Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Thursday, May 29, 2008

Witchblade thoughts, an epilogue

I was thinking about my reaction to the Witchblade poster and why as simpering and irritatingly T&A it is, it doesn't bother me again. And I think I wasn't entirely honest in my last post.

It is true that I give more leeway to series that are established from the start as T&A and I judge them by different standards. I'm not going to hold Tarot, for example, up to the standards that I hold Wonder Woman or Power Girl.

But honestly, that's secondary to the much less reasonable reason. Which is ultimately that I accidently ended up reading an issue of the Witchblade manga. And...well...

It. Can. Always. Get. Worse.

After that, one silly poster is really hard to get worked up about. Egads. (I've heard the anime is somewhat better, but egads.) The sad thing is that Witchblade is one of those concepts that I would have thought would be perfectly compatible with Manga genre stylings. I wasn't expecting THAT though.

I should have learned my lesson when Mallet posted that horrible juicer excerpt.

But anyway, it can't be worse than that. And god willing, since they're courting the comic fans with this, Sara will at least get to be ass kicking. For all that I avoid Witchblade myself because of the T&A, I have to say that I've never heard anything to suggest that Sara Pezzini wasn't appropriately badass.

But yeah, sometimes, it helps to see something that is an abomination against nature to appreciate things that are only mildly annoying. :-)

4 Comments:

  • At May 29, 2008 1:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Never liked comic book Witchblade's uniform. Too impractical. However, I never minded it on Red Sonja. Does that make sense?

     
  • At May 29, 2008 7:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey, Kalinara, did you hear that a Green Lantern movie has been given the go-ahead? I read about it today on comicmix news. I apologize in advance...I suck at linking.

    www.comicmix.com/news/2008/05/29/green-light-for-green-lantern-movie/

     
  • At May 29, 2008 11:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You have to be like me and have built up a resistance to bad books.

    Hell, I'm actually reading "Titans" right now and enjoying it!!!

    Yeah, I have all the Manga issues. Which one did you read?

    Was it the lips issue?

     
  • At May 29, 2008 11:58 PM, Blogger kalinara said…

    I'd talk about it, but I'm working on repressing the memory. :-P

    But no, not the lips one. And I don't want to *know*.

    ...Tell me about that one on AIM, okay?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home