobody knows anything about aside from her hair, music, singing and charity work is just far fetched. As an adult I often thought why couldn't she just be HERSELF instead of misleading her boyfriend, the public and THE WORLD that she is someone who's not even a real person? Jerrica....you got some 'splaining to do....

     

Post a Comment

<< Home