Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Saturday, July 14, 2007

Question!

Okay, I've made my displeasure over Batman taking over the Outsiders known before, so I'm not going to harp on that. Besides, considering that Katana, Metamorpho and Anissa's dad all served on the original team, I guess it's not terribly surprising that they'd accept him. (Grace or Owen though seem like more of a stretch) I'm still annoyed that Dick didn't see fit to consult any of them first, but then he's living up to his name.

I do have a question for other Boomerang fans though, since I haven't read every appearance of his. Can anyone tell me what the solicit for next month's five of a kind team-up refers to?

Get ready for FIVE OF A KIND — five issues, five top creative teams, one team-up per week, as Batman takes control of the Outsiders by using these adventures to pick his new lineup!

In WEEK 1: nightwing/boomerang, Batman's first vote is cast! The two Outsiders with just one thing in common — a troubled relationship to the Dark Knight — must reconcile their differences to go up against Chemo


Owen has a "troubled relationship" to Batman? Really? Have they even interacted?

I mean, I admit, I've missed a lot of issues, but the only connection *I* know of between Owen and Batman has to do with Owen's dad killing and getting killed by Tim's. I wouldn't count that as a relationship though. A source of tension, sure, but a relationship kind of requires more than two words of interaction I think.

I would genuinely like to see the two interact, so if there IS anything like that, I'd really like to know!

7 Comments:

  • At July 14, 2007 9:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yeah...I'm pretty sure it's the Tim thing. They interacted a bit in Robin too, IIRC, but by that point I was dropping the book and didn't really pay much attention to what was going on.

    (This was right after Cassandra went eeeeviiilllllll!!)

     
  • At July 14, 2007 10:04 AM, Blogger SallyP said…

    Hmmmm...I'm also at a bit of a loss here. I like Boomer, but don't follow him that religiously. He and Dick seemed to get along ok, in Outsiders/Checkmate, but I could understand if he and Tim were a bit wary of each other.

     
  • At July 14, 2007 1:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ah, how soon they forget.

    Identity Crisis - the story where Owen was introduced before he became Boomer.

    Batman was there on the crime scene of Jack Drake's death at the hands of Digger Harkness. Owen was called about his father's death and came onto the scene, freaking out.

    Now bear in mind at that point, Owen barely knew Digger and didn't know about some of the more twisted evil things he had done. All Owen knew of his dad was that he had just found out about him, wanted to make good on their relationship - in spite of his career of choice - and was generally a likeable bloke, if not a decent one. They appeared to be on the way to a decent friendship if not a normal father/son relationship.

    So here is Owen - an orphan for life - finally finding out that he has a dad who is interested in knowing him and who is helping him figure out the superpowers he just discovered - and suddenly, he's an orphan again. Never mind that dad was a crook who got what was coming to him... he's still his dad. And he asks Batman for the details. He demands to know what happened - if things really are what they seem to be.

    And Batman ignores him. Despite the fact that Bruce should know better than anyone the pain of losing a father to violence... even if he was a murderous scumbag like Digger Harkness... Bruce doesn't even taken the time to say "I'm sorry."

    Which makes sense given a) Bruce was more worried about Tim and b) Bruce has generally always been unsympathetic to crooks in general (and, by extension, anyone who would mourn one). But it was still a case of Batman Being A Dicl

     
  • At July 14, 2007 5:55 PM, Blogger kalinara said…

    starman: Yeah, I remember that. I sympathized with both/all three characters there.

    I'm not sure I'd personally describe one scene of Batman being a dick though as a "relationship", but maybe there's more interaction during the missing year...

     
  • At July 14, 2007 10:09 PM, Blogger notintheface said…

    Did Bats threaten Owen the last time he tried to hit on Supergirl?

     
  • At July 15, 2007 6:38 PM, Blogger D.Bishop (aka Mr. Allison Blaire) said…

    I like Owen. I'll probably get killed for this but he reminds me of why I liked Gambit so much when I was a kid. This cool, likable rogue whos just trying to do right. When I saw him on the Outsiders ad with Batman and the rest I thought it was pretty sweet. I wish he got to know Bart though. Speaking of which, I'm imagining what if Impulse were on The Outsiders under Batman and its 50 different types of funny in my head.

     
  • At July 18, 2007 12:03 AM, Blogger Ami Angelwings said…

    I thought Nightwing didn't want to be on the team... why would he be competing for a spot? >.>

    For a loner, Batman sure is a member of a lot of teams >.>

     

Post a Comment

<< Home