Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Sunday, May 11, 2008

Not looking forward to this one...

I FINALLY got to see one of the commercials for the new Get Smart movie. And...

I don't know.

Steve Carrell's very funny but I don't know if he can really pull off Don Adams. And he certainly doesn't manage that particular Maxwell Smart voice. Still, the commercial was pretty funny.

Anne Hathaway is no Barbara Feldon. Sorry. Just no. My inner eight year old who religiously watched Nick at Nite is crying at the comparison. She's very pretty but...no.

And isn't the age difference between Carrell and Hathaway a bit much? According to IMDB, there's a full 20 age difference! Maybe it's just that I remember her from Princess Diaries a bit too much, but holy hell, I don't want to think of Maxwell Smart as a ephebophile thank you!

Okay, that's probably something of an overreaction. And really, at least it doesn't have Andy Dick.

6 Comments:

  • At May 11, 2008 5:15 AM, Blogger LurkerWithout said…

    Hey lay off Andy Dick. At least he ain't no Tom Green!

    Actually Dick is someone I find tolerable to occasionally amusing as an actor. But EVERY RL appearance or story about him makes me want to punch him in the face. Sadly Jon Lovitz beat me to it...

     
  • At May 11, 2008 5:18 AM, Blogger kalinara said…

    I admit, I know very little about the man's personal life.

    I do know that his general acting talent though does NOT appeal to me. To each their own. :-)

     
  • At May 11, 2008 2:21 PM, Blogger SallyP said…

    I've never quite understood the desire by Hollywood to redo Classic shows. I mean, there is a REASON that they are classic, and putting Steve Martin in for Peter Sellers in the Pink Panther just doesn't work. I like Steve Carell too, but he's no Don Adams.

     
  • At May 11, 2008 9:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The adds for this remind me of the Rocky and Bullwinkle movie they made a while ago. The people who did it may have seen Get Smart, they may remember Get Smart, but they didnt "get" Get Smart.

     
  • At May 13, 2008 8:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I don't know...Carrell was the one things that gave me hope when I heard about the Get Smart movie. I need to see him saying some of the classic lines that Smart was known for before I really declare him as having missed it by that much.

    I am far more concerned with the idea of Frank Miller directing Buck Rogers.

     
  • At May 14, 2008 6:34 AM, Blogger Scott (The Mad Thinker) Anderson said…

    Nick at Night. Ugh. Why are you trying to make me feel old? It's just mean.

    And, yeah, I'm worried about this one too. The show is a classic and I'm worried.

    I used to work in a book store in NYC and Buck Henry came in once. I was working with a guy who didn't recognize him and he tried to out joke Buck Henry. I was both embarrassed and thrilled.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home