Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Saturday, December 08, 2007

Arena?

I have to admit, I don't quite know what to do about Countdown: Arena. Mostly because, as much of a fangirl that I am, I don't really see the point in the whole endeavor. I mean, I don't begrudge its existance, since I totally see the theoretical appeal. Just...well, three versions of Batman, none of whom are the version I'm actually somewhat fond of, duking it out sounds remarkably boring.

Admittedly, I may feel differently when characters I actually like show up. But right now, meh. Does nothing for me.

Though I AM interested in the team that's going to result from this. I haven't yet read any Arena issues, but it seems like whatever variations get chosen could make for a fairly interesting team up. Personally though, I'm a lot more interested in the team-up and the interaction than how they get there.

Okay, it just occurred to me that a combination team of Vampire Batman, Red Son Superman, and one of the Nazi Green Lanterns from that John Stewart AU could end up being the ultimate comic book villain team ever. I'd totally read that comic.

Or a team of all Ted Kords. I know there's Justice Riders and Charlton worlds in there, at least. A team of alternate Ted Kords would be neat.

Damn though, THAT's what I want to see. Instead of an Arena where the characters just duke it out, I'd love to see stories where they have to team up to escape this wacky situation. I don't really care whether Vampire Batman will chomp Gotham By Gaslight Batman. But the two working together, like a really fucked up buddy movie action-comedy? That'd rock.

Oh well, I guess I'm just not the target audience for this one. Too bad.

7 Comments:

  • At December 08, 2007 9:29 AM, Blogger snell said…

    What I want to know is, why the competition? Why only 1 of each archetype? Why not a team chock full of Supermen and Lanterns??

     
  • At December 08, 2007 11:41 AM, Blogger SallyP said…

    Well, I do like Keith Champagne an awful lot. I rather liked this, and I'm really looking forward to the battle of the Hals. But a team of Blue Beetles would indeed be awesome.

     
  • At December 08, 2007 12:03 PM, Blogger wanderfish said…

    I have trepidations about this. I'm getting tired of watching Dan Garrett get killed.

     
  • At December 08, 2007 1:33 PM, Blogger Rob S. said…

    I hope its good -- but it it's not, I doubt it'll be much reflection on Champagne.

    Frankly, though, I don't know it I'd buy it even if it were good. It's just not my thing, and I don't have anough money for things that are my thing.

     
  • At December 09, 2007 4:46 AM, Blogger Flidget Jerome said…

    All I want out of this is for someone to post the version of the Shade that turned up on scans_daily. After that my interest sorta fizzles.

     
  • At December 09, 2007 5:14 AM, Blogger Diamondrock said…

    I just want to see more of Monarch smacking people around.

     
  • At December 10, 2007 11:17 PM, Blogger Ami Angelwings said…

    An all Ted Kord team would be unstoppable! They'd cure world hunger, cancer, crime and create a comic book industry that's both thriving and appeals to all genders, ethnicities, sexualities, etc etc all at once! :D

    xD

     

Post a Comment

<< Home