Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Sunday, January 27, 2008

Vagaries and Memories...

Okay, I was talking with a friend of mine about childhood cartoons yesterday, and my mind wandered to something I vaguely remember seeing when I was about nine or ten which no one else seems to remember.

It was a miniseries I think. Only a couple of episodes. Animated. And it starred Siegfried and Roy.

...

Okay, I admit, that's a little weird and more than enough to make me think this may well have been a delusion.

All I remember is that it was a fantasy setting. Siegfried (I think) was a blond guy dressed in green and was some sort of trickster or thief. Roy (I think) had dark hair, wore a red cloak and may have been a magician's apprentice. He may have had some sort of artifact or book he was trying to hide.

One of them had a white tiger, of course. (I don't remember if they got to be gay, I'm guessing no, simply because kids' cartoons can be somewhat conservative. Shame really. I tend to think exposure to different people would do the little brats good. I'm sure there was enough material that a silly person such as myself would have fun reading into it though.)

I only ever managed to see the first episode and remember being quite crushed by this fact since it was the sort of remarkably silly trainwreck that I'd have adored as a kid.

Scratch that, I still love that sort of ridiculousness now. I have to track this thing down.

Anyway, I'm sure I can figure out how to get my hands on it, provided it actually exists. Really, I just need to know that I'm not the ONLY person who remembers this thing existing. I'm not THAT delusional, right?

7 Comments:

  • At January 27, 2008 5:37 AM, Blogger Ragnell said…

    Oh, you're delusional.

    Just not in this particular way.

     
  • At January 27, 2008 6:30 AM, Blogger LurkerWithout said…

    Shoot. Beat me to it. But yeah, I remember catching an episode of the show. Still better than the weird CGI one NBC did a couple years ago...

     
  • At January 27, 2008 8:28 AM, Blogger snell said…

    To the rescue...

    I vaguely remember it, although I never saw it. Siegfried & Roy, Masters of the Impossible was released on video in 1996. I believe it was a straight to video thing; but it's possible that it was either compiled from a TV show or was later broken up and broadcast as episodes of a TV show. Or maybe some Cartoon Network or someone just showed the whole thing, and that's what you remember...

     
  • At January 27, 2008 2:29 PM, Blogger Ununnilium said…

    Nope, it was definitely a TV miniseries. I caught one episode when it first aired and most of it years later at some forgotten 6 AM slot on Cartoon Network or something.

    I even remember the theme song. "Siegfried and Roy, magical mystical! Siegfried and Roy, dah dah dah dah dah!" Okay, I remember a small fraction of the theme song.

     
  • At January 27, 2008 3:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You're talking about "Fathers of the Pride", an animated series, VERY short-lived, that aired in early 2004. The characters were indeed based on Siegfried & Roy and included their white lions. Good memory!

     
  • At January 27, 2008 3:01 PM, Blogger kalinara said…

    Hmm, 2004's much too recent. I had to have been about ten or so when this was on.

    Sounds interesting though. :-)

     
  • At January 27, 2008 3:34 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    You're not crazy. I was about the same age when I first saw it and my friends and I were nuts about it because it featured the white tiger. It was a miniseries, it ran 4 episodes. You got the descriptions spot on, but what Roy was trying to hide was the Tiger. The tiger was apparently magical and could shape shift, and was getting very old. As she neared the end of her life, she needed to shapeshift back into a kitten so that she wouldn't die, and something was stopping her. So Roy goes on a quest to fix said problem. I think that Siegfried was the one after the book.
    They never did get to be gay, they didn't even know each other at beginning of the series. I don't remember a thing about how they ended up getting together for this quest.
    I'm being vague because I was 9 and can't remember much of a damn thing.
    This is the only video evidence I can find of the show:

    http://youtube.com/watch?v=83xFZHDKnrY

    And here's the DVD released in 2004: http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Legend-Sarmoti-Siegfried-Roy/1972

     

Post a Comment

<< Home