Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Friday, May 18, 2007

On All-Star Batman?

Hippokrene's got a fantastic post up explaining the sheer amusement factor of a certain Frank Miller comic.

Hippokrene's argument really reminds me of the appealing aspects of a multiverse: the funhouse mirrors to our characters.

So of course, in the replies, I post my idea of the "Miller-verse funhouse mirror" of Hal Jordan:

For example, looking at Hal, he seems so normal even in the issues. But, since it's the Miller-verse, you know he must go home to three underaged prostitutes, all male, a fifteen year old african american, a thirteen year old redhead and a nine year old black-haired boy with a penchant for killing and eating his female clients.

Mostly because Alexandra DeWitt in the fridge becomes really REALLY funny to me this way.

Besides, if Batman gets to kidnap some poor acrobatic orphan and make him eat rats in the Batcave, Hal Jordan can have a "Green Lantern Corps" made up of his little beringed prostitute friends.

The potential for costumes ALONE...dear lord.

Actually though, the really interesting (read: scary, mind-boggling and crazy making) portrayal would be that of the JSA...

God in heaven, picture them for a second. Jay. Alan. Wildcat. Sandy. KARA...

Heheheh. Miller-verse Power Girl. What a horrible, revolting, absolutely delightful mental image.

Thank you, Mr. Miller. Your work really doesn't tend toward my tastes, but the comics world and the landscape of my twisted imagination are richer for your presence. :-)

9 Comments:

  • At May 18, 2007 12:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ASBaRtBW #5 is easily the best comic to hit this week, if not this entire month.

    I say this with no hint of irony or guile. No joke.

    It is good comics and infectiously energetic/happy/out there. I realize that a lot of people have problems with it, but it is one of my most favorite series to read. You can tell that both creators are just going all out and having fun with it.

    I mean, when a comic makes me put it down from laughing so hard, I consider that a success!

    For all the dark and dour stuff DC has done over the past two or three years, ASBAR is like the happy, but completely demented, answer to it. Even the angst is a sham, put upon by a Batman who thinks it makes him sound awesome.

    The trick, of course, is that it does!

    (I could talk about this comic all day!)

     
  • At May 18, 2007 3:55 AM, Blogger kalinara said…

    Heh, I have to admit, it's really REALLY not to my taste. :-)

    The sheer bizarre elements though do make me laugh.

     
  • At May 18, 2007 10:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This book is completely terrible, but at the same time strangely very awesome. I looked through it at my LCS and laughed out loud multiple times. I don't know which part is my favorite: Batman saying "I love being the goddamn Batman!" and "Every inch of me feels alive." or Wonder Woman's "I hate you! Give me a sloppy tongue kiss!" moment. :D

    Now, though, you've got me thinking about Hal's dirty "Red Lantern Corps" and Miller!JSA. Thanks a lot! Although Millerverse Power Girl...would be a thing of horrible beauty. Dear Lord, I can see forever! It's...full of stars.

     
  • At May 18, 2007 10:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well...Power Girl would be a whore. In stilletos.

     
  • At May 18, 2007 10:39 AM, Blogger Rob S. said…

    Oh, hell -- just WHERE do the All-Star GLC wear those rings?

    (shudder)

     
  • At May 18, 2007 10:47 AM, Blogger SallyP said…

    Oh my dear, you are being so very very bad. And yet you are making my brain go to such terrible, naughty places.

    A Milleresque JSA? When would they ever have time for crime fighting? And the thought of Hal's little harem makes me giggle nervously. Although we all know that Kyle looks great in a collar.

     
  • At May 18, 2007 1:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    See though Thom, Wonder Woman took that already, and added an extra layer of dripping S&M-like disgust. Clearly Power Girl must raise the bar to rise to the challenge. I can just imagine Miller writing her as eternally pissed-off (of course) and routinely killing men by crushing their heads like bloody eggs inbetween her giant Kryptonian kung-fu boobs while going on a long soliliquy to herself about how all men are dirty perverts who never stop looking at said boobs.

    What!? I told you my brain was broken by this!

     
  • At May 18, 2007 1:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You've done horrible things to my imagination.

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/39534016@N00/503543583/

     
  • At May 18, 2007 9:29 PM, Blogger Zaratustra said…

    So you think there's an Earth-Miller out there?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home