Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Sunday, June 03, 2007

It Takes Two?

I have a friend that's so afraid of clowns, that every time there's a storyline with a clown, good or evil, (usually evil), she'll watch or read enraptured, hating every minute but unable to put it down.

It's really odd. I think everyone has something like that though. Some kind of storyline or situational quirk that really gets to you, for whatever reason.

Mine is the evil clone storylines.

I HATE evil clone storylines. I hate how no one ever seems to be able to tell the evil clone from the good one until long after the clone would have given itself away to anyone paying a half bit of attention. I hate how invariably the evil clone causes a whole mess of trouble and then dies/gets captured leaving the poor original person to deal with it. I just hate it.

And every time I watch/read one I'm on the edge of my seat.

I don't get it really. I HATE those stories. I groan whenever I hear of one. I have never actively sought an "evil clone" story. But whenever I encounter one I simply can't change the station. I'm hooked. I keep watching, breathlessly, going "Oh god, they're going to figure it out, right?! He/she's not going to ruin everything, right?! Oh no!!!"

It's really odd.

I dunno, maybe it resonates with a deep seated fear of being unmemorable and replaceable, or being blamed for something I'm innocent of. You honestly got me. As far as I know, I'm not consciously afraid of any of those things.

(I also really like "good clone" stories. Especially ones where the clone/robot/duplicate thinks they're the original. I always get attached and feel bad when they die/go away. It's not their fault they're not the genuine article. I'm a sap.)

I don't know what it is, but "evil clone" stories get me every time. Creepy!

8 Comments:

  • At June 03, 2007 7:44 AM, Blogger Ami Angelwings said…

    :O

    I hate both clowns and clones! XD

    I also hate the "dark side" stories where something turns the good guy ebil for an episode :\ Mostly cuz if it's a girl that gets turned she goes leather and slutty >.>;;

    And also that for some reason all the bad behaviour gets forgotten at the end, sometimes without needing to be explained :O

    Like, when Clark turned evil for like the 50th time on Smallville and kidnapped Lana and beat up Lex XD As far as everybody knows Clark was acting on his own impulses since they can't know about Red K or that he's kryptonian right? :\

    But it seems to be totally forgotten and no charges are pressed. >.>;;

    Clones are annoying too :( I rly hate whenever ppl just dun figure out the evil clone, or the mind switch or nething else :\

     
  • At June 03, 2007 12:31 PM, Blogger SallyP said…

    Well THIS is a coincidence. I was just going through all of my old Guy Gardner:Warriors, and of course, there is the Chuck Dixon story with Guy's evil clone.

    I LOVE that story!

    I am assuming that Joe(clone Guy) is still lurking somewhere. I think that the last I can remember him showing up was when Guy beat the crap out of him, Sledge, Dementor and the pirate guy. But I'm sure that there are other stories out there.

    Does Evil Clone fall into the same category as Evil Twins? Or, in the case of Jean Grey, Madeline Pryor and Rachel Summers, Evil Triplets?

     
  • At June 03, 2007 1:10 PM, Blogger Marc Burkhardt said…

    I'm with you on the Evil Clone stuff. The stories are never any good, but I get caught up in it every time.

    I even did an Evil Twin week on my blog, as well as an epic post on Evil Robot Wonder Woman.

    Probably should do it again sometime

     
  • At June 03, 2007 2:34 PM, Blogger kalinara said…

    I actually did like Guy's evil clone story. It actually made sense that no one figured it out right away.

    I'm not sure "hate" is the right word. Like I said, I don't seek out clone stories, but I'm hooked every time. Not sure what that actually qualifies as. :-P

     
  • At June 03, 2007 9:12 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Sally, I think Joe turned up in birds of prey when Dixon was writing

     
  • At June 04, 2007 1:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You need to read Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan series. Here, the protagonist
    - pretends to be his own clone
    - finds out he has a clone, created by an enemy
    - the clone rebels
    - the clone is adopted by his parents.

    Not to mention both the protagonist and the clone have a multiple personality issue.

     
  • At June 04, 2007 1:57 PM, Blogger Seth T. Hahne said…

    Did you love-love-LOVE The City of Lost Children? While the clone-story is somewhat ancillary to the lost-children aspect of the story, it's still one of my favourite parts of the film.

     
  • At June 05, 2007 12:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I don't know if this fits, but zombies suck me right into a story. I think the zombie story is still shambling along after its last original thought has been expressed, but they still scare me. To this day, I still have nasty zombie nightmares where I am torn apart and eaten alive. And don't get me started on how I was during Universal Studios' Halloween Horror Night, when the theme park was full of zombies. I almost had a bloody nervous breakdown, and my friends tease me to this day.

    Zombies are horribly cliche, but they get me every single time. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home