Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Saturday, March 22, 2008

On WFA and Recent Discussions

Very recently, two prominent bloggers have publicly stated that they're no longer using WFA. I supposed I ought to say something publicly in response.

There are certain accusations made in the posts that I will not address. Mostly because my bias is fairly obvious in this case. :-) You can probably guess that I would support/defend my partner-in-crime and you'd be right. So let's just consider that done, shall we? (I will say that I have never personally known Ragnell to be passive anything. If there's aggression involved, it's quite active.)

What I will say is that When Fangirls Attack is a niche site. It's not going to suit everyone's tastes and we don't expect anyone who is unsatisfied to keep using it. We're not going to change our mission statement because certain people are unhappy about it and while we are always open for suggestions on how to improve, we're still the ones who are going to make the final decisions about it.

Complaints and criticisms are fine with us, though likely I'll stop to try to answer them because I'm a busybody like that. And while I'm not really one to say "if you don't like it, make your own" I will say that if anyone does decide that our coverage of a certain topic is pitiful or unsatisfying and does want to create their own version to suit their tastes better, we'll be glad for it.

What we don't expect is for anyone to support When Fangirls Attack simply because we're female. That strikes me as utterly ridiculous. Women can make a good product, women can make a bad product, and if our product is not for you, don't use it. Our x-chromosomes can handle the rejection. While WFA is a site themed around the portrayal of women in comic books, there's nothing about it except the name that really indicates that we must be female. There's nothing to stop a man from running a site with the same theme after all. It's just a linkblog.

We expect people to go to WFA for the content linked, not out of some strange motivation to support the endeavors of women. We don't think you're betraying comic-book-feminism, female comic book fans, or womanhood in general if you don't read us.

It's something of a relief if you don't, really.

(On a tangential note, I'm mildly puzzled by Ms. Carlson's choice of title. "Breaks with" carries the connotation that Ms. D'Orazio was in some way affiliated with WFA or its staff. No such affiliation has ever existed.)

11 Comments:

  • At March 22, 2008 1:28 AM, Blogger Ami Angelwings said…

    Everybody is affiliated with WFA! :O We get little WFA microchips implanted in us when we're linked. :O

    >.>

    Oh.. I exposed your plan :( I'm sry :\

    Also *hugs* :) To each their own :D Also cats >.>

     
  • At March 22, 2008 4:38 AM, Blogger LurkerWithout said…

    "We get little WFA microchips implanted in us when we're linked."

    So, THATS what that scar is from...

     
  • At March 22, 2008 4:46 AM, Blogger Ami Angelwings said…

    Which one? :o

    I also implant Ami-Chips in all my followe-.. er... friends. :D

    And my enemies >_>

     
  • At March 22, 2008 4:48 AM, Blogger K. D. Bryan said…

    "We get little WFA microchips implanted in us when we're linked."

    This explains the Voices. Well, at least the ones that keep telling me to go out and buy Manhunter at 3AM. The ones that won't shut up about expensive cheeses and monkeys still baffle me.

     
  • At March 22, 2008 5:02 AM, Blogger kalinara said…

    Damnit. Now that you know I have to kill you all. Then I'll need to find new people to link.

    So inconvenient!

     
  • At March 22, 2008 5:19 AM, Blogger LurkerWithout said…

    I laugh at your feeble threats! And once I've destroyed Ami. And Willow (Wheres my golf championship!). And a couple other people. And the Diamondbacks owners (THEY KNOW WHY!) I will DESTROY YOU! But that might be a while. You can wait in the lobby if you like. I think they put in one of those new fangled veedeo game things. Plus punch & pie. There will always be pie. And sometimes muffins. BUT NOT EVERY DAY!

     
  • At March 22, 2008 8:55 AM, Blogger SallyP said…

    I've read both women's comments about their apparent beef with WFA, and I find myself to be rather perplexed. I read WFA all the time, and am always a tiny bit thrilled when I'm linked, but "When Fangirls Attack" ISN'T an opinion blog, but simply a way to find OTHER blogs that have something important or interesting to say.

