Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Because I Don't Blog This Enough...

It occurs to me that I haven't posted much positivity lately. Which is really odd, considering that I'm actually really really happy with the direction most of my comics are going.

I mean, I've admitted to liking Countdown already, but another thing I like about it is that it's really easy to ignore. (Which is why I don't understand all the "Countdown will be the ruin of DC!!!" sorts of posts. It's a niche market thing with a couple of tie-in mini-series. It's not selling like 52, but 52 was a wider appeal. Besides, worst thing that happens: Countdown tanks. What then? They drop it and move on. Adapt or ditch later events as needed.)

I'm really excited about Crime Bible. Really really excited. I don't know why. I've liked Vic, and I like Montoya, but I've never been truly gung ho about either. I just think that it sounds really interesting and like something new. And hey, having Batwoman around can't hurt. She intrigues me.

Sinestro Corps of course is awesome. I'm thrilled that all four Earth Corps Lanterns are going to be prominently in books and the story's really a lot of fun. Also Soranik Natu remains awesome. Iolande has potential. Isamot and Vath amuse me. And Mogo's been featured prominently. (I want a Mogo v. Ranx fight damnit).

I realize actually that I haven't blogged about Lantern stuff in ages and I really ought to. It's just, being smack dab in the middle of the event like this... I dunno, I'm too busy smugly enjoying myself to actually think coherent thoughts.

Of course the fact that the last GL issue ended with my favorite and John in chains via an attractive eeevil alien never hurts.

The Flash is working for me too. I LOVE the family angle. I mean, it is a little bit Incredibles, but for all that, it's not really a direction explored much in the comics I think. Meta/Mutant offspring seem to spend most of their time offpanel until coming back as Teen Titans or the like. Actually seeing a late twenty-something hero trying to balance a wife and hyperaged meta powered children while saving the world is pretty neat. I'm looking forward to how this is going.

It doesn't hurt that despite all the cute family stuff, I actually really didn't like the Incredibles. Left a very bad taste in my mouth. I'm weird.

Also the twins names make me smile. Iris was pretty much a given, but I'm so glad they went with Jai instead of Barry. It's a cute variation and really Wally probably wouldn't have named his baby after Barry, since there was already a namesake running around.

Blue Beetle's adorable, Supergirl's looking up. JSA is steadily good, though I'd really really like if my favorite character actually got more than a line or two all year. The Kingdom Come stuff should bother me, but I actually see it more as an ultimate divorce of KC and JSA. Anything that involves KC Superman coming to Earth-0/52/New Earth is naturally going to harp on the differences between the worlds. For all the surface similarities, the very fact that the KC Superman is coming proves that KC is NOT the future of the current DCU, even if a lot of elements are borrowed.

I'm also really enjoying that they're actually letting Power Girl be an awesome chairman. I was worried it'd be like when Mr. Terrific took over. Nothing against him, but all of a sudden the role of "chairman" and what that meant seemed to fall by the wayside. (Where it was a major theme for Sand). I'm glad that's not the same now.

I still want my favorite to say more than a few lines darnit. How about another internal monologue? Or an unmasking? Come on, I want my eye candy!

I'm even looking forward to the Black Canary/Green Arrow wedding stuff. I'm a sap.

On the Marvel side, I'm really enjoying the Death of Captain America arc. (Cap's actually advanced to a favorite character slot thanks to many many back issues. Nick Fury has also. But that's probably expected. All things considered.) I want him back sooner rather than later though. Especially since there's a good writer on his series right now and I like seeing Cap written by good writers. They can always kill him again after Brubaker leaves, damnit.

Oh and if you're one of those jerks who doesn't want Cap resurrected, don't tell me. I don't care. You won't change my mind. :-P

I kind of have my doubts about the whole Skrull thing, but then, I don't have to read them.

Unless there's Cap. Damnit.

In the end though, when I go to the comic shop and come back, I come back happy. I like that. I don't think I say that often enough, but it's true. :-)

I love my comics!

6 Comments:

  • At August 22, 2007 11:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm with you, on just about everything you wrote here (well, save the inexplicable Incredibles reaction.)

    Not sure why teh comics Intarweb hivemind has so much violent HATEHATEHATEHATE for DC lately.

    Or actually, I think maybe I do - Scipio at the Absorbascon nailed it, I think, here, and more:

    http://absorbascon.blogspot.com/2007/02/keeping-company.html

    And his advice "relax, find the parts you like and enjoy them, and don't stress about the rest" seems eminently sensible. I don't *have* to read anything by Judd Winick if I don't want to!

     
  • At August 22, 2007 12:21 PM, Blogger SallyP said…

    Bless you, my child. There is actually a LOT to be upbeat about lately. Booster Gold has a lot to do with that in my opinion.

    I too, don't understand all the hate for Countdown. It's a little on the silly side, and I think that Mary needs a good spanking, but other than that, it's a fairly enjoyable read.

    It WOULD be nice if they did a nice Sandy issue, like the one with Liberty Belle wouldn't it?

    All the Sinestro Corps stuff and the Green Lanterns, just makes me squeal with delight. You just KNOW that somehow Guy is enjoying being strung up by Lyssa. John, probably not so much. And GLC come out today! Huzzah!

     
  • At August 22, 2007 1:52 PM, Blogger kalinara said…

    suedenim: Heh, I may blog about my Incredibles reaction sometime. It's nothing against folks who like it, mind ya, just it kind of hit a few issues I'm particularly sensitive to. :-)

    I do get the joy of complaining and ranting. I do it myself, but sometimes it's good to just have fun.

    Besides, people were all ranting and pissed about Civil War last time. (And Infinite Crisis before that) It'll be interesting to see the reaction to the Skrull Invasion when it starts kicking in full gear. :-)

    sallyp: I SO want a Sandy issue, darnit! :-)

    Heheh, you can bet I raced to the comic shop today. <3

     
  • At August 22, 2007 2:08 PM, Blogger Ragtime said…

    I like the actual characters in the Incredibles (and had a bunch of Violets going trick-or-treating two years ago), but was unhappy with a lot of the plot messages -- primarily that liberals and lawyers are fighting to keep down the truly excellent and enforce mediocrity on everyone. As a Liberal (and a Lawyer), I was doubly offended.

    But within that troubled framework, I loved the family itself, and focussed on them.

    (Also, I'd just like to note that my word verification just happens to be a certain sentient city that you might have heard about.)

     
  • At August 22, 2007 5:55 PM, Blogger kalinara said…

    Yes, that's exactly it! Moreover, the casual elitism too. It would have been one thing if Syndrome had had a counterpart on the good guys' side that was self-made with neat gadgets and the desire to help.

    Instead the movie started us at the beginning with "You have no powers and don't deserve to be a hero." and finished it up with "You have no powers and don't deserve to be a hero."

    That bothers me.

    But yeah, the family life was cute.

     
  • At August 22, 2007 6:59 PM, Blogger Will Staples said…

    The whole "inherent powers are inherently better" thing really bothered me, too, but it didn't occur to me until right now that that's exactly the same rhetoric that's been leveled against liberals for decades, and which was certainly VERY prevalent at the time (the early '60s) when the movie was set.

    (And which the USSR was arguably really guilty of, but to say that social democrats' aim of leveling the playing field for those who can't fight for themselves was the same thing is intellectually disingenuous.)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home