Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

An Interesting Idea!

As usual, I'm somewhat behind the loop, but Brainfreeze has linked something interesting!

So Marvel's going to make some comics available online for a fairly reasonable sounding fee, which I like a lot. I thought those Marvel compilation DVDs were a fantastic idea and I actually prefer the idea of reading a lot of stuff online if I could. See, I'm very disorganized and destructive and not the best at preserving my comics collections as they should be, having access to them on the computer would be so much better for me. Then I could read my hard copies first, put them somewhere reasonably safe/out of the way, and reread them on my computer without hurting them! Yay!

I also don't have much trouble reading things off a computer screen. :-) And the display options they offer seem to be really neat.

My only problem though is, like Brainfreeze points out, I don't want temporary access to the comics. I want to keep them. I particularly don't like anything that requires me to have active internet access at the time, because what if my internet goes out? I wouldn't be able to read my comics! That'd suck!

I get why they're doing it that way, but it might very well be a deal-breaker for me. I suppose it'll depend on what they have available, since, well, I'm a fickle fickle person and can be bribed away from many of my pre-established convictions by something shiny. :-) If they have something I want to read, I'll totally subscribe, complaints aside.

I reserve the right to bitch though. :-)

5 Comments:

  • At November 14, 2007 4:23 AM, Blogger Rob S. said…

    Depending on their inventory, I'm thinking of getting it instead of picking up certain books. hey'll be 6 months behind, but so is waiting for the trade...

     
  • At November 14, 2007 4:48 AM, Blogger LurkerWithout said…

    I'm with Church on this one. Using Flash to rent comics? Big pass...

     
  • At November 14, 2007 5:47 AM, Blogger iamza said…

    (Second attempt)

    I kind of like the idea of being able to access archive editions for a single flat monthly/yearly fee. I'd love to be able to catch up on early issues of, for example, The Uncanny X-men without having to buy yet another long box in which to store the issues when I'm done.

    I am slightly less keen on not being able to download the issues to my computer, though I guess I can understand why Marvel have chosen to disable that option (how long would it take before the Archive appeared in torrent form?)

     
  • At November 14, 2007 8:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Why would people do that, when they can torrent instead (yeah, illegal, but generally not something companies would have a profit in catching)?

    It's near impossible for the private market to compete with a public good.
    Especially when the private good as inferior (time lag)

     
  • At November 14, 2007 10:05 AM, Blogger SallyP said…

    I'm just old-fashioned, I guess. I want to feel it, and breathe it, and HAVE it. What if my computer blows up?

    On the other hand, it would be nice to read some books that I know I SHOULD read, without having to go out and find them. Except that I'd probably read them on-line, and THEN go out and buy them for real.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home