Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Sunday, May 06, 2007

Quick Random Reactions to Spiderman 3 (Very mild/indistinct spoilers)

- You know, that trailer really makes me want to see the new Fantastic Four movie. Even if I HATE the Silver Surfer.
--This may be because Ioan Gruffudd is really f'in pretty.
---What, I'm shallow.

-Dude, apparently if you give Topher Grace a leather jacket and a hideously bad dye job, I will suddenly find him hot. What the hell is up with that?

-Tobey Maguire does a good job as always, but they really shouldn't have filmed so many closeups from below. It's not a flattering shot, makes him look a bit puffy.
--And why did Kirsten Dunst's hair look so dank and drab? I get that she's downtrodden, but Mary Jane should never be without vibrant and well-coiffed locks.

-Initially I thought Gwen Stacy looked very plain, but she really seemed to blossom as the movie went on.

-Mary Jane annoyed me for most of the movie. The cinderblock thing totally made up for that though. Total lead pipe moment.

-This movie was really more of a Harry/Peter twisted love story than a Peter/Mary Jane one, I think. Someone let the slashers write this one.

-Ted Raimi looks exactly the same as he has for the past fifteen years. Creepy.

-Sandman was strangely awesome. I love Thomas Haden Church, he's impossible to make completely unsympathetic. Even if his motivation was a bit much for me.
--I realized my DC bias was showing when I found myself snickering at the fact that the guy's name was "Flint". MY Sandman's name is Sand, so I really have no place to mock.
---Bias or no, Sand would have kicked more ass.

-Venom-influenced Peter Parker was even more of a tool than regular Peter Parker. The WTF looks were pretty priceless though.

-Plainclothes fighting is awesome. But you'd think Peter might have put the damn ring on a string...it's not like he could make them or anything...

-I was surprised at how not-bloated the story seemed, even with three villains. The end however really seemed incomplete. Maybe i just wanted groveling.

All in all, decent movie. Fun. Not really good for deep thinking, but pretty exciting. And Harry Osborn has pretty cheekbones. I'd recommend it.

18 Comments:

  • At May 06, 2007 2:55 AM, Blogger Ragnell said…

    So, like Dick Clark and Goldie Hawn, Ted Raimi is a Mummy.

     
  • At May 06, 2007 2:57 AM, Blogger kalinara said…

    Essentially, made his pilgramage and everything.

    God I play too much White Wolf.

     
  • At May 06, 2007 3:35 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    The spontaniosly occuring emo hair is a thing of comic brilliance

    and Stan Lee's line was so cheesy the only thing I could do was start an applause

     
  • At May 06, 2007 9:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    -Ted Raimi looks exactly the same as he has for the past fifteen years. Creepy.

    But that's what makes Ted awesome! He's an amazing unchanging anomaly. (That I've had a crush on since high school.)

     
  • At May 06, 2007 10:50 AM, Blogger Miriam said…

    The big reason that I saw the first FF movie (and bought the DVD!) was the hawtness of Ioan. Go check out A&E's Hornblower saga for the hawtness plus the leadership qualities minus the whatever-it-was that made FF a summer flick and nothing more.

    The man managed to make Century City shine in every scene he was in, but couldn't act his way out of a paper bag in FF? Le sigh.

    I haven't seen S3 yet, so I can't really comment there.

     
  • At May 06, 2007 11:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Question...is Sand in the JSA still called Sand, or is he going by Sandman?

    I figured the most recent issue would clear that up, but when they did a group shot (with logos of each of the characters), they oddly left off a logo for him.

     
  • At May 06, 2007 12:15 PM, Blogger David C said…

    I wonder if DC and Marvel are having a bit of a trademark wrangle over "Sandman," particularly with the movie being so prominent?

    It might be that, especially with the JSA character now having powers rather similar to Marvel's, DC was urged to avoid asserting a trademark (via logo) to their Sandman, or just wanted to avoid poking the lion?

     
  • At May 06, 2007 12:37 PM, Blogger SallyP said…

    Haven't seen it yet, but is Bruce Campbell in it?

    And yes, Ioan Gryffud is soooo pretty. I sure do wish they'd make another Hornblower movie. He's just the right age for "Beat to Quarters". *sigh*

     
  • At May 06, 2007 2:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Someone recommended hornblower to Kalinara *snicker* been there ogled that.

     
  • At May 06, 2007 5:51 PM, Blogger kalinara said…

    Brian: He's been referred to as Sandman both in 52 (i.e. "Sandman's investigating this") and JSA #1, as I recall.

    He may not have a logo simply because he's never really had his own comic.

    Complicating things as well is the Vertigo Sandman, the Marvel Sandman, et cetera. Which is an annoying shame for me, because I want him to have a comic. :-)

     
  • At May 06, 2007 5:51 PM, Blogger kalinara said…

    oh and Bruce Campbell IS in it. Very funny too.

     
  • At May 07, 2007 2:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Why don't you like Surfer?

     
  • At May 07, 2007 2:23 AM, Blogger kalinara said…

    Like Nightwing, he annoys me without any fathomable reason.

    It's probably the angst. and the surf board.

     
  • At May 07, 2007 5:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Brian: He's been referred to as Sandman both in 52 (i.e. "Sandman's investigating this") and JSA #1, as I recall.

    Gracias. I was PRETTY sure that I had heard SOMEone refer to him as Sandman in the comic, but I couldn't recall offhand, so I figured the latest issue (with him on the cover and all :)) would solve it, but it did not!

    So thanks for clearing it up!

     
  • At May 07, 2007 7:44 AM, Blogger D.Bishop (aka Mr. Allison Blaire) said…

    I'm peeved there wasnt a swing session at the end. shoot that was my favorite in the first one. its like ending Batman without him stand on a high peak with the cape flapping

     
  • At May 07, 2007 1:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Similaritie between Harry Osborn & Hal Jordan
    1. Gtting hit in the Head A LOT.
    2. Flyies intentionally without obvious safety measure on(helmet mask/Power Ring) respectively.
    3. Has multiple personality disorder betwen Good/Evil
    4. Asumes dominant position in scenes with homosexual undertoness, see "Fligt & end battl S3 Btw kal do you think the rescue took so longbecause the guys were "finishing something" on the glidr. ;)
    5. both wear gren
    6. Both look great wearing NO shirt, Beefcake Ms.?:)

    Just thought I'd mention it.;)

    Also DO NOT get JJ's electrician! I almost broke my ribbs laughing and I'd seen it before on friday, Hell I could burst out laughing now! :)

     
  • At May 07, 2007 2:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sorry for typos. Grrr:(

     
  • At May 07, 2007 11:44 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    "It's probably the angst. and the surf board."

    This is completly justifyable as the character *IS* angst
    but the board, now that is just bitchin'

     

Post a Comment

<< Home