Pretty, Fizzy Paradise

I'm back! And reading! And maybe even blogging! No promises!

Friday, June 27, 2008

Gone A-Visiting

Today I'm visiting my former roommate. It's fun. Mostly we hung around watching silly things. I made her watch bad scifi with me, she made me watch the live action zettai kareshi with her.

It's kind of funny how my mind does/does not work. I've never read the manga it's based from, but somehow remembered the premise enough (my artist friend from France had told me about it) to go "This reminds me of a Yuu Watase manga". All I really remembered was the robot guy wrapped in ribbon on the front. I remember my other friend bitching about what a moron the lead character was.

And she still is. Yeesh. I admit though, I'm marginally more sympathetic to a lonely Office Lady than I am a whiny teenager, and I do understand crushing shyness. But by the point she fell on her sword, so to speak, for the jackass company only to be saved by hot robot guy...well, let's just say my sympathy was rapidly dwindling.

Besides, she was awfully mean/dismissive to the poor robot boy. Yeesh. The bartender character looked interesting though, I liked her. And the human guy who I'm guessing will be another part of the love triangle is attractive, as is, of course, the robot boy who is like eight feet tall.

Naturally this is the sort of romance drama that tends to have more relationshippy stuff than explosions, but I did enjoy seeing the robot go all bionic man briefly.

Night's a ridiculous name. And somehow moreso in live action than anime/manga. I'm not saying it's entirely implausable as I could tell many stories about certain Japanese folk's obsession over (mis)using English. And really, it's no different than the way we wear kanji that we only think we know the answer to, or the names often given to Japanese characters in fanfic...

It still sounds dumb when spoken by real people.

I'm probably going to watch more, but to be honest, I'm a little leery. I've liked it so far, and the characters who aren't the lead are interesting. Robotophile that I am, I particularly liked the robot, naturally. But there is the usual shoujo manga pitfall I tend to find, which is that I have no idea why all these guys seem to be so obsessed with the main character. I mean, sure, she's pretty. But this is tv, where the average person on the street would probably win a beauty contest in real life. She's a pushover who isn't very smart, or even very nice when it comes down to it. I don't know why they like her. That gets to be a real problem for me. I don't need to adore the female character in this sort of love triangle, but I do kind of need to be able to guess why the heroes do.

Well, it's the first episode. She might get less annoying. But then I've never really cared for ANY of Yuu Watase's heroines (though I didn't really hate Miaka. She was a ditz, but she was a sweet, accepting and open-minded sort of ditz and I could see why that appealed, the others that I've read though do nothing for me.)

Hopefully there'll be more robot hijinx. And if not...well...there's always bad scifi. :-P

3 Comments:

  • At June 27, 2008 9:03 AM, Blogger Jeff said…

    I thought you had something good going on with that webcomic you two were doing.

     
  • At June 27, 2008 9:08 AM, Blogger Nick said…

    You a fan of FLCL at all?

     
  • At June 27, 2008 11:43 AM, Blogger kalinara said…

    Jeff: Heh, thanks. I'll pass that along to my artist. We're still doing it, but it's up for serious revamp.

    Nick: Hmm. Not really, honestly. On some level I like what it tries to do, but I find it terribly incoherent. I mean, I think it's SUPPOSED to be, but...it's not to my taste.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home