Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Monday, January 28, 2008

More Cartoon Fun!

I mentioned yesterday how a conversation led me to wonder if I was delusioning up a Siegfried and Roy cartoon (short answer, no, I wasn't, it exists, and I bought a copy of the vhs off of amazon. :-P) well, it also led my friend to decide that my experience with 80s cartoons was incomplete, so he rented BraveStarr and made me watch it.

It's okay though, I got him back with Adventures of the Galaxy Rangers. We were on a space western kick, clearly. It's the robot horses. That's what Firefly needed, damnit. Robot horses.

Anyway, for all that I'd watched FAR too many cartoons as a young kalinara, I'd actually never, to my recollection, seen BraveStarr (I do not know what's up with the extra "r"). Though the themesong did strike me as vaguely familiar.

It was fairly interesting, I mean, as 80s tv shows go. I'm still trying to figure out what Tex Hex is supposed to be. I mean, they seem to indicate he's human, but...why is he purple? Even in the flashbacks when he's not eeevil, he seems to be purple.

I'm still not sure what exactly Kerium is either. But apparently it cures blind people, which is interesting. (Speaking of, that episode's guest star, a blind girl who was basically Adora from She-Ra, was kind of kickass. I wish she'd show up again.) It's also worth a lot of money and apt to be stolen! Eeek!

Like most 80s shows, there was of course the "moral" at the end. The one with the blind girl had a fairly decent one though which summed up to the what-every-person-with-common-sense-ought-to-know message of "blind people don't want your pity, thank you, and are more than capable of having lives of their own." Well, decent until the judge-chick suddenly turns to the blind man (her father perhaps?) and saccharines at him: "I'm proud of you."

Yeesh, a "don't patronize people" message topped off with a different patronizing sentiment. Smooth.

That said, I actually did rather like it. Especially one episode where the lead character's mentor returns, having fallen considerably from grace. Much to my surprise there was no real redemption moment or anything like that. The ending was actually somewhat uncomfortable, without a lot of emotional resolution. (The moral being summed up as "sometimes people you care about will disappoint you, but try to remember the things the things they've done well, not the mistakes they've made. Which is a fairly decent moral, actually.)

I think my favorite character's probably the robot horse who turns into a robot horse man, who in my friend's words "really really needs anger management." He also carries a giant gun. And well...I approve of robot horses. I also approve of giant guns. Especially ones named "Sarah Jane".

I haven't yet seen the girl-judge do anything, but given that I've only seen three episodes, I can't judge based on that. I do like that they have a girl judge though. The lisping mole sidekick though is one that I can seriously live without. But it's interesting.

Also, the lead character is fairly interesting too. I like his character design. The powers are useful without being too much, and the (apparent) limit of being able to use only one at once allows for a bit of strategy. And the villain is amusing.

I kind of regret not seeing this when I was a kid. I think I'd have liked it a lot. :-)

16 Comments:

  • At January 28, 2008 7:02 AM, Blogger Ununnilium said…

    BraveStarr was one of my favorites back in the day. Not sure how well it'd hold up today, mind. @.@ But "Speed of the Puma!" was The Figurative Bomb.

    (Galaxy Rangers was a good one too.)

     
  • At January 28, 2008 8:29 AM, Blogger LurkerWithout said…

    Ah 80s cartoons. Leading to such debates as "Who would win in a fight between the Thundercats, Silverhawks and Tigersharks?" Which were all essentially the same basic concept. Except the the Thundercats were alien furrys as opposed to the cyborgy furries of the other two groups...

     
  • At January 28, 2008 10:06 AM, Blogger SallyP said…

    Hmmm...never got into Bravestarr much, but boy howdy, did I love Galaxy Rangers. I've even got most of the episodes on video tapes. And isn't THAT old technology!

     
  • At January 28, 2008 7:55 PM, Blogger zhinxy said…

    Holy crap, It's all coming back to me now.

    And does anybody remember a show with talking dinos from space who gave kids power rings? Seriously, the mention of Bravestarr just opened up a whole flood of 80's cartoon memories.

    CURSE YOU, KALINARA!

     
  • At January 28, 2008 9:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Galaxy Rangers for the win. I rememebr discovering that the same year as Robotech. Of course, that's a whole 'nother story...

