Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Thursday, September 27, 2007

Disorganized thoughts on Wonder Woman, JLA movie

So apparently Jessica Biel is the new bandied about rumor for Wonder Woman.

You know...I'm not actually displeased by this.

Biel isn't as statuesque as I'd prefer Wonder Woman to be (I'm very much of the Wonder Woman as truly Amazonian in stature school of thought), but she's a far cry from a lot of the other possibilities thrown around. Besides, to be fair, it's not like there are many actresses in Hollywood with the stature I'm thinking of anyway. Some, but not many.

She's athletic though and looks like she may be able to throw a punch. She's also pretty in a fairly classical way. She's faintly reminiscent of Lynda Carter to me, and my gripings about stature conveniently forgotten, Carter IS Wonder Woman for me.

Actually, come to think about it, my ideal Wonder Woman would probably be Melina Kanakaredes circa ten years back. Oh well.

I don't think Biel's one of our generation's legendary actors by any means, but she's functional. And to be honest, much as I love her, I'm not sure Diana's really a role that requires so much...acting. Rather like Captain America, if that makes sense. Sure Diana and Steve are fairly complex and have their characterization issues, but the core of each character is the genuine idealism and heroism. If the actor can pull that bit across, it'd probably be a functional portrayal of the character.

Also, if it's for the JLA movie, it's not terribly likely they'll be going THAT far into any one single member's past or complex conflicts which would require more of an acting commitment.

So really, I think it's a workable casting choice.

Of course, now I'm very very curious about the others. (I'm sure the information's out there, but heck, blind guessing's fun.)

I'm guessing the Flash will be Wally. Even if they go with a "Year One" kind of approach, Wally's really got the modern name recognition. Especially thanks to the cartoon. He's also got the personality probably better suited to the bandied about group of actors.

Green Lantern would probably be Hal, though it seems to me Kyle would be better suited for this group. Age wise and all. Though it'd be really awesome if it were John. Anyone able to point me in a direction to find out about this?

Ooh, never mind, found it, that'll teach me to check Blog@ more often, I only column for them, after all. :-)

So looks like I'm one for two. "Youngest member" definitely sounds more Wally than Barry. And they have John Stewart! That's one prediction I'm definitely happy to be wrong about!

Anyway, I'm actually glad both Routh and Bale aren't involved in this. Much as I've enjoyed both of their performances, their particular movies (Gotham mention aside) strike me as feeling very "closed-universe". It's hard to imagine either movie working out quite the way it does if the other heroes exist, (though to be fair, I suppose it could work PRE-Justice League). Routh, at least, strikes me as a bit too young, for the Superman role in this sort of thing than the whole "Flash as youngest member" thing would imply.

Huh, that's kind of funny. Bale's the one doing the origin story, Routh is doing the continuation, but Routh's the one I think looks too young. Regardless, it'll be kind of neat to see what other actors will do with the role. (Besides, if the movie does turn out as cheesy in all the right ways as I expect it can serve to make me happy while remaining largely unconnected with the more serious elements of the franchise.)

This could definitely be fun!

14 Comments:

  • At September 27, 2007 7:45 AM, Blogger Rich said…

    I'm pretty happy with Biel as Diana myself, if only because she's shown that she's not afraid to get in serious shape for movies. And she may not be the best actress around but she isn't terrible. I'd rather have Morena Baccarin (or maybe Monica Belluci 10 years ago) but Biel will do.

    But I think not having Bale as Batman is a huge mistake especially as he's under contract for a 3rd Bat-flick so they'll have two movie franchises with two people playing the same character at the same time.

    Routh I couldn't give two hoots about. If they're going with a youngish cast anyway, I'd like to see Tom Welling take the role if only for continuity's sake - he's been coming into his own in the role for a few years now.

     
  • At September 27, 2007 9:03 AM, Blogger SallyP said…

    Y'know, Tom Welling would be nice, if they gave him a haircut. And I keep thinking of Catherine Zeta-Jones for Wonder Woman, but that's just me.

    John's ok for the Green Lantern, but I'm sure there will be great gnashing of teeth from the Hal fans. Personally I'd like to see Guy, as played by Chris Evans, but I really doubt that would ever happen.

     
  • At September 27, 2007 9:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    How about Oliver Queen played by Dennis Leary? :)

     
  • At September 27, 2007 9:29 AM, Blogger Jeffrey Hardy Quah said…

    Gina Torres as Wonder Woman.

    There, I said it.

     
  • At September 27, 2007 9:32 AM, Blogger Reel Fanatic said…

    I'd take any of these three actresses over Jessica Biel as an ideal Wonder Woman: Charisma Carpenter (perfect), Lauren Graham (The most Linda Carter-esque) or Cobie Smulders (whose reportedly cast in that "Wonder Woman" that Joss Whedon somehow got fired from)

     
  • At September 27, 2007 12:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm really not seeing how a JLA movie can work out with all those iconic characters. Can somebody explain this to me?
    WM

     
  • At September 27, 2007 1:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'd like to see Allison Stokke as Wonder Woman. She's got the natural athletic ability, charm, and intelligence to really "sell" Wonder Woman as more than a superpowered model. And for all the Internet buzz that Allison has had to endure (and I am admittedly contributing to), I'd like to see her benefit from it somehow.

     
  • At September 27, 2007 4:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Aishwarya Rai, regardless of the fact that she's Indian instead of Greek. Gorgeous enough, tall enough, and can pull off action scenes, as shown in the otherwise dismal The Last Legion. And if you compare her to, say, how WW is depicted in the recent missile scene, it's actually not too jarring.

     
  • At September 27, 2007 6:05 PM, Blogger Scott said…

    Well, Biel according to IMDB is 5'7 1/2", as opposed to Lynda Carter's 5'9". Morena Baccarin is the same height as Biel, and looks a lot more like the character to my mind.

    On the other hand, Gina Torres is 5'10".

     
  • At September 27, 2007 10:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    How about Cathrine Bell as Wonder Woman? She has the build for it.

     
  • At September 29, 2007 3:23 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    If you haven't already heard, now it looks like Biel is out of the picture.

    The thing that concerns me most now is not the casting, but the way the producers are talking about the WW character in the script, i.e. as a "public relations face of the JLA", "like Angelina Jolie"?

    Oh man fuck that. They're making WW into a bullshit Miss America figurehead? I was really hoping they'd give it a less hackneyed spin, a more Kingdom Come/Sacrifice WW. Like, Superman is the moral paragon, Batman the sneaky smug one who's always, irritatingly right, and WW is the soldier who if she has to WILL NOT HESITATE TO KILL A FOOL.

     
  • At September 30, 2007 2:22 AM, Blogger philippos42 said…

    I agree, Ford, but I really don't think AOLTimeWarnerDCCupcakeWhatever gets that AT ALL.

    And I've seen Gina Torres as a model for how to play Wondie since Cleopatra 2525, so I'm pleased to see she's getting so much support.

     
  • At November 22, 2011 7:42 AM, Anonymous Peregrin said…

    Quite worthwhile information, thanks for your post.
    field day games | anchor necklace | wrap bracelets

     
  • At November 27, 2011 4:36 PM, Anonymous Allen said…

    I totally match with anything you have written.
    games full download | direct to drives | any game for free | play hidden object | download for pc

     

Post a Comment

<< Home