Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Solicits and Miscellaneous Marvel Musings!

Yay! We've got Solicits! (DC and Marvel!)

Now most readers of this blog know I'm about 90% DC fan to 10% Marvel fan. Nothing against Marvel of course, it's just a matter of general personal tastes with regards to specific characters/storytelling structures. For May though, I'm actually more excited about Marvel's output, mostly because of THIS:

MIGHTY AVENGERS #13 &14
Written by BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS
Penciled by ALEX MALEEV & KHOI PHAM
Cover by MARKO DJURDJEVIC
SECRET INVASION TIE-INS!
Where has Nick Fury been and who are the new Howling Commandos? It’s the debut of all-new characters and some surprising revelations about some classic ones as Nick starts to put his plan to stop the Invasion together. But will it be enough?
The Eisner award-winning team of Bendis and Maleev bring this very important Secret Invasion issue to life.
32 PGS.(each)/Rated A …$2.99 (each)


Yay! Nick Fury's back!!! I missed that lunatic! And he's got a plan! SCORE!

So is he going to take over SHIELD again? Because Tony might think he's running SHIELD, but I bet if Fury snapped they'd come running.

I'm also really excited about Avengers/Invaders #1. I'd like to see the Avengers interacting with a Steve that predates even Bucky-angst. I don't think they'll stick around of course, (and honestly, that version isn't really the Steve I WANT to come back for good), but it promises to be really fun.

I wonder if the "other Captain America" in the Captain America title will be a tie-in to this Steve of someone else entirely.

I'm kind of not really surprised that they have a Heroes Writer doing Ultimate X-Men. It seems like an idea that could go well or backfire. To be fair, as lackluster as I found the current season, Heroes has seemed to have done really well and given that the Ultimate Universe is a bit edgier/more modern than 616, I'd imagine the styles are fairly compatible. It might be interesting to see how it goes.

Iron Man as head of SHIELD still makes me twitch no matter how many months intoo it it is. Don't get me wrong, I don't actually dislike Tony. But, while he's unmistakably a genius in many many capacities, I can NOT comprehend how any sane person ever thought him a suitable head of SHIELD. Seriously. Egads.

4 Comments:

  • At February 20, 2008 6:41 AM, Blogger LurkerWithout said…

    Well it helps that Maria Hill, the political appointee before him, was exceedingly incompetant. She's a kick-ass operative from seeing her in action. But as the spymaster / top cop for S.H.I.E.L.D? Terrible. She basically had the job because she was a relatively high ranking agent with no loyalty or connection to Fury. And she kept trying to push Tony into it whenever they'd meet...

    And I think Tony had some cabinet position then also. Defense maybe?

     
  • At February 20, 2008 11:51 AM, Blogger SallyP said…

    The Marvel Universe has been a cold, dark place without Nick Fury.

     
  • At February 21, 2008 3:23 PM, Blogger Evan Waters said…

    When DID Nick Fury disappear? You'd figure more of a deal would've been made out of that.

     
  • At February 22, 2008 6:33 AM, Blogger LurkerWithout said…

    Fury quit during Bendis' Secret War mini. He'd sent a group of heroes (Cage, Wolverine, Cap, Spidey and I forget who else) into Latveria to stomp on whoever was running the place until Doom got back. Next to none of which you get to see in the series...

    Then the Evil Lady who was running the place attacks the heroes in the U.S. and almost kills Cage. And because of that Fury goes all sad and quits...

    Its mentioned by Cap in CW that Fury is helping them with secret ids and stuff, but thats all...

    Fury quitting S.H.I.E.L.D. Cap giving up in the middle of a fight. Spidey making a deal with the devil...

    See the Quimby Continuium is even-handed in making ALL the people they write quitters...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home