Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Sunday, November 25, 2007

Pull-List Trouble...

I'm thinking of taking Robin off of my pull-list. Actually, "thinking of" pretty much means I'm going to do it the next time I'm in the comic store and remember to do it. I'm fairly decided about it.

I'm kind of sad though. Robin was the first series I really started reading comics with and I still have deep fondness for the Tim Drake character and how he thinks and acts. And "A Lonely Place of Dying" was like the first trade paperback I actively hunted down myself.

At the same time I've been largely dissatisfied with the series of late. I don't really know why. I haven't soured on the character, really, but I don't get the same delight either. It may just be that I like Tim more in theory than execution (and that I've been getting my fill of awesome, intense, scary-competent characters elsewhere. Not that there can ever be too many, but these others may be more to my taste.)

I don't know if it's the writing, but I know that the announcement of Chuck Dixon being back on the series doesn't particularly appeal to me either. That may be more just a general dissatisfaction with his more recent work than anything else, and heck, maybe he'll be awesome again on Robin.

Oh well, if it's good, I'm sure I'll be buying it again. If not, well, there are other series to buy. :-) It still feels kind of weird though.

9 Comments:

  • At November 25, 2007 10:40 AM, Blogger SallyP said…

    You have mentioned "A Lonely Place of Dying" before, so perhaps I should really track it down and read it. The title is certainly evocative.

    I'm not much of a bat fan, so I guess that I don't think about reading Robin. The Annual with Keith Champagne was pretty good.

    I still think that an Alfred solo book would be fabulous!

     
  • At November 25, 2007 10:54 AM, Blogger kalinara said…

    It's basically the origin story: how Tim Drake hooks up with the Batclan. It's got some contrived bits, but I like it a lot. It definitely goes out of its way to set Tim up as a Robin that is very unlike what came before while still paying homage/respect to Dick and Jason's legacies.

    I would totally read an Alfred solo book!

     
  • At November 25, 2007 11:38 AM, Blogger Will Staples said…

    Honestly, if there's one thing that's turned me off about Tim Drake lately, it's that in the space of the last three years he's gone from being a normal, happy, slightly geeky, well-adjusted kid whose motives and methods for fighting crime were completely different from Bruce's and Dick's, to Batman, Jr.

    There's just nothing special about him anymore.

     
  • At November 25, 2007 2:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Kalinara-- Did you read the Brandon Thomas one-off from a couple issues back?

    I want that guy writing Robin. That was an excellent issue and a step in the right direction.

     
  • At November 25, 2007 3:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Will, given everything that the editors have put poor Tim through in the last couple of years, it's only natural that he has gotten a little grim of late.
    Kalinara, I don't blame you much for wanting to pull the title from your list. Dixon has disappointed me as well. However, I still think he can crank out some good ones. When he's not being a too, that is.
    WM

     
  • At November 25, 2007 9:12 PM, Blogger Ununnilium said…

    I just really disliked Beechen's run, personally. >>v

     
  • At November 25, 2007 10:59 PM, Blogger zhinxy said…

    I still think that an Alfred solo book would be fabulous!

    I'd die of happy. Thanks, Sally P! That hadn't even occurred to me before, and now I'm crying inside for lack of it. Why you do that to me? ;)

     
  • At November 26, 2007 10:02 AM, Blogger SallyP said…

    Sorry, Zinxy, didn't mean to make you cry. But just imagine...Alfred Pennyworth:SUPER butler!

     
  • At November 26, 2007 4:44 PM, Blogger Derek said…

    Thug: Yeah? What are you gonna do? Beat me up? I'd like to see you try, Jeeves.

    *WHUD!*

    Alfred: Very good, sir.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home