Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Tuesday, October 09, 2007

My Disorganized Musings over the WB Movie Thing...

I haven't written anything about the whole WB Robinov "No female leads" thing, mostly because I'm not sure what I think about it.

Honestly, I'd like to see some corroboration that he actually said it. I don't mean anything against Ms. Finke, but there are a number of reasons (which the CHUD article points out nicely. It's not that I think that the author is making it up, but I do think that there are a lot of reasons to wonder about possible misunderstandings.)

Ragnell actually found and linked to a response from them and naturally it was denied that he said such a thing. Which of course they would, but their denials should ideally be given the same weight as Ms. Finke's assertion if there's no corroborating evidence otherwise.

Of course, there's a whole mess of other problems in their response that Ragnell addresses nicely there. (Three?!)

I'm still not sure what I think about this. I mean, don't get me wrong, the sentiment's horrific and vastly irritating. And three movies lined up in 2008 with a female lead? That's pretty fucking sad.

At the same time, I suppose I don't think they're stupid enough to stick with this idea. Sure, there's the idea that men won't go to a movie, particularly an action movie, with a woman as lead.

But you know, all it takes is for another movie like Alien. A Ripley for this generation. Or even another Pitch Black (I was surprised how little a presence Vin Diesel's Riddick was throughout the course of the film, the real story belonged to Radha Mitchell's Fry.) Or a Fifth Element, maybe, using both a main hero and a main heroine.

Elektra and Catwoman tanked. But Underworld, the Kill Bills, the Tomb Raiders and Resident Evils (barring the last one)? They tended to sell.

Comic book movies are always spinning off acquaintances. I truly think with a stronger actress at hand, Storm would have joined Wolverine and Magneto in having a spinoff movie. And if this Hulk does well, you KNOW She-Hulk will be inevitable. (A hot scantily clad green woman punching things can't go wrong!)

I guess I just don't see the studios sticking to this no-woman trend for long. The movies are in an admitted nadir now, but trends are cyclical and pretty soon execs are going to notice the way male and female fans take to Aeryn Sun or Kara Thrace. They'll remember Alias (or even La Femme Nikita).

They'll remember pretty quick that the ideal woman centered action movie, an attractive woman kicking butt tends to sell well to both the woman and the straight male crowd (sex, violence and power is always a combination that draws folks to the the theatre.)

If Robinov said it and meant it, he'll take it back as soon as the right idea gets pitched into his head. And if he doesn't? If he clings to the idiotic policy enough to let our generation's Alien slip through his fingers and get snatched up by Paramount or someone else? Well, he'll rethink the next one. Or he might be out of the job.

It is great to see all the responses and anger and griping and discussion this is causing though, because if nothing else, it's reminding the movie making folk that we are out here, pocketbooks in hand, just DYING to spend money on a good movie with a woman lead. Companies understand money, they'll take that hint and use it. We'll benefit from this in the end.

3 Comments:

  • At October 09, 2007 9:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This might seem blunt,but,what kind of movies do women REALLY what to see? Media based on Guns,Games and Gams? Can we ALL find some BETTER stories to tell?

     
  • At October 09, 2007 9:53 PM, Blogger kalinara said…

    Anonymous: Heh, do realize that this is a comic book blog. Superhero comic blog to be more precise.

    I like varied storytelling and other genre too, but I also see nothing wrong with "Guns, Games and Gams" when it's fun. :-)

     
  • At October 09, 2007 11:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    True...but it bothers me that so many of this movie people simply do not get comics or the wonder behind them.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home