Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Sunday, October 28, 2007

It Could Always Get Worse...

I love fanfiction. I really do. I think its incredibly creative and the best written tends to resonate with the part of me that's always adored tie-in novels, for that extra bit of time/adventures with the characters I love. And bad fanfiction resonates with the part that likes Mystery Science Theater. Or Charmed.

I've never really been able to write fanfic though.

This isn't because I doubt my ability as a writer, (I'm no Hemingway or Fitzgerald, but I can string some sentences together, at least), nor is it because I lack ideas...

However, I don't trust my sense of restraint. For example, if I were to write a fanfic right this moment, it would probably be horrendously bad slash involving Plastic Man and Bouncing Boy.

It would contain a completely un-ironic, serious use of the word "trampolining."

Yes, like THAT.

BOING!!

11 Comments:

  • At October 28, 2007 5:31 AM, Blogger LurkerWithout said…

    Was it you or Ragnell who did the fanfic with 4 living planets?

     
  • At October 28, 2007 5:33 AM, Blogger kalinara said…

    That was me. :-) It was on a bet though. :-)

    (Linked here, actually)

     
  • At October 28, 2007 9:46 AM, Blogger Centurion said…

    You still have given no rational excuse to not write fanfiction. There has to be someone, somewhere, that would enjoy it.

    Besides, I'm sure you'd have fun.

     
  • At October 28, 2007 10:43 AM, Blogger SallyP said…

    Aw c'mon, your Ego/Mogo slashfic was GENIUS!

    And I must admit that the concept of putting Plastic Man and Bouncing Boy together would never ever had occured to me.

     
  • At October 28, 2007 9:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ...How would they get into the same timeline? (Yes, that's my only problem with the idea. The Internet has ruined my maidenly virtue.)

     
  • At October 28, 2007 9:41 PM, Blogger kalinara said…

    Actually that's easy. Plastic Man, in Obsidian Age, ended up scattered to pieces in the ocean for a couple thousand years before being re-assembled.

    So, he lives that long. :-) Easy!

    Failing that, one of the many many mechanisms for time travel. :-)

     
  • At October 28, 2007 10:51 PM, Blogger Will Staples said…

    Hey, why not just go for it? One of the main reasons to write fanfic is to indulge in scenarios that aren't going to make it into canon after all.

     
  • At October 29, 2007 12:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I don't know...I kind of appreciate Kalinara's not indulging this one. ;)

     
  • At October 29, 2007 12:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    In that case, I take back my objections. Hey, I'm still hoping someone will write Connor Hawke/Cassandra Cain (they would have such pretty three-eighths-Asian laconic ninja babies!), I have no room to start calling other people's pairings ridiculous.

     
  • At October 30, 2007 5:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ahayweh! That pairing sounds like fun! (fellow Cass/Connor shipper...)

     
  • At October 30, 2007 3:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ...there's more than one of us? Gosh. Yeah, they're my secret OTP- hey, they met once! And neither of them is dead at the moment! It's more plausible than a lot of popular pairings just by that. (Alternatively, Connor/Grace. She's collecting the whole Arrow set- do all four and you get a toaster! [I have no *idea* why I keep shipping Connor with girls.])

     

Post a Comment

<< Home