Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Super-News!

Okay, this makes me impossibly enthusiastic. The current Kara Zor-El has definitely been growing on me and it really looks like Mr. Bedard will be taking her more in the direction I was really hoping they'd go toward.

Nothing against Mr. Kelly of course, but the Supergirl Bedard describes is the one I really really want to see. More "teen of steel" less "scary crystal spikes" please!

And the following quotes make me smile:

BEDARD: One nice thing is that I am relatively unburdened by knowledge of previous Supergirls. Yeah, I read some of their previous appearances, but I never did figure out what the deal was with the girl/matrix/angel thing or anything like that. I'm just sticking to the basics: Kara is from Krypton, she's insanely powerful, but she wants to be good. I also happen to think she needs to eat a sandwich and cover up a bit, but then I'm a father.


and

BEDARD: Ah, as you saw in my previous answer, I'm not hung up on that stuff. I have basic expectations about what's appropriate for a character with the "S" on her chest. I don't think that's a limitation -- it points the way toward the proper area in which to search for fresh material. She's not a dark avenger or Goth punk. She's a strange visitor from another planet who should embody all that's best in humanity and in America. That's right, America. The land of immigrants who make good.


This is making me excited. This makes me think we might finally have some Supergirl stories really suited toward a younger female audience. (Nothing against Kelly's, but the target audience there was clearly a different demographic.)

And I love the concept sketches. Kara really looks like a teenager there. And I LOVE the way the cape is drawn. Awesome!

13 Comments:

  • At May 30, 2007 9:03 AM, Blogger Amy Reads said…

    Hi Kali,
    I *love* her stockiness, her big thighs and solidity. Mr. Reads threw this my way this morning so I could eventually blog about it (I'm drowning in beginning-of-term work!), and something he said really stuck with me. She looks like a *girl*, has that weird *girl* body shape. Not a woman. A Girl.

    And it's really true. She looks like a teenager: growing into herself, a little stocky, a little over-confident, and definitely expressive. There's one image in which she's scrunching up her face, and I just Fell In Love. Also, the images of her sitting on the floor with her cape slung over her leg--that's how girls, Real Girls, sit, particularly ones comfortable in their own skin.

    And that's just gushing over the *art*! I can't even begin to express my utter hope for Mr. Bedard!

    In this Supergirl, I see everything that is Best and Bright about young womanhood.

    I am Thrilled Beyond Measure.
    Ciao,
    Amy

     
  • At May 30, 2007 9:39 AM, Blogger SallyP said…

    Well...I am just flabberghasted. A Supergirl who actually looks like a teenager? Someone with a real torso?

    The art is quite amazing, I love all the folds in the clothing and her expressions.

    I am...intrigued!

     
  • At May 30, 2007 10:29 AM, Blogger Ununnilium said…

    Oooh, neat. The only problem is, I really don't like Tony Bedard's writing. Still, every writer seems to have one good run in them - perhaps this is his.

     
  • At May 30, 2007 10:31 AM, Blogger Ununnilium said…

    (Also? The art looks really, really good.)

     
  • At May 30, 2007 4:11 PM, Blogger Centurion said…

    I knew I was holding out on this title for a good reason. Finally I have it, and don't feel odd dropping it. Shame I have to wait several months till Supergirl redeems itself as a comic...

     
  • At May 30, 2007 4:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "(Nothing against Kelly's, but the target audience there was clearly a different demographic.)"

    Would that be the "Hopelessly convoluted, thematically obtuse, marginally Manga" demographic?

    Kalinara, as usual, you're too kind. ;)

    I tolerated Kelly's bizarre tangeants when he was writing Action Comics a number of years ago, and occasional "check-ins" with what he was up to on Supergirl told me that he was still up to his overworked and overwrought ways.

    I read Bedard's quotes, and was absolutely thrilled. I admittedly don't know much about the man and his previous stuff, but with that much raw common sense, he sounds like a breath of fresh air.

    Thanks for sticking up for the daughters out here! I have a 16 year-old daughter, and it's revolting to see how teenaged girls are portrayed (personality-wise and visually) in so many comics.

    The visuals of Supergirl look fantastic. Could that be a realistic-looking human female? Yes, apparently it is.

    About time. It would be interesting to find out the "behind the scenes" situation that precipitated this incredibly drastic change in direction. Does anyone have any insights or, as usual, is DC's gossip pipeline as dry as a bone? Whatever the case, it's good to see that the boneheaded Big Two can occasionally get something right...which is especially nice considering the rough couple of weeks we've experienced in the Clueless Marketing Moves department (ala MJ and the Heroes for Hentai).

     
  • At May 30, 2007 5:05 PM, Blogger Iko of the Shadows said…

    Oh, boy. Another outsider in love with America.

     
  • At May 30, 2007 6:04 PM, Blogger Diamondrock said…

    What's wrong with being an outsider in love with America? Lots to love about America... Like hot dogs!

     
  • At May 30, 2007 7:37 PM, Blogger R.Nav said…

    OMFG! Shorts! She's wearing shorts under her skirt!

    That's awesome! Because really. I get the fact people want her in a skirt, so putting some shorts under them is a great way to keep the goodies covered while in flight.

     
  • At May 31, 2007 12:07 AM, Blogger Ami Angelwings said…

    I can't wait for this Supergirl!

    Completely can't :D

    I'm so happy they've finally got rid of Churchill and now Kelly :D

    FINALLY

    How long did Supergirl had to suffer for under those 2? :(

     
  • At May 31, 2007 12:10 AM, Blogger Ami Angelwings said…

    Oh and Jeph Loeb wasn't just a father when he created her (and got Turner to draw her >.>) he said he was thinking of his daughter when he made her and she's based on her.

    >.>;;;

    And Loeb is totally okay with seeing his daughter as a half naked smex object? :O

    That's ALWAYS creeped me out >.<;;

     
  • At May 31, 2007 8:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    So am I the only one whose noticed the resemblance between the new Supergirl sketches and Hayden Panettiere?

     
  • At May 31, 2007 11:25 PM, Blogger Iko of the Shadows said…

    A smex object? What a great word. "I'm gonna smex you up motherf--ker!"

    However, back to America: A land so fantastically wonderful that every alien or non-regular human immediately adopts the mores, clothing, and language of America. Heck, some of them dress in American flags despite America having bombed their country into oblivion a few times.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home