Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Thursday, May 22, 2008

Cap Movie News and Opinions

Interesting that they've decided to set the Cap movie in the past. That'll be fun. Superhero period piece. :-)

I'm guessing then that the Avengers movie will involve them finding/unfreezing Cap. Since the timing'll work out fairly nicely. I have to admit, I would really like to see Movie!Tony and Captain America interact. I wonder if they'll age Cap up a bit, or if he'll correspond to the comics and be in his early twenties. It WOULD be interesting to see how the Iron Man/Captain America friendship works out with a greater age difference between them. Would it end up more mentorly? Heh, considering that no version of Tony that I've ever seen could remotely be described as mature, probably not.

I hope they cast someone attractive. :-) Steve Rogers should be big, sure, but he should also be pretty. :-) I want eye candy darnit.

I'm kind of torn though about whether I would want the Red Skull as the villain or not. I love the Red Skull, honestly. I think he's appropriately scary and iconic and devious. But...how the hell is he going to look anything but ridiculous on the silver screen.

Though to be fair, it's not like Cap would look anything but ridiculous either. I think it can work though. But I truly believe that for Cap to work, they HAVE to avoid the temptation to make him snarky or try to badass up the costume or anything like that. That never works. Be it metallic or cloth, wings on the side of the face or not, that costume will ALWAYS be a little cheesy/silly/ridiculous. They ought to embrace it.

I'm looking forward to the movie. It should be fun. Or stupid. But then I need something to bitch about. :-)

5 Comments:

  • At May 23, 2008 4:17 AM, Blogger LurkerWithout said…

    Dear Marvel Movie Making Guys:

    Please reject your first instinct to make Ultimate Cap. Ult. Cap is a giant a-hole. Please go with the heart of a warrior, soul of a poet 616 Steve...

    Thank you

     
  • At May 23, 2008 8:37 AM, Blogger Jer said…

    What lurkerwithout said.

    I'm glad they're setting it in WWII - Marvel seems to want to start with the "origins" in the first movies. Which I think is a good idea - for most of these characters if their origin stories aren't really compelling, they at least have some really compelling thing at their core that can be exploited. (I will withhold judgment on Thor until I see how the fact that Thor's origin involved an alien invasion force is handled. I can see a half-dozen or so ways to make Thor's origin work if you use the stuff that was later retconned in, but the actual origin story itself just isn't that compelling.)

    As for the Skull - he's a great villain and really should be paired up with Cap. I think they can make it work. For the movie he probably shouldn't be a guy in a mask - he actual head should probably be a discolored skull-form (as happened to the Skull periodically in the comics). Good makeup work combined with some good post-production touch-up CGI can make it work just fine. I'm actually more worried about Cap's costume - that's a tough costume to make work. I think they can probably pull it off, but it won't be easy...

     
  • At May 23, 2008 9:32 AM, Blogger SallyP said…

    Just as long as they don't give him rubber ears.

    *shudder*

     
  • At May 23, 2008 11:03 AM, Blogger LurkerWithout said…

    Maybe they can make the Red Skull Italian again...

     
  • At May 23, 2008 2:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Have it be Baron von Strucker or even better Baron Zemo.

    Baron Von Strucker is connected heavily to A.I.M and especially Hydra. This would make an easy movie to get S.H.I.E.L.D involved with while remaining true to the characters. I say involve SHIELD because they seem to have involved Ultimate Nick Fury and that guy was very hands on with the Ultimates...

    Baron Zemo would be great to because he's got heavy ties with Cap AND the Avengers. Heck he's the guy who first put together the Masters of Evil.

    --Mallet

     

Post a Comment

<< Home