Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Saturday, February 02, 2008

Miscellaneous Musing

I have a thing about certain types of storylines. Essentially, I'm one of those sorts of people that will read or watch almost anything, no matter how stupid, if someone describes it in the right way.

To put it in perspective, I watched a whole year's worth of Charmed JUST to see the seekrit kid from the future's storyline.

God that was a horrible show.

I mean really really bad. But "seekrit kid from the future" is one of those sorts of plots that I will torture myself with sheer crap just to see. Another one is "character is secretly related to other character." I know, I know, it's cliche. But...

Maybe I'd just watched Star Wars a bit too much in my youth. I don't know. But I just can't resist the whole "Luke, I am your father thing."

(I've, for the record, never forgiven Earth: Final Conflict for not resolving their secret evil father, good son relationship damnit. What good is it, if the other character never finds out?!)

I'm only saying this now, because my ex-roommate, who is inexplicably a Power Rangers fan, is evil. And has very recently informed me that one of the main characters in the recent series has been revealed...to be a robot! (Well, android, but robot's more fun to say.)

"Revealed to be a robot!!!" is one of my FAVORITE storylines EVER! Which of course means I have to go hunt down and watch this wretched show (I did get to see the robot revelation episode, which, to be fair, had a couple of surprisingly creepy/surprising moments for a kids' show).

But yeah, I really have no willpower or sense of self-preservation, clearly.

On the plus side, it's still better than Charmed...

8 Comments:

  • At February 02, 2008 7:53 AM, Blogger LurkerWithout said…

    I've got at least one friend, of otherwise impecable taste, who is a huge mark for the dog/lizard commander guy from one of the Power Ranger's seasons. One of the space ones...

    Which also is probably better than Charmed. Of course to get worse you have to start delving into the pits of genre syndicated shows...

    Your Cleopatra 20somethings and your Sheena of the Jungle's. Or the worst Bruce Campbell show ever made Jack of All Trades. Verne Troyer as Napolean...

    *shudder*

    Me, I'm a sucker for talking animal sidekicks. Which explains why I've seen damn near every of Sabrina the Teenage Witch. AND the College years spin-off...

     
  • At February 02, 2008 9:37 AM, Blogger SallyP said…

    Kali, your curiosity will lead to an early grave, if you're not careful!

    I can attest to this. I actually LIKED "Manimal", and was sorry to see it cancelled. And my hair turned white...overnight!

     
  • At February 02, 2008 2:37 PM, Blogger ShellyS said…

    Then again, I thought Charmed was a wonderful show, one that mostly stuck to its mythology (except to cover cast changes and even then, they worked things out reasonably well) and was cleverly written. Sure, there was eye candy, male and female, which means it had something or someone for everybody.

    When I first watched it, I expected to not like it (I started watching halfway through season 2) and got hooked almost immediately. Sure, there have been better shows, but fewer that were as consistently entertaining over so many years. And IMO, they went out on top.

     
  • At February 02, 2008 7:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I really shouldn't do this to you, but . . . if you really dig those kinds of plot points/plot twists, and you're willing to track down Power Rangers episodes for them, you should check out some of the original Japanese shows they're adapted from. The plot points in both Gekiranger and Kamen Rider Den-O (especially Den-O, with all the time travel) should be right up your alley. (Other suggestions: Kamen Rider Faiz and Kamen Rider Kabuto.) Subtitled episodes aren't that hard to find; try veoh.com. If you get sucked in, I apologize in advance.

     
  • At February 03, 2008 4:28 AM, Blogger LurkerWithout said…

    The two greatest shows of the eighties were "Manimal" and "Misfits of Science". TRUE FACT!

     
  • At February 03, 2008 12:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm glad I'm not the only one that doesn't get Charmed. Every so often I'll catch an episode, and while it rarely actively annoys me, neither does it generate any enthusiasm to catch the next episode, even when that episode is immediately following.

    And is there a reason Piper lacks any strong emotion, or even much apparent interest in any of the dramatic stuff going on around her, or is the actress just phoning it in?

     
  • At February 05, 2008 8:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    abc noon to 1 or week nights on toon Disney
    I am also EVIL. It's more fun;)

     
  • At February 05, 2008 3:45 PM, Blogger Ferrous Buller said…

    I have a fondness for historical what-ifs, especially when the characters run into famous people - the kookier, the better. Doctor Who is a pretty reliable source for these sorts of storylines.

    Jack of All Trades was great precisely because it was so ludicrous. The premise doesn't even make any sense: why would the U.S. and England ally around the time of the War of 1812 against France, who had been our ally? Why would we try to thwart Napoleon's ambitions by going to the South Pacific? What does dressing like a cheap Zorro knockoff have to do with any of this? It was all so deliciously stupid.

    [OK, so maybe I just had a crush on Angela Dotchin. What can I say? I have a weakness for bodices and British accents.]

     

Post a Comment

<< Home