Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Sunday, August 19, 2007

More Questionable Taste From Me...

Okay, as established in my last post, sometimes I enjoy really awful television or movies. I can't help it. It's in my blood. At least I'm rarely under the delusion that it's good?

Well anyway, this is all preamble for the fact that I FINALLY got the chance to watch "Nick Fury Agent of SHIELD".

And you know, it...sorta didn't suck.

Okay, the dialogue was terrible, the plot was cliched and the acting was pretty iffy sometimes (though, it must be said, David Hasselhoff was not the worst actor/part of the movie) but the movie delivered where it was supposed to. I'd actually say it was at least as good as a couple of the weaker Bond films.

It probably helps that I'm a fan of decidedly cheesy/campy espionage shows. (Man from UNCLE? My greatest love during High School.) It's not that I have very high requirements for movies like this. The few character arcs worked fairly organically. The general main character types were appealing enough: bumbling young guy who gets confidence, telepath girl gets to be a leader type, the Contessa gets to shoot someone in the head. The villainess is appropriately scenery chewing.

Also there are LMDs and Helicarriers. And at least surface-wise, Hasselhoff really doesn't make a bad LOOKING Nick Fury.

Yep. Really, I'm quite happy. If it were a theater release, I'd likely be annoyed, but it was a tv movie and honestly, I've seen a LOT worse. (Sci-Fi channel is notorious for them, after all). :-)

7 Comments:

  • At August 19, 2007 2:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sci-Fi TV Movies - lowering expectations since 1998. :P

    It's maddening to me because they'll put something as cool as Farscape on the air but then proceed to make my soul weep with "Killer Locuts" or something.

    Awesome blog, btw! :)

     
  • At August 19, 2007 3:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I didn't have much of a problem with the Nick Fury movie either, but then I'm not much of a fan of the character. Perhaps that helped. ;-)

     
  • At August 19, 2007 8:00 PM, Blogger Captain Infinity said…

    I'm very jealous. I've been wanting to see this for a long time now.

     
  • At August 20, 2007 12:48 AM, Blogger notintheface said…

    It had some good acting, if by "good acting" you mean David Hasselhoff gritting his teeth for two hours.

     
  • At August 20, 2007 8:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    At least he had an eye patch. That's more than the Dolph Lundgren Punisher gave us.

     
  • At August 20, 2007 11:06 AM, Blogger SallyP said…

    Well, this is a terrible movie, but I have discovered that if you watch it with a bunch of smart-assed friends and involve a lot of liquor and munchies, it makes for an enjoyable evening.

     
  • At August 21, 2007 7:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I have a similar lack of taste! Really, for a TV-Movie, it's not bad, and Hasselhoff makes a much better Nick Fury than you'd expect.

    I also liked the art direction - instead of a sleek Ken Adam/Bond movie look like SHIELD in the comics, the tech has this odd WWII-retro look, which is kinda neat.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home