     
  • At January 28, 2008 9:48 PM, Blogger Tom Foss said…

    I dug the hell out of Bravestarr. The toyline totally rocked, and made better use of infrared sensors than Thundercats ever did.

    It may have been a somewhat regional thing, where it aired. My grandma, who lived in Texas, taped episodes so I, who lived in Indiana, could see them.

    Is Galaxy Rangers the one with Star Rider and some robot horses? I think that might have been my first exposure to anime.

     
  • At January 29, 2008 1:00 AM, Blogger Ami Angelwings said…

    I liked Bravestarr! I used to pretend to be him but with different animals.. like being as quiet as a mouse (did he have that or did i make it up as a little girl? xD) when i needed to sneak around :D "Cute of the kitten"? :D "Power of teh Ami"? :D

     
  • At January 29, 2008 1:00 AM, Blogger Ami Angelwings said…

    How come you get all the awesome spambots? :O

    "really good written"? XDDD

     
  • At January 29, 2008 2:25 AM, Blogger LurkerWithout said…

    Zhinxy is remembering the cartoon "Dino-Saucers". Which was about good/evil teams of humanoid alien dinos. As opposed to "Dino-Riders" which was about good/evil teams of time travelers who rode dinosaurs after kitting them out with laser cannons...

     
  • At January 29, 2008 2:26 AM, Blogger LurkerWithout said…

    Also netflix has the Galaxy Rangers dvds. Not sure about BraveStarr...

     
  • At January 29, 2008 10:30 AM, Blogger Ferrous Buller said…

    Galaxy Rangers was awesome.

    Thank you, that will be all.

     
  • At January 29, 2008 10:41 AM, Blogger SallyP said…

    Yes. Yes it was.

     
  • At January 29, 2008 11:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Bravestarr also did a drugs episode that was the usual histrionics of that sort of plot: a young kid gets hooked on the stuff, BraveStarr and crew races to save him...

    ...but they don't. The episode ends with them finding the kid's body.

    That was... different.

     
  • At January 30, 2008 3:06 AM, Blogger Ami Angelwings said…

    OMG RLY? :O

    OMG HARSH REALITY KIDS!!!!

    I wonder how many kids broke down crying and never took drugs again xD

     
  • At February 04, 2008 8:30 AM, Blogger Joe said…

    It's kind of sad how much I remember the details of Bravestarr episodes, as I can picture the fallen mentor episode and the drug overdose episode very clearly. [The latter also surprised me as a kid, but then I saw the GI Joe episode where the Joes and Cobra team up to stop a druglord who dies buried in his own product during the final battle, and the C.O.P.S. episode where the C.O.P.S. and the C.R.O.O.K.S. team up to stop the drug dealer. 80s moral: The Reagan-era propaganda war on drugs was worth taking the heavy-handed morality to the extreme. Oh sure, Cobra's trying to take over the world and destroy famous landmarks but at least THEY'RE NOT DRUG DEALERS!!!]

    I think in a handful of episodes the judge got to throw her hammer at the bad guys. I thought I knew what Galaxy Rangers was, but apparently I mixed it up with Saber Rider and the Star Sheriffs, another awesome space western with robot horses.

    I hope the series has held up as well as you say. For years I held Thundercats to high praise, seen through the filter of childhood memories. Then my university anime club showed old episodes one night, and I was appalled at the poor animation, the worse voice acting and dubbing, and the heavy-handed morality.

    The only amusing thing was seeing how often the Thundertank would get shot at and flip over, leading to Panthro telling the other Thundercats to go on ahead, and he'd catch up once he fixed the 'Tank. Inevitably, he'd arrive just as the other 'Cats had defeated the villain, leading my friends and I to speculate Panthro had a switch on the Thundertank called "flip" he'd use to avoid risking his neck. ;-)

     
  • At July 30, 2010 2:26 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    The Cartoon technology is really amazing specially because nowadays there are new alternative in the animation of every cartoon, I love it because I usually want to know how was created every cartoon.. I always enjoy read, know, or discover new things every day actually once i found costa rica investment opportunities an interesting webside . which present something different. All new things usually catch my attention.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home