Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Saturday, March 08, 2008

Green Lantern and Wonder Woman Sittin' In A Tree...

Kind of randomly, I came to the conclusion that John Stewart and Wonder Woman would make a really interesting couple.

I admit, I don't really have any basis for this. While they seem to interact friendly enough in JLA team books, there really isn't anything to support any sort of interpretation of romantic chemistry.

At the same time, I think they'd be really cute. I'm a little weird.

I think it's mostly because I've always seen John as the real crusader type of the main Earth Lanterns. Hal, Guy and Kyle are of course heroic, but well, they're reactionary. They save people falling out of buildings and fight off alien invaders, but none of them seem particularly inclined to pursue social change. In contrast, from his very first appearance, we're introduced to John as a man who'll confront a cop to protect some kids' right to play a game on the street. He's the sort to notice social injustice happening to another and put a stop to it.

He's also the architect of the group. He thinks and plans and considers. He's intellectually and emotionally stable in a way that very few superheroes get to be.

I dunno, I guess I just think they're remarkably compatible. They both have roles that on the surface might seem diametrically opposed. He's the architect/crusader, she's the diplomat/warrior. Diana's not as brilliant as Batman, perhaps, but she's a lot more emotionally stable and usually manages to keep a lot more perspective. She's as idealistic as Superman, in her own way, and also a major proponent for social change. I think they also have a very similar understanding of the weight of expectation on their shoulders.

I don't know if I think the relationship would work long term, necessarily, but I do think it'd be interesting to explore some time in JLA. Much more interesting than the umpteenth rehash of Superman/Wonder Woman or Batman/Wonder Woman sexual tension at any rate. It could be really neat!

5 Comments:

  • At March 08, 2008 5:52 AM, Blogger LurkerWithout said…

    Wonder Woman/Martian Manhunter! Come on! No one ever OTPs poor J'onnz. I'd also go with Huntress/Martian Manhunter...

     
  • At March 08, 2008 9:54 AM, Blogger SallyP said…

    Diana and John eh? Hmmmm.... I don't know, I see them as being more platonic, I suppose.

    Now GUY and Diana would work for me. And Beau Smith, apparently.

     
  • At March 10, 2008 10:54 AM, Blogger Ragtime said…

    I also don't really see a John Stewart/ Diana spark. It would seem kind of forced to me. Maybe its because they are frequently together in various JLA events and have never really interacted much. Also, the Diana/ Arthur Curry match has always been so obvious to me that I just can't see them with anyone else.

    In terms of great WW/GL pairings, though, have Hal Jordan and Steve Trevor ever teamed up? Those two seem like "best friends who haven't met yet" if anyone is.

    I've been re-reading the Steve Trevor/ Hermes interactions from the last 80s (issues 35-45, or thereabouts), and wondering why Steve would be bunking up with a mess of a Greek god for years, but never got to go out in space with a fun mission fellow Air Force pilot.

     
  • At March 13, 2008 9:36 PM, Blogger philippos42 said…

    Huh? Maybe it's because I can't quite accept that Katma is dead. Also, that I don't want John to be stripped of his ring--on the theory that he was an excess GL anyway, & now as Wonder Woman's BF the GL editor can get rid of him.

    Or just that I consider the GLC to be so peculiar & messed-up both continuity & science-wise that I just don't want to entangle them with anything. Or that you never know when some fool editor will strip all but one of the GL's of their rings again. Or just that I tend to connect Diana more to the Superman mythos.

    But I really wouldn't have considered John Stewart & Di together.

    Di & John Henry Irons, sure. Maybe not long-term, though.

    Di & J'onn J'onzz, I've seen suggested before & rejected out of hand.

    Wait, are there any other Johns in the JLA?

    Oh, yeah. "Diana's not as brilliant as Batman"??? Wha-aat?

     
  • At March 13, 2008 10:51 PM, Blogger kalinara said…

    Phillipos: I do think Diana's not as brilliant as Batman. At the very least, she's not the scheming strategist he is. She doesn't have the endless amounts of back up plans and while clearly intelligent, doesn't have to rely solely on her mind like he does.

    I think Diana's infinitely wiser, though. She's more mature and with much more common sense.

    I guess I think of it mostly in Dungeons and Dragons type terms, with Batman with the higher Intelligence and Diana with the higher Wisdom. You're free to disagree of course. :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home