Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Saturday, November 24, 2007

Rambling About the Flash!

You know, I really really am enjoying the Flash comic right now. I think it's actually starting to tie GLC and JSA as my favorite comic series at the moment.

I think it's neat. And the current approach is fairly original as superhero comics go. I always like seeing comics that try to balance a family life with superheroing, especially balancing being a responsible parent with being a superhero. I've always been a bit disappointed with how Catwoman handled it, though I think the problem there may be more that Helena's not really old enough to be more than a plot device or millstone around her mother's neck. Manhunter's great, but since Kate doesn't have primary custody of Ramsey, parenting is a plot point only when Andreyko wants it to be.

The less said about the Dinah Lance and Sin fiasco, the better. And as fond as I am of Roy and Lian, they've been on the back burner for freaking ever.

But Wally. Wally's married now. He has kids. Full time custody of the kids. He's got to balance being a good, attentive husband, being a responsible and caring father (of hyperaged superpowered children, egads!) and being a superhero. And it's neat!

I also like how the kids are incorporated into the story. They're there and they're cute and they have exciting things happen, but they don't get in the way of exciting grown-up things happening either. There's still action and danger!

I am mildly weirded out by the comic book tendancy to have children take after one parent or the other. But I am kind of amused that little Iris is the one who looks like Wally while Jai looks like Linda. (I also appreciate that the kids aren't named Barry and Iris. Then again, considering that Bart was still alive when they were born, and is already Barry's namesake, it would be unnecessary for Wally to name his own son after him.)

The new solicit perplexes me a little, since there's talk of "supporting the family". I'm reading that as financially. Though really, of the two of them, I'd always thought Wally would be a better stay at home dad. He really doesn't tend toward steady jobs, police station gig aside, and Linda's always been more career-oriented.

Then again, I suppose feeding a family of speedsters would require two incomes at least.

Anyway, I'm just really really enjoying the series! How about you?

11 Comments:

  • At November 24, 2007 11:42 AM, Blogger ShellyS said…

    I love it, too. My cousin (Caucasian) is in an interracial marriage, with a Chinese-American woman and their kids have her dark hair, but their son looks more like my cousin (including his prominent birthmark) and their daughter looks mostly like his wife. One of my friends is blond and mostly Irish, and her husband has nearly black hair and is half-Puerto Rican. One of their sons looks just like him in coloring and face (including expressions!) while the other is the image of my friend, except his hair is redder. It's always interesting to see how the genes split up when parents are very different looking.

    I wish we'd see more of Roy and Lian somewhere, but that doesn't happen much when the character is in only a team book. Wally's got his own book back and I'm looking forward to more wonderful stories.

     
  • At November 24, 2007 11:53 AM, Blogger SallyP said…

    Why I've been enjoying it enormously, thank you very much! The kids are just so cute.

    I've always wondered if the JLA'ers get some sort of stipend or something? Tax credits? Would Wally be entitled to a salary from the Flash Museum in Keystone City?

     
  • At November 24, 2007 12:03 PM, Blogger ShellyS said…

    Sally, I've wondered that, myself. Roy doesn't have a day job, either. I think he'd gotten money from the company funding the Outsiders, but I have no idea how he's paying his rent now. I don't know why comics writers don't understand that we readers want to know these things. Jobs aren't just to provide interesting supporting casts. ;)

     
  • At November 24, 2007 1:17 PM, Blogger SallyP said…

    The Avengers used to get $1,000 a week I think, which wasn't bad change for the time, AND a place to crash, while having Jarvis do their laundry and make them cookies.

    What sort of deal does the Justice League have? Or the Justice Society for that matter? At least they have Ma Hunkel to take care of them over at the JSA.

    Roy probably has to do all his own laundry, which knowing him, means that all his underwear is pink, from throwing it in with his costume.

     
  • At November 24, 2007 2:46 PM, Blogger Flidget Jerome said…

    I've just assumed that Roy's being financially supported by Ollie. It would explain how he can afford ex-special forces as baby-sitters.

     
  • At November 24, 2007 3:12 PM, Blogger ShellyS said…

    It's possible that Ollie, now that he has money again, is helping out, but it's never been mentioned. I just wish they'd clarify it. Along with who's paying for Wally's house, etc.

     
  • At November 24, 2007 4:05 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    I dunno, I've found the comic kinda boring.
    Also something's off with Wally's look, I think he needs to look a little more mature and fatherly. I'm thinking big ass sideburns.

     
  • At November 24, 2007 5:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It's been pretty good, I agree. Nice art by Freddie Williams and Doug Braithwaite too.

     
  • At November 24, 2007 8:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You know, it's weird that nobody has thought to do something with the concept of a family of superheroes before now... especially given how successful The Incredibles was.

     
  • At November 25, 2007 10:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "You know, it's weird that nobody has thought to do something with the concept of a family of superheroes before now... especially given how successful The Incredibles was."

    Well, the Fantastic Four has been doing the superhero family thing for over 40 years (which is pretty much what the Incredibles was drawing from).

    I'm not a fan of Waid's latest Flash run. It's a little too cutesy for me. Plus, it reminds me off all those Steven Speilberg movies with kids in them where they're constantly doing that fake yelling or screaming at some bug-eyed beasty or mean guy chasing them. Like I said, a little too cutesy.

     
  • At November 26, 2007 8:11 AM, Blogger running42k said…

    I was sceptical about the concept in Flash but it is working for me.

    Plus with the second story in the book these days, it is the best value for your comic book dollar going these days.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home