Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Thursday, August 09, 2007

It's a Bird! It's a Plane!!!

Okay, so I've finally managed to get a look at Supergirl #20.

...

...

...

Yes. Thank you.

That's what a real teenaged girl looks like. That's even what a real teenaged girl wears. (I've seen message board posts griping otherwise, but honestly, most girls that age are WAAAAY too self conscious of their bodies to actually wear Kara's old costume. With or without parents stepping in. There's a difference between hiking up a skirt/shorts to show more leg and wearing a neck scarf AS a skirt, thank you.)

She looks amazing. She's pretty and STILL quite slender and I usually pride myself on being a fairly nice person, or at least one not prone to physical assault, but I want to seriously line up every message board poster that calls her "fat" and slap them upside the head. (Cankles?! WTF? She's wearing boots! Real boots are not skin tight at the goddamned ankles!)

Moreover, Cassie and Kara look like completely different girls for all the long blond hair. I remember joking with Ragnell about how if someone drew Kara, Cassie, Courtney, Steph, Cissie, Greta, and Mia in civilian clothes all together, no one would be able to distinguish them. I'm actually starting to believe that Renato Guedes could actually pull it off.

So yeah, it's good. I like it. Bedard's character is one I want to read about. Guedes's is one I want to see. So much so that I'm seriously considering writing snail-mail to support it.

I want to see more!

10 Comments:

  • At August 09, 2007 7:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I want to seriously line up every message board poster that calls her "fat" and slap them upside the head.

    Just slap? I want to blugeon each and every one of them. I seriously doubt any of them are female, and you can see how well conditioned to spurn real body shapes men in this country have become.

    I can't wait to get this issue and see the art for myself. The scans I've seen are excellent.

     
  • At August 09, 2007 8:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Let me say one thing at the start: I think that the art in this issue is a definite step in the right direction.

    While I don't think Kara looks fat by any stretch of the imagination, I do think her costume looks two sizes two big and she borders on being frumpy in some panels. Individual panels of the book looked amazing but... there seemed to be some uneveness to the art, in my humble opinion. It's still head over heels above Churchhill, though.

    I'm also a little concerned that Bedard has regressed Kara to the "Patty Duke" version of Supergirl but I'm hoping that's mostly due to the fact that Kara is spending most of this issue making sure that more people (including her friends among the Amazons) don't die because of her mistake. I'd like to see what he does with Kara outside of a crossover but if he can do something with the modern Kara akin to his work on Black Canary, I'm sure it will be good.

     
  • At August 09, 2007 9:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "Just slap? I want to blugeon each and every one of them."

    I just want to sit on them. Because unlike Supergirl I *am* fat. (and uh...a guy)

     
  • At August 09, 2007 10:37 AM, Blogger SallyP said…

    You want to slap the fanboys? Now now, Kali, be fair. Some of them have probably never even SEEN a real girl.

    Oh meow!

     
  • At August 09, 2007 10:53 AM, Blogger BIG MIKE said…

    I don't want to run the risk of being 'slapped' or 'bludgeoned' or otherwise maimed here, but I don't think she looks a bit like a 16-18 year old girl. I mean, her legs and arms are too short... she has the look of a preteen who is still growing. I definitely agree that this is a reaction to the fact that the previous version was too tall, too skinny, and generally too sexual, but I'm not going to jump out of my seat and applaud because someone decides to make her look like Frodo Baggins. And while we're at it... who cares what's up her skirt? How bout we get an artist who doesn't give us peaks up a 16 year old girl's skirt at all? Novel concept, I know...

     
  • At August 09, 2007 11:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    A good Tony Bedard comic? Now this I have to see.

     
  • At August 09, 2007 12:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I had the same thought as Dan. I dig Guedes, and I think he draws a sick Superman as well, but the last Tony Bedard comic I really enjoyed was... Route 666?

     
  • At August 09, 2007 4:55 PM, Blogger kalinara said…

    Big Mike: :-) Nah, you won't get slapped. There's a difference between having a problem with the drawing style/age portrayal in general and accusing her of being fat.

    I don't AGREE mind you, :-) (I think she looks like a lot of teen girls I know/knew), but you're free from slappage. :-)

     
  • At August 09, 2007 6:46 PM, Blogger notintheface said…

    Although I'm sure Guedes had a live model for his portrayal, it seems like his rendition was inspired by Hayden Panettiere from "Heroes". That's better than the old Paris Hilton model.

    And slap them, Kalinara? Has Chris Sims taught you nothing, girl? I'd give them a kick in the face, followed by a good old-fashioned Aparo backhand.

     
  • At August 10, 2007 12:58 AM, Blogger Ununnilium said…

    I gotta agree on Bedard's writing, but I'm always up for a second chance.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home