Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Random Thoughts About Recent (And Not So Recent) Comics...

I haven't done one of these in a while, so it seems like fun!

-I'm actually enjoying Countdown right now. But I really kind of hope something big happens soon. I'm okay with a slow start, and the forerunner was kind of exciting, but I'm not going to be patient forever.
--Piper is hot though. I never noticed before.

-I really really really want Sinestro Corps yesterday. Mostly so I can know if I need to rant tremendously.

-It's funny how I like the Outsiders a lot more in Checkmate than I do in their own book.
--I even liked Dick Grayson, when he was in the cell and listening to his teammate being tortured, telling him to scream if that's what they want. Also when they threw Boomerang into the cell...
---I guess I tend to like Dick more when he's worrying about others as opposed to angsting his ass off.
--Still. I actually liked DICK GRAYSON.
-I need a shower.

-Egg Fu is creepy. Really creepy.
--As is Sasha's arm in the tank. "Child of Brother I" is kind of nifty. Maybe.
---I'm still not as enamored with the character as Greg Rucka seems to be though.
--At least not when she's not doing Mr. Terrific. Because: genius, rich, handsome, nice, and much less issues than Batman. Michael Holt is a CATCH.

-I'm STILL thrilled about Wally being back. And the hugs made me smile. I didn't know how much I missed him.
--Crap, I'm gonna have to read Justice League now that he's in it.
---The issue still kinda sucked though.
--Still. Hugs. Shut up.

-Been reading some older Flash issues. Diamondrock says there's a lot of ass shots. I'm not really the target audience for that, but I have started to notice that Wally West seems to get tied up by female supervillains with nefarious purposes a lot.
--A LOT.
---This actually makes that Vagina Dentata cover even funnier to me.

-Yes, I'm amused as hell by that cover and yet turned off by the Heroes For Hire one. I'm cheerfully hypocritical. And I find Vagina Dentata really fucking funny. :-)

-Linda totally ties Wally up at home. Kinky.

-I hope Geo-Force stays in the JLA when Meltzer leaves. Not because I care anything about Geo-Force, himself. But I'm liking his weird interaction with Sand.
--Sand needs friends outside the JSA damnit. And cameos in other books.
---I wonder if the more iconic nature of the hat-gas-mask-coat costume will mean he'll get more guest spots? That'd kick ass.
--I'd settle for more speaking lines. And a mask less scene because dude. I want my eye-candy!

-I didn't hate the issue where Bart died.
--I think I should be sadder though. I actually liked him as Kid Flash.
---But not that much. Oh well.
---At least he went out fighting.
--Jay must be devastated.
-Wally's going to take it badly too. I can't wait for All-Flash.

-After reading Ignition, I'm wondering when exactly Wally unmasked for Kyle. As Kyle was off planet that whole time, but seemed to know him fine in IDC. How about revisiting their friendship a bit? I liked it.

-I hunted down a comic based on Sally's recommendation.
--I shouldn't do that. Ow. I might have sniffled a little.
---Brain-damaged/crazy Guy always gets me. It's the stupid Flowers For Algernon thing. Damned movie gave me nightmares.

-The more I see of the Iron Man photos and such, the less I want to see it. It just looks dumb.
--And this is someone who LIKED Ghost Rider. And Fantastic Four. So that's saying something.
---Might also be because Tony's so damn cartoonishly "bad guy" in the comics.
--If he's not a skrull, there's a problem.

-I wish I could get into She-Hulk again. I'm not sure why, my interest just waned. I'll probably give it a shot when Peter David comes on though. I'm iffy on him though. Sometimes I like his work, other times the "Davidisms" are a little much for me. On the other hand, She-Hulk's rather tongue in cheek nature is probably a good fit.

-Bucky/Black Widow are a hot couple.
--Hey, does this mean he coulda got dosed with the same unaging crap that she did? Because that could be useful...
---I like Bucky. He's pragmatic and he punches things. I enjoy that sort...

-I'm thinking of writing up my theory on how dinosaurs and robots represent mankind's fear of a primordial atavistic past and the unknowns of the future. But that would probably be boring.
--Also, I'm not sure where giant talking apes fit in.
---I'll figure it out.

7 Comments:

  • At June 27, 2007 9:53 AM, Blogger SallyP said…

    I've never even read Outsiders, until the Checkmate crossover, but I find that I do enjoy Boomer for smoe reason. And yes, Nightwing being competent and compassionate is a nice thing.

    Don't worry about JLA, because isn't Dwayne McDuffie supposed to be taking over for Meltzer? He's an awfully good writer.

    I swear that I have a TPG somewhere that shows all the JLA'ers unmasking and introducing themselves, and Wally and Kyle are both there, but which one it is, escapes me for the moment.

    When I found that old Justice League Europe/International with Guy as the regular Green Lantern, and Hal as a car mechanic, I thought of you immediately. AND of the "Flowers for Algernon" theme, which Gerard Jones REALLY goes for. Guy KNEW he was screwed, and went ahead and did it anyway. *sniff*

    Bucky and the Black Widow surprised me for a minute, and then I realized that of course it made sense. Then I started wondering why she never told Cap, and realized that she probably didn't know that Bucky and the Winter Soldier were one and the same. Of course her backstory has been reconned so many times by now, that I've forgotten how it all goes anyway.

    It's Wednesday! Sinestro Corps is coming!

     
  • At June 27, 2007 10:00 AM, Blogger Rich said…

    Pretty sure that unmasking took place around JLA #50ish at the start of Mark Waid's run- the storyline where they were all split in two?

     
  • At June 27, 2007 10:04 AM, Blogger kalinara said…

    They did unmask in that story line.

    Ignition is a Flash storyline that takes place later (Ollie is in the Justice League at this point, it's not too long before IDC. Issue 200 or 201, I think).

    Basically after the twins were tragically miscarried, Hal as the Spectre does a spell that basically wipes Wally's identity as the Flash from the whole world's memories...including Wally's. Everyone remembered the Flash but not who he was.

    There was a trigger though, if he put on his mask and/or took it off in front of someone, they'd remember everything. At the end of the story, he's running around to unmask to all the superhero friends. But Kyle's off planet at this time, so we don't see him unmask to him.

    Presumably he does, as Kyle seems to have no trouble remembering/recognizing him in IDC which isn't that long after.

     
  • At June 27, 2007 3:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ummm how do talking apes fit in? Pretty obviously, I would think. Past, future, stunted evolution or ancestoral ambivilence...

     
  • At June 27, 2007 11:14 PM, Blogger Aero! said…

    Woohoo - I'm not the only person somewhat enjoying Countdown. I haven't really gotten very into much outside the Piper/Trickster story and my fanboyish enjoyment of Fourth World.

     
  • At June 30, 2007 3:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    First, I'd love to hear about the dinosaurs and robots. Not boring. Intriguing!
    Next, I'm loving the Outsiders in Checkmate, too, although I'm missing an issue somewhere between the two. But Dick and Boomer . . . unnervingly hot, in spite of being weird?!.
    Finally, so that I'm less of a random stranger, I have an account over at livejournal . . . still a blogging rookie. Thanks for all the good reading . . . I shall continue to spy on you at intervals.

     
  • At June 01, 2012 1:53 PM, Anonymous sports handicapping services said…

    I go through half the story, I like

     

Post a Comment

<< Home