    So...how can anyone be upset with it? If you and Ragnell have an opinion about something you feel strongly about, you blog about it in your personal blogs. You may link them, but you don't arbitrarily start shrieking on WFA. I was THERE for the big Meely explosion, and that was only done in the comments. (And a wonderful time was had by all!)

    So frankly, I think that the two Bloggers of Note, can just grow a thicker skin. Or something.

    Sheesh!

     
  • At March 22, 2008 11:13 AM, Blogger Amy Reads said…

    Hi Kalinara,
    I mentioned this on Another Blog, but I will summarize here:
    Thanks to WFA, I found a larger audience for my blog.
    Thanks to the organizers behind WFA, I found a community for my interests.
    (So, Thanks).
    Ciao,
    Amy

     
  • At March 22, 2008 2:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I've been toying with writing about this whole hoo-hah, but keep deciding against it; the people who could benefit wouldn't listen anyway.

    Personally, I appreciate WFA for what it is--a linkblog focused mostly on the portrayal of women in super-hero comics and fan controversies. You guys read/link to a ton of blogs that I don't, and thus, like all link blogs, it's a conveneint "pre-reader" of the Internet.

    I don't see where D'Orazio and Carlson's confusion comes from.

    To me, the word "Fangirls" kinda implies female fans, particularly of super-comics and genre stuff. And hell, another 1/3 of the title has the word "attack" in it. So, being disappointed in WFA being concerend with attacking and fandom seems..odd to me.

    (Similarly, should one be surprised that a woman who calls herself "Ragnell the Foul" online can be abrasive?)

    Both D'Orazio and Carlson seemed to be axe-grinding; D'Orazio could just as easily taken the link off, or never put it up in the first place, without posting on the decision and her rationale which, any way you look at it, is an effort to encourage others to stop using the site too. Something I find a bit ironic, because the only reason I know who D'Orazio is, or that she started blogging after her initial "Goodbye to Comics" stuff, was through WFA links (as well as Journalista and Lying in the Gutters).

    I do hope D'Orazio and Ragnell kind of have some history and that this isn't all just because Ragnell said Church's post was better than D'Orazio's on that one comments thread, because that was hardly a personal thing.

    In the past, what, four days?, D'Orazio has got in online fights of varying degrees and severity with Kevin Church, Chris Sims and Ragnell/WFA. That's a lot of fighting to be everybody else's fault, isn't it?

    Anyway, keep up the work. Could it be better work? Sure, who's couldn't be? Are you guys doing poorly, or something worthless just because two bloggers complained about you publicly this weekend? God no.

    (Sorry to hijack your comments thread for a little tirade here).

     
  • At March 24, 2008 12:02 PM, Blogger Mike Haseloff said…

    I think WFA is stupid for stupid people and everyone who goes there is stupid and I don't like them.



    ... Is my hitcounter running up yet?...

     
  • At March 28, 2008 10:35 AM, Blogger Susan Knowles said…

    I'm kind of confused by the second blogger's post. I mean, I'm not so much into superheroes, but my babblage has occasionally gotten linked. There's usually at least one manga bit in there. And, knowing the two gals who're running this (as a hobby, unpaid), they probably do not go out of their way to look for that stuff, any more than I go out of my way to click the specific capes books links.

    It kind of reads as, "I AM LEAVING YOU BECAUSE YOU DO NOT PAY ME ENOUGH ATTENTION!"

    And, in the end, it's still very silly to say, "HAY GUYS I HAVE STOPPED READING THIS BLOG! THIS IS IMPORTANT NEWS! HEY HEY LOOK AT ME NOT READING THIS THING ON THE INTERNET!"

    (Although I am probably guilty of doing that somewhere in my internet adventuring.)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home